3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related
View Poll Results: Carb or EFI
Go carbed and save a few bux.
24.14%
Stick with the EFI, pinch my pennies and go in the original direction.
75.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

To carb or not to carb....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Re: To carb or not to carb....

Why do you think I'm joking? I'm a dragracer, I think I should know what I'm talking about, unlike you guys who run street cars. I have a 1986 camaro that I'm playing with right now turning it into a race car.(by the way they are awful drag cars, lol) The camaro has a 4 inch cowl lift off hood and when I take the hood off theres only one thing under the hood, the engine. When you guys pop ur hood theres a blown-up spaghetti factory and about 100-200 pounds of useless crap. and by the way fi has never proven to be a performance advantage over carbs. you guys think it is because all new cars come with it and new cars are producing lots of power theses days for street cars. while in fact what is making these engines have so much power is the redesigning of the long block making them more effiecent. do u realy think fi was created for purposes other then controlling emissions and to meet C.A.F.E. standards? because thats funny, lol lol lol.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by damien8618
Why do you think I'm joking? I'm a dragracer, I think I should know what I'm talking about, unlike you guys who run street cars. I have a 1986 camaro that I'm playing with right now turning it into a race car.(by the way they are awful drag cars, lol) The camaro has a 4 inch cowl lift off hood and when I take the hood off theres only one thing under the hood, the engine. When you guys pop ur hood theres a blown-up spaghetti factory and about 100-200 pounds of useless crap. and by the way fi has never proven to be a performance advantage over carbs. you guys think it is because all new cars come with it and new cars are producing lots of power theses days for street cars. while in fact what is making these engines have so much power is the redesigning of the long block making them more effiecent. do u realy think fi was created for purposes other then controlling emissions and to meet C.A.F.E. standards? because thats funny, lol lol lol.
So where are the pics of this "86 Camaro" of yours? What size motor does it have in it? Is your daily driver a Volkswagon?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:01 PM

Please post pics and timeslips of YOUR drag car. List the specs also.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 PM

i'm just starting the buildup. still has stock suspension. i'm going to build a full frame tube chasis with a 4 link rear suspension, a narrowed 9 inch with 4:30 gears. the moter right now is a powerful 4 bolt main 350 but i'm probably going to sell it and put a 406 in it instead. the tranny is a 700r4 so of course thats going to be yanked for a 400 maybe a 350 maybe a powerglide, not shure yet. the tranny will of corse have a trans brake with a 4,000 rpm stall converter. right now i have my exhaust set up pretty good, long tube headers with s-pipes and 40 series mufflers. I'm going to backhalf it and put a fuel cell and the battery in the hatchback pretty soon. then eventualy i'm going to tear out the interior and build an aluminum interior with big tubs in the rear and a aluminum dash with auto meter gauges. I'm crazy for messing with these third gens, they suck as drag cars, take so much money and work. i could take a s-10, chevy duece, disco nova or a late 70's chevelle and not waste half the money or time. but i do admit these cars do look good.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:24 AM

i'm just starting the buildup. still has stock suspension. i'm going to build a full frame tube chasis with a 4 link rear suspension, a narrowed 9 inch with 4:30 gears. the moter right now is a powerful 4 bolt main 350 but i'm probably going to sell it and put a 406 in it instead. the tranny is a 700r4 so of course thats going to be yanked for a 400 maybe a 350 maybe a powerglide, not shure yet. the tranny will of corse have a trans brake with a 4,000 rpm stall converter. right now i have my exhaust set up pretty good, long tube headers with s-pipes and 40 series mufflers. I'm going to backhalf it and put a fuel cell and the battery in the hatchback pretty soon. then eventualy i'm going to tear out the interior and build an aluminum interior with big tubs in the rear and a aluminum dash with auto meter gauges. I'm crazy for messing with these third gens, they suck as drag cars, take so much money and work. i could take a s-10, chevy duece, disco nova or a late 70's chevelle and not waste half the money or time. but i do admit these cars do look good.
LOL. Well,maybe one day once you have got your drivers' license,maybe this dream your having might work out for you. BUT,until then,stay in school (especially english),stay outta trouble and dont try to swap all those listed parts onto a lawn mower,its just not gonna work out in the end.

P.S. - If you do a little searching around on the internet,theres people running 10's or faster on STOCK STYLE SUSPENSION. I cant remember his name right now,but theres a guy (not on this site) that drag races a 87-ish Z28 twin turbo running 8's or 7's on DRAG RADIAL's.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rice Killer87
LOL. Well,maybe one day once you have got your drivers' license,maybe this dream your having might work out for you. BUT,until then,stay in school (especially english),stay outta trouble and dont try to swap all those listed parts onto a lawn mower,its just not gonna work out in the end.
Originally Posted by Rice Killer87

P.S. - If you do a little searching around on the internet,theres people running 10's or faster on STOCK STYLE SUSPENSION. I cant remember his name right now,but theres a guy (not on this site) that drag races a 87-ish Z28 twin turbo running 8's or 7's on DRAG RADIAL's.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 AM

actually right now I'm going to school at Nashville Auto Desiel College, so I probably know more then you'll ever know. lol I have pics of the car but it wont let me post them. how do u post pics on here?
Old 02-10-2006, 02:08 PM

i want to know why you think fi is something that can be used in dragracing, and i mean real dragracing not streetcars
Old 02-10-2006, 04:42 PM

actually right now I'm going to school at Nashville Auto Desiel College, so I probably know more then you'll ever know. lol I have pics of the car but it wont let me post them. how do u post pics on here?

1st = Nashville Auto Desiel College ???
Yesterday I couldn't even spell mechanic, today I are one !
2nd= "I probably know more then you'll ever know"
Who is this statement referring to ??? I know not me. How many ASE Certifications do you have? I currently have 5
3rd= i'm going to build a full frame tube chasis, I'm going to backhalf it
How do you backhalf it if it's already a "full frame tube chasis" ?

A word of advice- Don't come in here, being a member for 10 days at most, and wear out your welcome already.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 PM

you sound like a dealership mechanic, lol. NADC is the most famous automotive school in the world. what do u have ur ase's in? brakes, general electric, auto transmissions? lol, and this makes you know about drag cars? realy where do you work? pepboys? and i said i was going to back half it soon, eventualy i want a full tube chasis but it would't be any time soon
money is tight while u're in schoool. I'm taking the auto diesel course and the high performance engine course and high performance fabrication. I'll be working for a drag racing team next year while you change oil at your dealership.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 PM

and nobody has answerd my question. why do you guys think fi is something that can be used in a real drag car?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM

the reason drag racers use carbs is for simplicity not because they are superior..the carb in a drag racer as you should know is set up to deliver maximum power at WOT just as a fuel injection setup does .. the difference is that the FI can make maximum power everwhere because it is constantly changing to the demands of whats happening under all kinds of different situations. there is no need for a "drag racer" to make any power at 2000 rpm when the engine only sees 5000 to 10000 rpm..why would a "drag racer" want to spend 5k bucks on a fuel system when they can buy a race carb for 1k bucks.....guys didn't we cover this topic when this site started 8 years ago.....too bad my old user name was corrupted with 2,546 posts
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM

exactly. so why were people laughing at me when I stated what you just stated earlier? fi is for street and carbs are for racing
Old 02-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Guys, isn't Joe O's car EFI ?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:56 PM

carbs are for drag racing.

Really fuel injection is better in most every way unless youre seriously concerned with running single digit 1/4 miles.

FI allows for a way more precise tune, and also allows to compensate automatically for atomspheric changes. Where as a carb is tempermental and needs to be reset if it decides to rain.

Carbs are great for making power for cheap. FI is a better system for anything thats not a 6 second drag car. If you already have FI keep it and you can easily make as much horsepower as you possibly could with the components you have.

I think that pretty much ends this debate no?

come on guys grow up a little, how bored do you have to be that you get amusement from calling each other little kids over the internet? Can we please keep this tech related and informative?

Quick Reply: To carb or not to carb....