V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

V6 or V8 For First F-Bod

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 12:52 AM

i think its more fun to drive a straight drive but if u want an auto no problem. i just like selecting my own shift times. easier to deal with mechanically too. go with what you're comfortable with, but i would say to at least try a straight drive. You are getting a performance car after all...
Old 06-15-2003, 01:54 AM

I am def not against manuals, they are extremely fun. I just dont get how they are more "dangerous"? All this talk about an 8-cylinder being a death trap
Old 06-15-2003, 07:55 PM

im looking forward to dropping a richmond 6 speed into my 350. Thats where its at
Old 06-15-2003, 11:06 PM

I'm not saying that a stickshift is a deathtrap. And I never said that i'd be using it for racing. There's more to owning a Camaro than just racing it. This car would be my daily driver, something kick *** to cruise in, and on occasion a ricers worst nightmare. I'm looking at Driveability, Insurance, and overall running costs. On a Z28 they're higher duh lol. I'm 17 do I need really high insurance premiums? No I don't, do I also need cops just watching me b/c i'm a kid in a Z28. Once again I say no guys i'd love to have a Z but right now without an automatic i'm not ready for one.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:16 PM

you make some great points about insurance, but let me tell you the cops arnt going to distinguish between the Z and a v6, all they are going to see is a kid in a flashy sports car and you are most prob going to get harrased. well thats my experience w/ the cops anyways just be aware
Old 06-15-2003, 11:55 PM

just to let you know with a v6 youre definitely not going to be a ricers worst nightmare. Maybe if its bone stock out of the factory but thats not much of a ricer to be beating.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:28 AM

with a few good mods you won't have to worry about ricers tho. And don't fret over using a manual tranny-- they're not hard to learn, and even more fun to drive! Whether its a v6 or v8. Besides, let your first car be a small project, something to get used to and break yourself in in, and then go all out when you have the money to spend cause ur outta school and have more time and access to a shop to get the work done in. right now, save your money in insurance so you can have a nice car later i say.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:47 AM

Don't worry about getting an auto or a manual. After you learn how to drive the stick (I am asuming you don't know how, sorry if I am wrong) It is no more distracting. Also, the manual Camaros came standard w/ Positive traction Differential (V-6 too, I think). If you drive through wet weather alot, you will want the posi. My A4 v6 was awful in the rain (no differential) , but my Z28 is a lot better, even with the extra power. I even made it through a snow and ice storm earlier this winter (uphills most of the way). Have fun.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:02 PM

Your right I don't know how to drive stick lol. Didn't wanna say that and look like a wuss but oh well. Wether I get an 8 or a 6 it will be a Camaro. And thats enough for me but for insurance reasons i'll more than likely get a 6. I'll let you guys know what happens and thanks for all the good advice and rantings lol. You've all been a big help in me picking my first F-Bod.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:19 PM

Nothing to be ashamed of there. Want to know the best way how to learn to drive a stick? Spend 18K on a car you don't know how to drive. Thats what I did, and I picked it up real fast! Either way, you are gonna love your new car.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:06 PM

only v6ds to vcome with limited slip are Y87s, there are Y87 v6s with manuals buit not tht many.

manual is not that much worse if you know how to drive jsut in the rain, if you let the clutch out too fast or if your foot jsut slips off the pedal, the "jerk" of power to the wheels is usually enough to break them loose, basically if you are taking a turn fast and pop the clutch a little too fast car goes roundy round, I did it a few times when I was new to stick in my current car when it was my dads, and yep that was back before it has limtedslip. With limited slip i think its harder to lose the tail on a turn but you still can but I feel its more controlable into a slide and to recover then on an open diffy.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:06 PM

only v6ds to vcome with limited slip are Y87s, there are Y87 v6s with manuals buit not tht many.
Ah I stand corrected. If thats the case, and you are dead set on a V-6, than don't worry about the tranny. My V-6 A4 was plenty of fun (I just got rid of it last year, I have been wanting a V-8 for a long time). Later.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:09 PM

You will get cop attention regardless trust me...most cops cant tell the differnce...i have been followed for miles and miles by cops...just dont be dumb.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:14 PM

You will get cop attention regardless trust me...most cops cant tell the differnce...i have been followed for miles and miles by cops...just dont be dumb.
Yup, I second that one. But my V-6 (Med. Quasar Blue) got noticed a lot more than either my SS or Z28 (both black). Cops seem to ignore me these days ...
Old 06-18-2003, 12:25 AM

I got my Z/28 2 weeks after turning 17. I pay for it myself (only $5000) and just finished payments. I pay 1/2 the insurence (parents pick up the rest) and buy my parts with my own money. My Z has only broken a few tranny mounts (too much torque i guess ) and needed the cat changed. Go for the Z/28 if you can afford it, you won't reget it. Just DON'T be stupid the Z/28 does need a mature driver to handle the power, take it easy the firsst few weeks and get to know the car.

Quick Reply: V6 or V8 For First F-Bod