2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The latest word on the Z28 nameplate...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 AM
MP

Re: The latest word on the Z28 nameplate...

Z284ever talked to the Camaro team, and says the Z28 is coming on the GMI Camaro forum.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
What makes you think that stock 1st gen. Z/28s were not capable of a rapid rate of acceleration? The NHRA D/S record currently held by a '67 Z/28 is 10.45 @ 124.
Clyde
I guess the use of the word "stock" in my reply to you and me mean different things, a stock off the showroom floor Z28 with no mods was a 14 second car. This car had huge tires out back and just leaped down the road from a 45mph roll spinning the tires and the tires on this thing were much wider than stock.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Here's a picture of that 10.45 Z/28....

There is no comparison between a truly stock car off the factory floor and an NMRA Stock Eliminator race car.

PS....it went 126 mph vice 124.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Well, the Z/28 name is definitely not going to go to waste. The General wouldn't let that happen.

Just by logical deduction, it seems that the 5th gen Z/28 is probably going to be competition for the new Mustang Boss. Track oriented....maybe slightly lighter than the SS. The press reports for the ZL1 are saying that weight reduction efforts have kept it on par with the SS....if those same weight reduction efforts are used on a theoretical Z/28 but it gets a naturally aspirated, smaller displacement V8 (I believe the current theory is that the new vette will have a 5.5L V8 derived from the C6R program? maybe that'll go into the Z/28) or a TT-V6, we could be looking at a 40k Z/28 that weighs in closer to 3750.

I held off on the Camaro because I felt that more could be done with chassis tuning to give it a livelier feel, and on the hope that we might get a TT-V6 for a lighter curb weight and similar acceleration. The last year has seen my income nearly double and 18 months from now I'll have a very large lump sitting in the bank due to a deployment. I sincerely hope that we get a Z/28 like what I've just described. I would definitely buy it.

As for what it's going to look like.....I think we can safely assume we already know. Just as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen previewed an essentially complete version of what the ZL1 ended up looking like, I believe that the new Transformers: Dark of the Moon (releasing this summer) previews the Z/28. I'll attach a few pictures. (if I violate any forum rules by linking to these pics, admins, please just delete the links...I don't want to step on toes)

These pictures show track-oriented bodywork, with a larger, fixed rear spoiler, front splitter, and additional, functional rear ducts for the brakes. The rear end looks to be completely flat underneath as well. While it isn't possible for this car to have rear exhaust and a functional rear diffuser due to noise regs and the requirement for mufflers, cleaning up the underbody airflow can still pay dividends in reducing drag and lift. Also, very hard to see but definitely present are louvers in the hood, which would aid in cooling as well as reduce pressure under the front of the car, decreasing lift. Hello, Z/28.

This car would be EXTREMELY attractive to me. Better handling feel is really the only thing I want out of the platform...I've made my peace with the weight issue. Chevrolet, and Scott, did a phenominal job with the car overall, as evidenced by it's out of the box trackworthyness. Car and Driver's Lightning Lap feature fully convinced me of this...while the car was noted as understeering and plowing, it still turned in a lap time only .3 seconds slower than the 2011 Mustang GT with the track package, optional performance tires, and 3.73 gearing...a car that weighed 200lbs less. And the Camaro was praised for it's brakes, which simply did not fade, while the Mustang, even in track-pack brembo equipped guise, still had some small fade issues. So yes...it's too heavy. But if they can improve the steering feel, and maybe offer a 40k Z/28 package that weighs in just a tad under the LS....it would be absolutely unstoppable. Do. Want.

Last edited by boxerperson; 02-13-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM

If that is true, things I definitely DON'T want to see on a Z28 is that crazy spoiler, those stripes, and that lower grill. Everything else is good, it's mostly the Leno concept. There have always been Z28 implications with that car. It does need new rims though. Those have been around for a while already and are probably not lightweights.

The spoiler is over the top and kinda ricer-like, there should be a high lip spoiler on a Z28. The stripes are not real Z28 stripes and don't flow good with the car. Actual Z28 stripes (like the Bumblebee or Convertible Concept) will be difficult to pull off with that hood that has louvers off to the side. Louvers might remind me of IROCs and GTAs but I'd rather see the TF2 hood and stripes. Besides, the ZL1 has louvers. Also, the front lower grill with that bland/flat area before the netting is just odd. I've also seen nicer splitters on these cars than those, the Leno ones were nice. It's a good base to start with though. The upper grill, front and rear functional brake ducts, and smoothed out diffuser are winners.

Last edited by IZ28; 02-13-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM

it's mostly the Leno concept.

yeeep.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by RikChapman
I would like to see the Z/28 have:

The dry sump LS3 from the GS Corvette. All the Vette guy's racing wet sumped cars were eating motors up. It would be nice to know the motor actually could survive being road raced. An LS7 would be nice, but it would push the price of the car up too much.

A light weight flywheel with a dual disc clutch. It might take a little getting used to, but the motor would "feel" a ton more responsive and free revving.

TR6060 with a unique gear set aimed at road racing.

The heavy duty driveshaft and rear axle assembly from the ZL1, including the 3.73 gear ratio.

Also steal the brakes from the ZL1.

For suspension, just install the complete Pfadt (or Pedders) catalog. The magnetic shocks are awesome, but they lack user adjustability, a must if the Z/28 is to be a serious track car.

Lightweight wheel and tire combo.

Throw the track mufflers, from the Chevy parts catalog, in the trunk as an end user installed option, they aren't legal in some states. They would add horsepower and save weight.

And last but not least, shed weight where possible.
What this guy said.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:37 AM

Re: Well....... Heres the bottom line!

Originally Posted by Htron50
What we all know, is the Boss 302 will not beat a GT500.
I think you got that backwards... At least I would hope with everything Ford claims went into the Boss and Boss boss 302 laguna seca as a track ready road racing street car, the GT500 shouldnt hold a candle to it.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by boxerperson
As for what it's going to look like.....I think we can safely assume we already know. Just as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen previewed an essentially complete version of what the ZL1 ended up looking like, I believe that the new Transformers: Dark of the Moon (releasing this summer) previews the Z/28. I'll attach a few pictures. (if I violate any forum rules by linking to these pics, admins, please just delete the links...I don't want to step on toes)

Revenge of the Fallen Camaro had the hood scoop. The one you posted is of the new Transformers movie and was a preview of the ZL1 that were seeing now. That doesn't mean that aspects wont also be borrowed for the Z/28 but I just wanted to point that out.

Revenge of the Fallen Camaro

Upcoming Transformers 3 Camaro

ZL1

Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby

There is no comparison between a truly stock car off the factory floor and an NMRA Stock Eliminator race car.

Now THIS is BADASS!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
Now THIS is BADASS!!!

No doubt. I bet it isn't the nicest thing to drive on the street though.

I'd take a ZL1 without batting an eye.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
I guess the use of the word "stock" in my reply to you and me mean different things, a stock off the showroom floor Z28 with no mods was a 14 second car. This car had huge tires out back and just leaped down the road from a 45mph roll spinning the tires and the tires on this thing were much wider than stock.
And how many Camaros stay stock exactly as they came off the showroom floor? Don't you see post after post of mods people are doing to their cars? And it was no different back in the day, my '69 Z/28 stayed "showroom condition" for about 24 hours after I too delivery at the dealer, air injection reactor (smog pump) and the distributor were the first two things changed. And that was only the very beginning of the mods I did. You would have been hard pressed to find a showroom conditiopn Z/28 or any other V8 Camaro on the street back then, my '67 Camaro 327/210hp two barrel three speed got modded also two years before I bought the Z/28. I get tickled with people on forums, most post avidly about modding their cars, then when you give an example of something from the past they immediately scream "it's not stock", well how many are or were "not stock". Most of the people I ran around with in the '60s and '70s all modded their cars, regaredless of make or model. Get reall!
Clyde
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby

Bob, I addressed most of this in my other reply. I agree with your statement, but again, how many "strickly stock showroom condition" cars are there on the street. We had guys back then running street slicks all the time, most everybody I hung out with in those days was all about what they had done to make their car better, faster, etc., not about how close they could keep it to showroom condition.
Clyde
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
And how many Camaros stay stock exactly as they came off the showroom floor? Don't you see post after post of mods people are doing to their cars? And it was no different back in the day, my '69 Z/28 stayed "showroom condition" for about 24 hours after I too delivery at the dealer, air injection reactor (smog pump) and the distributor were the first two things changed. And that was only the very beginning of the mods I did. You would have been hard pressed to find a showroom conditiopn Z/28 or any other V8 Camaro on the street back then, my '67 Camaro 327/210hp two barrel three speed got modded also two years before I bought the Z/28. I get tickled with people on forums, most post avidly about modding their cars, then when you give an example of something from the past they immediately scream "it's not stock", well how many are or were "not stock". Most of the people I ran around with in the '60s and '70s all modded their cars, regaredless of make or model. Get reall!
Clyde
That's all well and good (pretty cool, actually). But in your post, you asked, "What makes you think that stock [emphasis added] 1st gen. Z/28s were not capable of a rapid rate of acceleration?" Then you threw out a time for a vehicle that is FAR from stock. That's where the disconnect is, I think.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
No doubt. I bet it isn't the nicest thing to drive on the street though.
It wouldn't be a daily driver by any means, but it could be fun on the street regardless.

Quick Reply: The latest word on the Z28 nameplate...