V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

V6 or V8 For First F-Bod

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:13 AM

V6 or V8 For First F-Bod

Well guys i'm asking an age old question. I'm 17 I want a Camaro but I don't know wether to go with just looks with the V6 or Looks and Power with the V8. I'm taking into consideration fuel economy, insurance, and overall running costs. Do I trust myself with a V8 well i'm not to sure yet. I know I can handle a V6 though. I just want ur guys opinion do u think the V6 is enough power for me or do u think I can go up to a V8 holla back boys.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:37 AM

If you get a v6 get a 3.8L M5
Old 06-10-2003, 12:59 AM

Honestly, i would say the 6 cyl, just cause of age. But i would let the insurance quote be the final factor. Sometimes you can see a difference of over 100 bucks per month, depending on your company. As far as the fuel economy, the LS1, Not sure if you trying to get 93-97 LT1, or a 98+ LS1, gets mileage better than the 6 in a lot of cases.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:38 AM

Personally if I were you I woudl get a nice 3rd gen 2.8L, or even a 305, then start saving for a ls1 or lt1.

Your first car is gonna take a beating, and anyways a 3rd gen is very similar in the driving styles to get you used to a 4th gen.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:31 AM

I'm also 17 and just got my first car a few months ago after driving my parents '94 Lincoln Continental around for almost a year while looking.. I wanted a Z28 from the start but my parents wouldn't let me get it because they said it had too much power.. I don't really agree to this day, but I've been very happy with my V6... Every now and then I'll see a Z28 on the roads and druel a little, but when considering insurance costs and such, the V6 has its pluses... My parents pay insurance while I pay for repairs and a lot of the initial cost of the car, but I know that depending on who your provider is you can get some good deals.. We have State Farm and they listed the Camaro as my Dad's and the cheapest car as mine.. We didn't even TRY to do this ourselves, they told us they would... I would've thought that was insurance fraud lol..

Anyway, if you can handle the insurance costs and lesser gas mileage, I would go with the Z28 because it's a much more powerful car.. If not, you can always get the V6 and with a few modifications get it almost as fast as a Z28.. It all depends on what you think you can handle.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:46 AM

If it isn't anymore expensive on insurance go V8. Chances are it will be and for safety reasons go for the 3.8. A V8 is a torquey beast and unless you're used to dealing w/ torque you can end up in a ditch very easily. If you go w/ anything besides the 3.8 m5 you might as well look into a Grand Prix, Grand Am, or Monkey Carlo. They'll run w/the f-body 6 cyl power trains, probably be cheaper on insurance, do better in the snow, and can also be modded to be faster. My wife's 01 GAGT runs 15.83 stock. I've out ran non 3.8L 6 cyl F-bodies. 3800 FWD cars are heavier and run about the same to a little quicker compared to the 3400. I'm not trying to talk smack about the 6 cyl F-bodies, but if you go 6 cyl you might as well go with the largest displacement. W/ a 3800 M5 you'd still be able to give a 4.6L Stang a good run if not beat it.

I'd stay away from both the 305 and the 2.8L. Ya, you can mod on them, but why? They'll still be slower than the 3800.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:53 AM

Yeah I know about the V8's torque my friend wrecked his 94Z two days after he bought it. He lost control of the car when it peeled out on him suddenly. But if I had an automatic would the torque problem be as bad. To my knowlege that would make the beast a little more tame.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:09 PM

Ya, it would help some if left stock. Put in a converter and some steeper gears and it'll be like a manual. Not having a limited slip differential helps more because you won't get the rear end kicking out, but that isn't very performance oriented.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:54 PM

True but i'd rather have the automatic for the driveability. Of course i'm leaning toward a V6 for my first Camaro to me it would be saner and alot cheaper overall. I can make a V6 quick and not put to much money in it. I will be happy if I can get 235hp out of it that's as much as my dad's 4.7L V8 Dakota punches out. And if I can get it up to 240hp i'll just be estatic lol. Keep hitting me up with ur opinions suggestions or w/e.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Greed4Speed

I'd stay away from both the 305 and the 2.8L. Ya, you can mod on them, but why? They'll still be slower than the 3800.
I still say get these... they may not be the car to mod and make fast but they do a great job of "training" you on how ot drive a lt1 since the setup is nearly identical with the drivetrain jsut a little less power, and most peoeplc can flat out buy these cars, then save some mroe for a lt1 in maybe 6 months or so.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 PM

No matter what you get....if at all possible pay for your car yourself.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:27 PM

what are you guys talking about telling him to get a "training" v6 , if you can afford the v8 go for it , jesus dont be a baby and get training wheels if your afraid , just dont drive like a schmuck and you will be alright
Old 06-10-2003, 07:07 PM

Remember, the 3.8 has 160-175 RWhp, stock. I'd go with the LT1 if you can afford it, just take it easy for awhile and don't try to show off. Go slow in the rain, My blazer has a 350 and shift kit and it hates the rain , but the LT1 with different tires and no shift kit should be easier to drive.

SOmeone correct me if I'm wrong, but even after a catback and intake you'll still be under 200 RWhp. The 3.8 isn't a bad engine, very reliable, usually a mid 15 to low 16 second car depending on gears, weather, driver, mod, etc-It's not a bad car for a 17 year old at all, plus you can always save up in the future for the V8. The LT1 is faster (of course ) and sounds better, but won't get as good gas mileage.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:20 PM

I got upset today... My dad told me we needed to get a treat on the way home from Dinner today. So, I said, "Formula Firebird" (joking) and he said "You wanted a Camaro, you could of got a Formula. Why didn't you look at Formulas instead?"

I said, "Insurance." He's like "It couldn't be as bad as a TA, you coulda afforded it"

I said, "It's almost exactly the same car as a TA" (I'm talking about early 4th Gen Forumlas)
and so on... looks like I could of aforded a V-8 for my 1st car after all...
Old 06-10-2003, 11:12 PM

what are you guys talking about telling him to get a "training" v6 , if you can afford the v8 go for it , jesus dont be a baby and get training wheels if your afraid , just dont drive like a schmuck and you will be alright
Tell that to the insurance companies when they charge more to cover a teenage male. Why else would rates change when you turn 25? Because they are more of a liability, and a V8 increases the liability. Personally, I wouldn't buy or let my kid buy a newer car. I'd rather get them something they had to work on. That way they learn about cars and develop a greater apreciation for them.

I can make a V6 quick and not put to much money in it. I will be happy if I can get 235hp out of it that's as much as my dad's 4.7L V8 Dakota punches out.
You won't have to make that much more power to out run his Dakota in a 3800. The Dakotas run low 15's stock, a 3800 (f-body or not) should be able to do that or better pretty easily w/ a few mods.

Quick Reply: V6 or V8 For First F-Bod