2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

More than one V8 in the first year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
That's exactly how I see it.

V6 3.6L - the LLT is @ 302hp (or a derivative)
V8 6.2L - the LS3 is @ 430hp (or a derivative)
Blown V8 6.2L - the LSA is @ 525hp (or derivative of LS9, or ? )

Based on the roadmap for the next few years, those selections make the most sense to me.
i pretty much agree with this lineup but i dont believe that the LLT is going to be the base engine..

i'm thinking they'll use the 3.9L @ 240hp.. maybe the LZ8 w/AFM or the LGD w/ flexfuel
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
i pretty much agree with this lineup but i dont believe that the LLT is going to be the base engine..

i'm thinking they'll use the 3.9L @ 240hp.. maybe the LZ8 w/AFM or the LGD w/ flexfuel
I really hope they don't.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
Originally Posted by RussStang
I really hope they don't.
Ditto.

The LZ8, LGD or even the LZ9 are all too weak for the Camaro V6. It needs closer to 300hp and the LLT would provide that. You want the most popular Camaro (in sales) be able to out perform the top Malibu V6, otherwise, what's the point?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 PM

LLT DI motor wont be base motor for Camaro. Its still exclusive to Caddy. Caddy would look silly if its optional V6 on the 35-40k CTS, and standard engine on the 42k STS would be standard in a 23k Camaro...
275hp 3.6 from the Lambda trio is my bet. More power then the the Malibu, till EPII.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Ditto.

The LZ8, LGD or even the LZ9 are all too weak for the Camaro V6. It needs closer to 300hp and the LLT would provide that. You want the most popular Camaro (in sales) be able to out perform the top Malibu V6, otherwise, what's the point?
The charger/magnum/300s have been using a 190hp V6 for years now and have been selling the CRAP out of them.

The 2.8 is even highly criticized for actually getting lower gas mileage than the 5.7 hemi's.

There are a suprising number of car purchasers today that base 100% of their car purchase on looks, and 0% on performance. Thats why scions are selling and thats why 2.8L 190hp sedans that weigh 4300lbs are selling.

There is a business case for economy mid sized cars and GM knows this. Why not sell a low pow V6 Camaro for that crowd? It will make money for GM. And its not like we will be buying it
Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 AM

forget about it if you want a ls7 so bad then just special order it with your special camaro and do not say you cant do it because many people have done it in the past
Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by squeaks
forget about it if you want a ls7 so bad then just special order it with your special camaro and do not say you cant do it because many people have done it in the past
Like who?

Examples from the 60s aren't valid.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM

That would be cool, but I highly doubt that will ever happen in todays assembly line production world.

Now, getting a shop to drop in the LS7 after you buy it is an entirely different proposition. It just makes it a lot more expensive since you can't lease a crate motor.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM

Why the discussion about V6 options in reference to top HP performance? Really, the V6 version is bought for the standard looks, fuel economy, cheaper insurance rates, ect.... If your going for power then you will need the V8 versions and sacrifice your priorities for the aforementioned features for power.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by mpilarZ281992
Why the discussion about V6 options in reference to top HP performance? Really, the V6 version is bought for the standard looks, fuel economy, cheaper insurance rates, ect.... If your going for power then you will need the V8 versions and sacrifice your priorities for the aforementioned features for power.
Because 2/3rds of all Camaros sold will be V6s; therefore they must also perform at the top of their class.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Ummmm.....okay .
Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 PM

I agree, could have sworn the thread title was "More than one V-8 in the first year".
Clyde
Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 AM

Thinking like this led to HORRIBLE sales of the V6 4th gen Camaro.

V6 does NOT mean that the person does not want a well performing car.

Here is the thing. Camaro is a sports coupe. Muscle car, pony car, sports car,w hatever you want to lable it or use some sort of cute name, its a sports coupe. People expect a level of performance from a sport coupe. Now since Camaro is not some random car that GM just created, and it has a history, that Camaro must live up to a higher standard. To just forget about the V6 because only enthusiasts buy V8's is STUPID thinking, and will kill the 5th gen. It makes people feel like they had to "settle" for a lesser car when they should feel happy about owning a great car that handles well, performes well, and is economical.
They should not have to pony up several thousand dollars more for a V8 if they just want a solid sports coupe.
People should look at Camaro and go WOW THAT IS A GREAT CAR!
And when they drive it, they should get that same feeling, AT EVERY LEVEL!! They get the V6 because its in thier budget, but its also because they feel that the car he or she is buying is something that makes them happy, not cause they wanted a V8, but couldtn afford one, so they guess they will just get the lesser V6.

This type of mentality is right next to 502 Carbed Big Block 5th gen, and a solid rear 12 bolt axle. Engine + Box = fun.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
V6 does NOT mean that the person does not want a well performing car.
I am not so sure. I see it as there are two different types of V6 buyers: those that want, but can't afford the V8; and those that just want a well priced, cool looking, four seat coupe. I also have a suspicion that most fall into the latter category. Sure, if it handles well and is fun to drive, that is a bonus, but not the main reason for the purchase.

So, for majority (as I see it) V6 buyer, things like looks, fuel economy, interior quality and practicality are tops--if not the entire--list to compare cars. The hp won't be an issue, as long as it is close to the competition (250-275hp will be more than enough).

Now, the "want a V8" guys will want as much hp as possible, but I don't think that is a large population. Of course, there are those that fall into this category, but how many in the grand scheme of things?

The Mustang V6 is no barn-burner. Heck, it has 58 less hp than a Camry or Accord and is an awful sporty car (severely underdamped/floaty suspension, poor gearing, no power, etc.), yet it sells well because it hits all the important areas (for the V6 buyer) well.

Last edited by Rampant; 11-08-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rampant

The Mustang V6 is no barn-burner. Heck, it has 58 less hp than a Camry or Accord and is an awful sporty car (severely underdamped/floaty suspension, poor gearing, no power, etc.), yet it sells well because it hits all the important areas (for the V6 buyer) well.
How many more buyers might it bring in along with the 2 demographics you targeted? There could be a completely undeveloped demographic out there for a v6 car that performs well.

Quick Reply: More than one V8 in the first year?