2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The latest word on the Z28 nameplate...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Re: The latest word on the Z28 nameplate...

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
That's all well and good (pretty cool, actually). But in your post, you asked, "What makes you think that stock [emphasis added] 1st gen. Z/28s were not capable of a rapid rate of acceleration?" Then you threw out a time for a vehicle that is FAR from stock. That's where the disconnect is, I think.
You know, it's just pointless trying to have decent discussions with a forum full of people that want to pick every post/fact apart. I'm content in my knowledge of what first gen. Z/28s would and would not do, you all will be content with whatever you think, so be it. If you want to take some magazines word as the gospel truth for what cars did back in the day, do so. If you think every car out on the street is bone stock showroom condition, so be it. I'm really tired of the constant misinformation so often presented on this forum, and frankly just don't give a damn anymore about correcting anyones perceptions. So I'll do you all a big favor and just keep my mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard) and everyone can be happy with whatever they want to believe.
Clyde
Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
You know, it's just pointless trying to have decent discussions with a forum full of people that want to pick every post/fact apart. I'm content in my knowledge of what first gen. Z/28s would and would not do, you all will be content with whatever you think, so be it. If you want to take some magazines word as the gospel truth for what cars did back in the day, do so. If you think every car out on the street is bone stock showroom condition, so be it. I'm really tired of the constant misinformation so often presented on this forum, and frankly just don't give a damn anymore about correcting anyones perceptions. So I'll do you all a big favor and just keep my mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard) and everyone can be happy with whatever they want to believe.
Clyde
No need to get mad about it. No one is picking everything apart. You basically implied that a "stock" '69 Z/28 can run 10s @ 125 mph. Not going to happen. Talk about misinformation.

All STOCK1SC said was that the car didn't seem to be stock. He didn't say older cars weren't capable of this or that (when set up appropriately), just that this car seemed faster than a stock car should be. While I'll agree that it is sort of tough to visually "see" and gauge acceleration, you seemed to take offense and asked what makes him think a stock Z/28 wouldn't be able to rapidly accelerate (a fair question). Then you backed it up with a heavily modified car's time in the quarter mile, which made no sense.

Then you asked how many cars stay "stock". Well, that is sort of the point. He said the car didn't seem to be stock because it was so fast, then you act as though a stock car COULD be that fast, then you say the cars rarely remain stock anyway (which would support his observation that the Z/28 he saw wasn't stock). I don't really see what we are debating here?

I mean, perhaps it would have been more clear / less likely to spur you to respond if his original sentence had been something like, "even though '69 Z/28s are pretty fast as they come, this car must have been modded, because it was accelerating far more quickly than a stock car should be capable of doing."

It really seems like the disconnect is in what you consider to be "stock" vs. what STOCK1SC considers to be "stock". Streetable is not the same as stock. Having common mods that lots of people do is not the same as stock. And while I'm sure lots of guys did change the cars to make them faster, I bet it wasn't exactly the norm to have every Z/28 you come across able to run mid 10s in the 1/4 mile. That isn't just casual modding with headers, wide tires, and stuff. That is a little more involved, even in a relatively lightweight car, I'm guessing.

EDIT: I think maybe I see where you are coming from here, and I don't mean to be presumptuous. Cars WERE very traction limited back then, in stock form, and with those big cube engines and minimal emissions (and no electronic / computer controls to have to fight through), it probably was fairly common to see guys running wide tires, headers, bigger cams, etc. and seeing solid gains. It sounds like you probably spent a lot of time around cars like this, and you see cars running 12s and 13s that, when bone stock (and tested by the magazines) were only capable of 14s. So that's what the cars were capable of doing in the eyes of those of you who were doing it, whereas some of us only have magazine records (or stories from guys like you who were there) to go by.

Remember, though, that this sort of thing still goes on. Lots of guys on this board have 12 second 4th gen Z28s that could only do 14.0 as delivered. And it won't be long before someone buys one of these badass new ZL1s and turns up the wick, turning 550+hp into 700. We'll see some of these in the 10s and 11s pretty soon.

Last edited by 96_Camaro_B4C; 02-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Holy cow, why do these things always go from upcoming cars to something build 40 plus years ago and then somehow dilute into some amazingly smaller details? It's a total "who can pee further" contest. We're all entitled to a mis-type, mis-qoute, or mistake. It happens. Just be excited we have a new car to talk about at all. Remember 2002???
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Yeah - I also think the Z28 will return within the current Generation.

And that it will basically be a Tuned SS(at least 450hp), with suspension upgrades. It will targeted as the new BOSS Mustang.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by krj-1168
Yeah - I also think the Z28 will return within the current Generation.

And that it will basically be a Tuned SS(at least 450hp), with suspension upgrades. It will targeted as the new BOSS Mustang.
That's an easy money bet right there!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
Bob, I addressed most of this in my other reply. I agree with your statement, but again, how many "strickly stock showroom condition" cars are there on the street. We had guys back then running street slicks all the time, most everybody I hung out with in those days was all about what they had done to make their car better, faster, etc., not about how close they could keep it to showroom condition.
Clyde
I don't wish to get into an internet pissing contest with ya (been in a few of those over the years! LOL), and I totally agree with your statement above. Heck, every new car I've ever bought stayed stone stock for less than 2 months! My current Vette might stay that way for a few more though....

I would, however, suggest that an NHRA Stock Eliminator is far more than a typical modified street car. It is, in fact, a no-compromise race car to the extreme (made even more impressive by the strict restrictions). Stock Eliminator also happens to be my favorite class, though I never got a chance to run it ($$$$, and I got into the Mustang heads-up stuff).

Peace!
Bob
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

I would bet that fewer than 10% of all 5th gen Z28s sold will be modified by their owners. A large portion of those who do modify it will do nothing more than install a K&N air filter, maybe mufflers or a catback exhaust, and one of those pre-programmed tunes from Hypertech or similar.

People who do more extensive modifications to their cars are extremely rare. That group just happens to coincide significantly with people who care about the car enough to post about it on an internet forum.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM

if i got a z28, depending on what it actually consist of, i would just do headers ,exhaust, intake. assuming the wheels and tires are sufficient and the suspension is track ready.