Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

I have 18x10.5 rims for the rear with a 58mm offset, will 295's fit?

Old 05-30-2006, 12:10 PM

I have 18x10.5 rims for the rear with a 58mm offset, will 295's fit?

Looks like my wheels are a 58 mm offset since they have 58 stamped on the back. I was going to run 265/40/17's up front and 295/35/18's out back. I know I will need some hammering but I can't tell if they will fit or not. The FAQ section dances all around my sizes but doesn't quite hit them. Does this mean they won't work? With the wheel sitting on the car without tires it looks possible but I can't tell.

Has anyone used this size/offset wheel before?

TIA
Old 05-30-2006, 12:37 PM

Re: I have 18x10.5 rims for the rear with a 58mm offset, will 295's fit?

I can't help with the offset question, but I can tell you about the tire sizes you're thinking of.

Okay, I had 285's on my previous set of 17X9.5 wheels. Fit nicely. Then I bought a set of 19X10.5's USED off of eBay with a set of 275's on 'em. People are wondering how the heck the tires are staying on the wheels. They're kinda football shaped because the tires are too narrow for the wheels.

whenever I get the money to upgrade, I'm looking at 315's for the front and either 335's or 345's for the rear. Then I'm going on welfare.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

The FAQ "dances around" these issues because there are no ABSOLUTE answers. Some people bolt on 11" wide 50mm offset (7.93" backspace) wheels with 315/35 tires and claim they have NO problems at all - no hammering, no fender lip rolling, no interference with the jounce bumper brackets, etc. I had to do several of these things, and its beyond me how anyone could not have to cut the jounce bumper brackets, after seeing mine, but people say they have no problems. Others put 335 tires on the back with "no problems".... I can't figure out how they do it.

You are trying to put a wheel on which I calculate has an 8.00" backspace.... but that is just a CALCULATION. To calculate the backspace (and that's what determines, in part, if the inside edge of the tire is going to rub) I have to ASSUME the width of the flanges that hold the tire bead on the rim. There is NO standard for this dimension.... it varies from wheel to wheel. Only the wheel manufacturer can give you the exact backspace of the wheel (or you could measure it yourself, since you already have the wheels).

Then there's the actual section width of the tire. People who claim their tires don't rub often have Nittos. They claim the Nitto 315's for example, are actually narrower than some manufacturer's 295 section tires. Even the dimensions on the Nitto wesite don't agree with that, but people are measuring them and finding they are narrower than published. Its the backspace of the wheel PLUS the section width of the tire that will determine if they rub.

I'm not willing to take a whole bunch of ASSUMED dimensions, and GENERALIZED dimensions, and tell anyone that the particular wheel/tire will absolutley fit with no problems. It isn't a realistic expectation for the FAQ. They are intended as GUIDELINES. You are taking a wheel which I BELIEVE has a deeper backspace, then putting a tire with a section width that may be less than my 315's, and hoping the two will cancel out and you won't have any problems.

Unless you find someone with exactly the same wheels, exactly the same tires - including manufacturer and model, and a car that was built to exactly the same dimensions within the build tolerances of the assembly line, there's no way anyone can give you the exact, guaranteed answer.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:01 AM

Interesting....so my backspacing could very a little bet depending on the width of the flange? Am I understanding that right?

By your calctulation (assuming the width of the flange) if I lay a straight edge across the back side of the wheel and measure down to the hub it should be 8 inches, correct? And using this same method yours measures 7.93 inches?

I know I am not going to get an exact answer. I am just trying to get some help/guidance from some people that are a little more experienced than me. Sounds like I may have found at least one person that fits that bill. I need to see how likely this is going to be before I sink any $$$ into tires. I can sell the wheels easier by themselves if I decide to do so.

I am going to measure these things and I am curious if I have understood what you said Injuneer.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Yes... you measure backspace with a straight edge across the outside of the wheel flange, and measure straight down to the hub mounting surface. That is the critical dimension.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:27 PM

Well, it is a little over 8 inches, maybe 8 1/8th inch. That isn't sounding too good if I understand you correctly. What advice do you have now? Running 295/35/18's I think my sidewall will be a 1/2 inch taller than yours also.....

TIA