V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

What Intake, Headers, Exhaust, etc...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 PM

Re: What Intake, Headers, Exhaust, etc...?

Ever since ive installed my Magnaflow exhaust, there seems to be a whistle noise coming from my car. Its a 98 3.8L. Its not annoying or anything, im just curious. Ive had people ask me if there was a turbo in it. Its kind of strange. Any insight would be great!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:27 PM

Do you have a CAI? My K&N whistles like a turbo sometimes. Sounds cool.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:01 PM

what kind of sound do you think I should expect if I were to run straights on my 96 3.8? I dont really have to worry about the legalities of it, in this small town where everyone does favors for everyone.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Are proflow any good ?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:03 AM

everyone is talking about the whisper lid...and K and N filter if it add's any gains and how us 98-02 guys are only limited to the Ram air designed air box...well i got sick of searching for a whisper air lid and everything else because over all it doesnt do to much...So i fabbed up something myself...

I went on ebay and bought a 2 piece 93-97 Z28 cold air intake kit for cheap (it was like 40$ shipped for everything)...i completly REMOVED the whole air box and everything. To your far right of the engine bay you will see a hole about 6" by 6" going down through the frame and into the bottom of your fender...i Routed the intake going through that hole and put the filter in the fender. The only part i had to buy to make this work on our cars was 2 90 degree hoses from lowes or home depot for about 15$. After i had everything installed (about 1 hour total) i started my car up and took it for a ride....It sounds 100% better and gives your exhaust a throatier sound AND i actually noticed a little more pull....this might not add too much hp over the ram air deisgn on top end...but it DEFF. performaned way better in the low/ mid range area. Not to mention i think it looks MUCH cleaner without the whole air box and everything infront.

If anyone wants to see this they can check out my car domain...its on page 2

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415
Old 04-12-2006, 04:03 AM

kidcamaro98, I have a 2002, I have a K&N filter, and a SLP whisper lid
Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 PM

I own a 2002 Camaro V-6. I just instaled some pace setter headers along with the "Y" pipe that came with it. everything is doen except one thing, the metal hose that goes on the driver side. it looks like it does a feed back to the intake. its very difficult to install back in. i ripped a side of it but still fixable. should i replace it?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:29 PM

i think you're talking about the egr
yeah, you need that thing working
Old 05-20-2006, 11:19 AM

is there any true dual kits available for a 1996 3.8L rs? If not, what's the closest souding exhaust kit to a true dual?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:13 PM

i've never heard of true duals, but there are x and h pipes
v6 needs backpressure, so you'd want to run SMALL pipes!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:22 PM

so closeset sounding i guess (to a v8) is x or h pipe?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:57 AM

i hear it helps, but I dont really know about that
Old 07-22-2006, 11:05 PM

I have a 95 3.4 v6, a long time ago we put a flowmaster on it i dont know what force and put dual pipes out of it, i removed the CAT totally and have a straight pipe, the car idles nicely and low rpm rumbles like a v8, i love it, but as the RPM rises it sounds more and more horrid and raspy, i think there are heat shields loose somewhere cuz i hear a metal to metal ambient at certain rpms, should i revamp my whole exhaust system? i have no clue what would sound good, i dont like CATs because they can clog and smell, and i want something that will sound good at all rpms, most of the guys where i am at have SS's or SVTs and suck at advice..so maybe you guys can help..i dont want to spend a fortune but i believe you get what you pay for so any suggestions might help..thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 AM

I have a 96' 3800 series Camaro with dual flowmaster (not true dual) and was wanting to put a K&N Cold Air Intake on it. A friend of mine told me about Corvettes having a Twin Air Intake system and that I should get one placed on my car and put dual Cold-Air. Is this possible and if it is then will that increase the power and/or gas mileage? Another thing, could it possibly hurt my engine with 2 Cold-Air Intake systems by making the engine too cold?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by The_Underdawg
I have a 96' 3800 series Camaro with dual flowmaster (not true dual) and was wanting to put a K&N Cold Air Intake on it. A friend of mine told me about Corvettes having a Twin Air Intake system and that I should get one placed on my car and put dual Cold-Air. Is this possible and if it is then will that increase the power and/or gas mileage? Another thing, could it possibly hurt my engine with 2 Cold-Air Intake systems by making the engine too cold?
#1 Totally impossible unless you have some custom fabbing done and for the price of that, you're WAY WAY better off just getting a CAI as it will be much cheaper and the difference will probably be only that of 1 or 2 HP.

#2 lol, No... There's absolutely NO WAY an Intake will affect engine running temperature... The only thing Cold Air Intake does is suck in dense air from the ground which is almost always colder than the air above...

Quick Reply: What Intake, Headers, Exhaust, etc...?