V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Is this V6 Worth Buying? Can it be supercharged/turbocharged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Question Is this V6 Worth Buying? Can it be supercharged/turbocharged?

I'm debating buying the vehicle. I was mistaken when I first looked at it.... it does NOT have 70,000 miles on it IT HAS 170,000 on it. It was in a wreck and damaged the hood, driver side fender and nose. Additionally, the metal around the headlight seems bent, but I don't think there is any frame damage. Additionally, the "shocks","supports", or whatever you want to call them for the rear trunk hatch do not support themselves.

If I buy it, I can get it for around $300.

It is a V6 3800 with a K&N intake already installed and dual exhaust (I don't know anything about the exhaust though, other than it has dual tips).

I know of another camaro in this area with a blown engine that has a perfect body, so I could get all of the body parts (and then some) for about $350..... so $300 for this camaro with some body damage and $350 for another with engine trouble..... total cost: $650+Paint work (The body damage camaro is silver, the engine blown one is green).

I currently have a green camaro that was converted to silver (poorly) and have been on the lookout for an actual silver camaro. This car's engine is a little bigger than mine (mines a 3.4 this is a 3800) and if I am not mistaken can't a 3800 be turbocharged/supercharged. If so, about how much would that cost me?

Any thoughts guys?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:18 PM

You can supercharge a 3.4 or a 3.8 (there is a thread about this right below this one) but the question is whether or not it is cost effective. When you can get an LT1 from intake to oil pan with a wiring harness for $1500 the answer becomes pretty clear that it is not.

That is beside the fact that with 170k miles the motor in that car will probably not last long anyway, even without a supercharger. Now if you just wanted to do it and didn't care about performance or longevity then I would say go ahead.

Just my $.02
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by pgraves
I'm debating buying the vehicle. I was mistaken when I first looked at it.... it does NOT have 70,000 miles on it IT HAS 170,000 on it. It was in a wreck and damaged the hood, driver side fender and nose. Additionally, the metal around the headlight seems bent, but I don't think there is any frame damage. Additionally, the "shocks","supports", or whatever you want to call them for the rear trunk hatch do not support themselves.

If I buy it, I can get it for around $300.

It is a V6 3800 with a K&N intake already installed and dual exhaust (I don't know anything about the exhaust though, other than it has dual tips).

I know of another camaro in this area with a blown engine that has a perfect body, so I could get all of the body parts (and then some) for about $350..... so $300 for this camaro with some body damage and $350 for another with engine trouble..... total cost: $650+Paint work (The body damage camaro is silver, the engine blown one is green).

I currently have a green camaro that was converted to silver (poorly) and have been on the lookout for an actual silver camaro. This car's engine is a little bigger than mine (mines a 3.4 this is a 3800) and if I am not mistaken can't a 3800 be turbocharged/supercharged. If so, about how much would that cost me?

Any thoughts guys?
The advice already given is solid... but to answer your specific question, yes it can easily be either supercharged or turbocharged. In fact i have a custom complete turbo kit for sale for a 3.8 I'm looking for $2k for it.