2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Car and Driver says Mustang wins

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 PM

They are absolutly right. The nicest car on the lot at my local chevy dealer is an 08 mustang gt vert.
So long GM, wish I never met you.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 PM

You have to put the article into context... the Mustang is still a great car for what it offers especially at a circuit. But would it be as good on low quality roads - the article doesn't make mention? The Challenger is also good for what it offers but it's not exactly a circuit weapon. On the other hand, Camaro would be the best all-rounder for the street and strip, I'd imagine - IRS, brakes and power.

It's your money, your choice. Just be thankful you have the choice.

However, I did notice C&D didn't publish any circuit times, which is always a good indicator of any car's dynamic qualities? The go-stop test is just too one dimensional for my liking.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by boomer78
Nice, you're taking away an OPTION on the car to lower the ability on a car?
Its not like they got a whole bunch of aftermarket parts here....
They might not be aftermarket parts, but they're certainly a vast improvement over the standard equipment. According to Ford, the Track Pack will improve lateral grip from 0.90g to 0.93g, drops the stopping distance by 10 feet (from the 120-range to the 110-range), and allows the car to carry about 2 mph more through a lane change test or a slalom. Ford also says on a racetrack with about a 1:20 baseline lap time, the Track Pack will improve lap times by 3 seconds. That's pretty significant.

Why not have a Camaro SS, with its standard equipment, vs. a Mustang GT with its standard equipment? The problem is that the Mustang's standard equipment can't really stand up to the Camaro's, so the comparison tests would look like a total blowout. And the magazines can't have that happening...too-close-to-call tests will sell more magazines.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
The powertrain is one thing that should have gone solidly for the Camaro, IMO.
Agreed (well at least until the 5.0 comes out), although I get the feeling that alot of these magazine guys have a thing for extra valves, cams and gears.

and as for the Track Pack, usually these guys ask for the cars like that, I remeber one of the mags roasting the earlier S-197s for only coming with an all season tire (speaking of the GTs).

Of course whats all this really mean? Yeah GM, you need to get off your duff and offer a track pack too!

Last edited by bossco; 05-26-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 PM

This notion that C&D is anti-Camaro is simply absurd. I've been reading C&D for over 3 decades, and if anything, they've always been a big fan of the Camaro and have always shown it support.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Another meaningless editorial by a self important magazine. Seriously, does anyone really go into the market for one of these three cars and not have one picked out already?

-Geoff
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IZ28
C&D is no friend to the Camaro, they've insulted the cars on more than one occassion. The Camaro winning every other comparison so far besides this one makes it null and void IMO.
Give two examples or can it with the baseless claims of bias. If there's any magazine that's been pro-Camaro for ages, it's Car and Driver.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
They might not be aftermarket parts, but they're certainly a vast improvement over the standard equipment. According to Ford, the Track Pack will improve lateral grip from 0.90g to 0.93g, drops the stopping distance by 10 feet (from the 120-range to the 110-range), and allows the car to carry about 2 mph more through a lane change test or a slalom. Ford also says on a racetrack with about a 1:20 baseline lap time, the Track Pack will improve lap times by 3 seconds. That's pretty significant.

Why not have a Camaro SS, with its standard equipment, vs. a Mustang GT with its standard equipment? The problem is that the Mustang's standard equipment can't really stand up to the Camaro's, so the comparison tests would look like a total blowout. And the magazines can't have that happening...too-close-to-call tests will sell more magazines.
Actual tests have shown it hit 0.95g

Straight forward yes/no question/answer. Is it not a FACTORY PART? (YES)
Are you just upset that an option that is FACTORY EQUIPMENT performs so well?
It doesn't matter if it comes as a standard option or not in the base price/options. It's a box ANYONE can order FROM THE FACTORY.

It's easy to say something would perform better/worse with different parts.
One has that option, the other doesn't.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
You're forgetting these mags tend to cater to enthusiasts. Clearly, the mustang GT in base form is the cheapest of the 3 cars. In order to get a GT close to the performance and price of the more expensive base 1SS camaro and Challenger R/T, options have to be added.How's comparing a 28k car to a 30k car any more fair since you seem concerned with keeping things on a level field?

At the end of the day, the price is comparable (you can actually get a base GT with a track pack for less than a base 1SS) and the cars are factory stock...that to me is more than fair.

I just got my C&D today and was reading the test. Summing all the different tests from Edmunds, MT, C&D of the 3 cars: The camaro offers the best of both worlds (refinement and performance), the GT with the track-pack is pretty damn impressive and is a lightweight relative to the other 2, and the Challenger R/T is one sexy cruiser but its size and weight hurt its performance (especially in the handling department). All 3 have their strengths and weaknesses and the choice boils down to your personal preferences. It's a very good time to be in the market for a pony car.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Give two examples or can it with the baseless claims of bias. If there's any magazine that's been pro-Camaro for ages, it's Car and Driver.
Doubt it, both of these are beat downs on the Camaros image by C&D. Until they get a hold of their writers and their comments, I could care less if they went out of business tomorrow.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...N1c2VkLWNhcnM-

Last edited by IZ28; 05-27-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by bossco
Of course whats all this really mean? Yeah GM, you need to get off your duff and offer a track pack too!
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bossco
Yeah GM, you need to get off your duff and offer a track pack too!

Originally Posted by IZ28
Doubt it, both of these are beat downs on the Camaros image by C&D. Until they get a hold of their writers and their comments, I could care less if they went out of business tomorrow.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...N1c2VkLWNhcnM-
In both of those cases, it looks to me like C&D is bashing the stereotypical Camaro owner, and saying nothing at all about the car.

Good job actually coming back with evidence, but try again. We're looking for anti-Camaro bias here, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 AM

I think it is Jake with the Anti camaro bias. Either that or he thinks he is just all high and mighty. Can't decide which.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Well, as far as I'm concerned, this is going to be a battle that will go back and forth between the Camaro and the mustang for years to come. Actually, I really hope it does continue, because that is the whole idea of the "pony wars!" Every now and then, the mustang has to be on top because that only means that GM needs to one up them again to get on top, and that all equals better products for you and me no matter which one you like (though I would take a Camaro over a mustang any day, that's my opinion and NO one will change that)!!

No matter what GM and ford can and will make packages to make their vehicle better, and I don't really think that is a fair comparison of which is a better vehicle. First, no matter what it is an opinion of which you like over the other. Second, I think that if you want to really compare and find out which is the better vehicle, then you need to compare the lowest level base line car that either company offers (yes the stripped down V6 model, God forbid). Reason being, that is the vehicle that CAN be afford by the largest amount of people. Sure not everyone can even afford the base line, but and the flip side, not everyone can afford the extra money to ge the TOP of the line. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the V8 if I want and I again would take that over the mustang V8 any day, because I think it is an all around better vehicle.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
In both of those cases, it looks to me like C&D is bashing the stereotypical Camaro owner, and saying nothing at all about the car.

Good job actually coming back with evidence, but try again. We're looking for anti-Camaro bias here, ladies and gentlemen.
I have to disagree. They do not care about printing possible damaging things about the car, it's beyond critisizm. Anything nice said about the 5th was said in almost a forced, "yeah it's pretty good, but whatever" kind of way. I read other 5th Gen boards and apparently they have been this way towards the Camaro for a while now, I don't have proof of that though, just going by what they claim. I haven't been following magazine articles until recently, all the good info is usually online.

Their "gotta have it" factors are also a joke. As is their reasoning for liking the M*stang because "it never went away." There's alot of idiots over at that magazine. C&D didn't exist to me before, now they really don't. I know they recieved quite a few e-mails over those bashing articles. Funny that they are the only ones to not rate the Camaro number one. Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited by IZ28; 05-27-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver says Mustang wins