V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

V6 or V8 For First F-Bod

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 11:29 PM

Get a 6 cylinder first, you'll live longer

Although some are mature enough for a Z28.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:57 PM

It comes down to maturity. I don't know you so its hard to say. I would get a V6 first like I did and then wait to get a V8. Good thing I did, or I might not be here.

Last edited by 99blackSS; 06-11-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:07 AM

Well for my age i'm mature but I still **** up while i'm driving. The Torque of the LS1 on a stick shift intimidates me b/c of what happened to my friend. Now on an auto I wouldn't worry about it as much. But in terms of overall affordability hey the V6 isn't a bad car. How many other kids can say I own a Camaro at my age. I should just be happy I have one. And with the money i'd be saving from the insurance. I could use it to mod the car it may not outrun a Z28 or a T/A or some other sports cars out there but it will definately spank the ricers. As much as i'd like to own a Z right now i'm gonna face facts and go for the camaro I can afford. IMO i'm making a rational and informed decision. If u guys have anymore advice comments w/e post them. Thanks
Old 06-11-2003, 12:28 AM

Here's all you need to know.

GAS MILEAGE

The key point here is that the V8 cars use PREMIUM grade gas and the V6 cars use REGULAR grade gas. The V6 will be about equal on the highway but give better mileage in the city.

INSURANCE

You'll need to call on this one. The V6 car should offer you some pretty significant savings if you get on anything above decent coverage. Be sure to get quotes for every single year of both cars in your price range, newer cars maybe be cheaper. Last time I called it was like 00,96,99,97,98 cheapest to more expensive (basicly all mixed up)...I was like

SAFTEY

If you are 17 trust me you will be tempted to use the power if you have it. Nobody buys these cars to drive like a grandma plain and simple. The F-body cars in general are setup more netural than most Mustangs from the factory. You can get yourself into some big trouble even in the V6 version. The V6 car will allow you to learn how to drive RWD w/ a much greater margin for error though.

SPEED

V6 vs V8 =no contest here. There are plenty of FWD cars that will be faster and safer than a V6 F-body, but they won't prepare you for anything high powered and RWD.

I don't know about the V8 3rd Gen idea, they have more torque (350) and have a stiffer suspension making them oversteer quicker at it's limits than 4th gens in general. The stock level springs on a 3rd gen are about the level of SS/1LE 4th gen stuff. They are a better handling car stock, and better handling means more skill to drive in RWD cars. Even a 305 3rd gen will need equal driving skill as a Z28 LT1 car. At least the 305 won't be worth as much if you wreck it.

The 3.8 is your best chance at finding a car in good condition cheaply IMO. This is important unless you can easily get your car fixed being so young.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by 99blackSS
It comes down to maturity. I don't know you so its hard to say. I would get a V6 first like I did and then wait to get a V8. Good thing I did, or I might not be here.
very much agreed, my v6, first 2.8L and now my 3.4L have really daved mu life

I would have killedmyslef more then once over in a v8 by knwo.

I know it sounds bad and all younger guys think they are invincable, but the lack of powerhelpmed me many itmes.

I cna think of a good 10-20 times I am lucky o be here even though I had a v6 that I did not kill myself.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:12 AM

Well,

I started w/ a '97 3.8L V6, it was a great car and way cheaper on the insurance. Plus most of the guys here are right when they say it makes a good training car for RWD power. Some of the crap I did in the V6 would have killed me in a V8 when I was younger. Because of my experiance i'm a lot more careful with the V8.

Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:38 AM

When I went from my '94 V6 to my Z...

1)Gas mileage - Got around 20 mpg in mostly city driving in the V6. Now I get around 17 mpg in the V8. And the 8 takes Premium.

2)Insurance - Mine went up about 30 bucks a month. No biggie. (I'm 21)

3)Reliability - My V6 NEVER broke down. I drove it for 42k and did nothing but routine maintenance. I've had the Z for only 2 months and have had to replace the optispark, waterpump, coil, plugs, wires, battery.

Is the V6 cheaper, more practical, more reliable? YES.

Do I regret stepping up to the Z? HELL NO!

I still had the V6 up until about a week ago. Whenever I drove that, in comparison to the Z, it felt like a total POS. The suspension is soft, no posi, no power whatsoever.

My advice: Get a Z if you can swing it. If not, get a 5-speed 3.8 with the Y87 package.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by 94LT1Maro
How many other kids can say I own a Camaro at my age.
ME!!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:29 AM

Looks like u guys have helped me make my decision thanks for all of the advice. I'm gonna start looking for the car now i'd like to get a 98 Camaro. But we'll see what happens once again thanks alot and uh this post is pretty much done.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:48 PM

i got my v6 camaro when i was 16 and just got my licence. it was a 98 auto. I wanted a v8 but my parents would not let me. Now i am 18 and just bought a 2002 ss six speed. The ls1 is a VERY well built engine and it rivals the 3.8 in reliability. It also gets around the same gas milage as my v6 since it was an auto. My insurance went up $50 a month. Also i have pretty good size payments even with my trade in and down payment. The car was $26k with 10k miles on it. I got the 100k warrenty with a 0 deductabe for and extra 1500. IT is 10 times better than my v6 in every way. Also i did not like having an auto.
My advise to you is to get an ls1 if you can afford it(only if you have a strong enough will to stay out of the gas.) If you think you are to imature or too unexperianced then get the v6, although i guarantee you will kick youself later for doing it. hope this helps
Old 06-11-2003, 04:57 PM

I bought my car myself last year (@16) and I've almost killed myself twice when driving in the rain. First time I gave it too much gas making a left turn at an intersection and I spun the car around and hit the curb. Had to spend $1600 in repairs just too weeks after I got it. RWD is TOTALLY different than FWD, believe me. Second time was my fault. I went around a 45MPH right curve @ 65 when it was wet and below freezing and nightime; I fishtailed back and forth 5 times but I managed to keep it on the two-lane highway I was on. Scary too because there was a car coming. I really thought my car was going to be totalled then. Anyway, if you know how RWD works and you don't drive too fast the V8 is fine. I have the V6 and believe me, it just like driving any other car. I've never driven a 8, but if you can get, GET IT! I'll sell you mine and I'll take the Z if you don't want it.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by BadLiLBowtie
I got upset today... My dad told me we needed to get a treat on the way home from Dinner today. So, I said, "Formula Firebird" (joking) and he said "You wanted a Camaro, you could of got a Formula. Why didn't you look at Formulas instead?"

I said, "Insurance." He's like "It couldn't be as bad as a TA, you coulda afforded it"

I said, "It's almost exactly the same car as a TA" (I'm talking about early 4th Gen Forumlas)
and so on... looks like I could of aforded a V-8 for my 1st car after all...

Same here... :blah:
Old 06-11-2003, 11:41 PM

get the 8, dont be an idiot and youl be fine
Old 06-12-2003, 02:09 PM

I still say get a 3rd gen, it will be fun, but cheap. Then when you want an lt1 you will not be in debt, and can get it.

I can vouch that jsut about every kid in there first car does something stupid. Even myself I never really got serious damage to my first cars but I got REEEEEAAAL lucky.

I saw buy a 3rd gen drive it for a year or 2 then sell it and get a v8.

If you buy a 98+ v6 you are looking at $8k, then you are making payments, in a year you will want a v8, and probably have the skills to get one safely, but you will still owe like $7k on your car be stuck in a car loan and get screwed when you trade it in.

If it matters to you 80% of the population could care less what car you drive. Chick won't like oyu any better. Just do not try ot sound like a hardass and enjoy your car.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:00 PM

If I was to buy a 3rd Gen Camaro......which I havent ruled out. It would have to be an 88 - 92 Z28 Convertable. Those were and still are sexy cars. If I can find one i'll definitely get one. Now your probably wondering why i'd get a 3rd Gen L98 instead of a 4th Gen LS1 or LT1. Well the L98 V8's don't have as much power or torque. They're still fast and they still kick *** but it wouldn't be as risky in my opinion as an LS1. My uncle had an IROC-Z and I still wish he didn't sell it. I love 3rd generation Camaros as much as I love the 4th Gens. But i'll let you guys know what I end up doing. Your right about the debt part Mustangeater. That was something I didn't really think about. Oh well thanks again.

Quick Reply: V6 or V8 For First F-Bod