V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

V6 or V8 For First F-Bod

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 05:24 PM

Well i started out with a 95 3.4, it was great...i loved it...and it was very reliable.

Now i have a 94 Z since some A$$hole hit me. I LOVE the power. Its addicting. But it rides rough some times...and in the rain its a total bitch. Also, now i have to pick up on the maintanence that the other owner didnt do. I love this car...even though i felt more safe in my last car for some reason...since i ended up in the hospital and six months later still need surgery on my rotator cuff and cant play any football no more i drive with alot less *****.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:22 PM

Talking go 96-97 v6

I totally reccomend a 96-97 3.8 v6. Less insurance, they can be bought realatively cheap, and I know someone who has a NICE 97 for sale that already has some mods and was just repainted. A v6 will keep your costs down a lot, and will also be a lot of fun! It's certainly no less fun than a v8.

Why not the 3.4 v6? you can't do as much and they're not as powerful. If you want to know more about the 97 v6 camaro that's for sell, lemme know (post reply or email willum03@charter.net)
Old 06-12-2003, 08:13 PM

I would be intrested in the Car I need to know Mileage and Price as well as the list of mods. Thanks
Old 06-12-2003, 10:39 PM

my v6 is for sale, its in great shape w/ a warrenty
Its kinda of a long shot considering your in kansass, and theres probably lots of v6 fbods where you are, but if your interested heres some info

98 v6 Navy blue met. camaro
42k autoleatherT-tops
2 years left on extended warrenty or 100k
motor is stock, never been modded
ill tell you more about if your interested shoot me an e mail
joed4640@aol.com
Old 06-13-2003, 10:29 AM

Good luck buying a new F-Body! My first Camaro was a 1996 V-6, and if I would have started out with a V-8 I have been dead when I was 16. The V-6 is a good intro into the Camaro. The handling characteristics are similar, and you will get educated real fast on driving a RWD car. However, The V-8s are a lot more fun (sorry guys) to drive. Most of my experience is with LS-1s, but the LT-1 kicks butt too. However, I did have some bad experiences with my V-6:

1) I had an automatic transmission that was rebuilt almost every year I owned it (1997-2002). Luckily I bought it new, and the Warranty covered it. My gf has a 98 5sp manual, and no problems, so stick with the manual

2) Overheating: at 60,000 miles my cooling system went south and the motor started to over heat, eventhough I had fresh Dex-cool put in at 50K miles. No matter how many times I had the car serviced, this was never fixed

3) Oil leak: around 50K, the V-6 started losing a quart a week, again, no one could find the source of the trouble.

4) Engine Ping: at 40K, I had to start filling the car with Premium b/c the car would ping with anything less than 92-93 octane.

Anyway, I hope my experience was the exception rather than the rule. My 2001 Z28 has had no problems so far, and I love my V-8! Good luck car hunting.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:48 AM

I'm guessing the person before you extremely abused that car. I would say that it is definitely the exception. My v6 (well, its a 3.4 too) has about 184,000 miles on it, and I am just now replacing the clutch (only a $150 job). I've had the car for over 2 and a half years, and the only other thing I've done is kept it oiled and babied just like every1 else.

I did have to replace the fuel pump, although it wasn't mandatory. just regular maintanence. And the tires are probably gonna need to be replaced soon. But you would never believe how close my car is to 200,000 miles when you get behind it and drive. The car was stock when I got it and obviously treated right.

I would say that most all GM cars today, v6 or v8, are going to last as long just as long as you take care of the car like you should. you'll have no problems
Old 06-13-2003, 11:12 AM

Actually, I was the original owner of my V-6 . I am not gonna lie and say I drove her like a granny, but that car saw 0 track time. I never put any mods on her either, I was saving up for a V-8. Just the occasional stop light grand prix. Judging by the posts on this board, I think I just got a lemmon. Oh yeah, when I switched to the 1998 SS, my insurance jumped $300 every 6 mos, and another $200 every 6 mo on top of that. That included clean driving record, honor student discount, etc. At least I turn 25 in two years...
Old 06-13-2003, 01:02 PM

I'm only 19, I'm pretty happy with my 96 v6. 200 hp is good enough for me.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:57 PM

I didn't read the other posts, but if you can afford it, get the V8.

If you do get a V6, however, get the 3.8. For the love of God, do not get a 3.4!

I was 17 when I got my car. I am 19 now. Its a good daily driver...but is has more "bark" than it does "bite". I want some bite, so I can eat up the competition, instead of playing catch up With the look of my Firebird, it screams "I am fast!", but under the hood....
Old 06-13-2003, 11:28 PM

^ ^ ^ ^
l l l l

What he said, if you can swing it get a v8, but the down side is you will have to be a man and keep your foot off of it , as tempting as it is. If not the v6 are still a lot of fun, but for sure get the 3.8 m5.

have fun and good luck.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:40 PM

Well im 16 and just bought my first car. its a 1990 5.7 v8 and i wouldnt trade it in for the world. The thing is slightly modded (3.73 gears, shift kit, headers thats the major stuff) and im expecting it to run high 13's low 14's when i get around to taking it to the track. This car is so much fun id definitly reccomend getting a 350 if you can afford the insurance. For the price of headers and an exhaust you can easily get your car into the 13's. Now as to wether you kill your self or not its quite simple. Dont over drive your car. Yeah my car scares me a lil every now and then but i know when im getting close to my limits and thats when i shut it down. If you can do that great but i cant remember the last time i went through a day where i didnt see someone who drives harder then they can handle. So it all depends on what you think you can handle i just couldnt see a v6 being all that much fun. my maro still makes my knees weak every time i hear the engine rumble
Old 06-13-2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by doug791
Well im 16 and just bought my first car. its a 1990 5.7 v8 and i wouldnt trade it in for the world. The thing is slightly modded (3.73 gears, shift kit, headers thats the major stuff) and im expecting it to run high 13's low 14's when i get around to taking it to the track. This car is so much fun id definitly reccomend getting a 350 if you can afford the insurance. For the price of headers and an exhaust you can easily get your car into the 13's. Now as to wether you kill your self or not its quite simple. Dont over drive your car. Yeah my car scares me a lil every now and then but i know when im getting close to my limits and thats when i shut it down. If you can do that great but i cant remember the last time i went through a day where i didnt see someone who drives harder then they can handle. So it all depends on what you think you can handle i just couldnt see a v6 being all that much fun. my maro still makes my knees weak every time i hear the engine rumble
I'm 17 and feel the same way. My car is actually in the shop getting the S-Trim put on . Some people may say you are too young..etc...yada yada it's BS. It's all about your attitude and your COMMON SENCE. There are retarded 40 year olds that just don't know when to stop who are more reckless then 16-18 year olds. Granted not as many, but they are out there. I would be lying if I said I don't hammer into it. But I also am honest when I say I'm very careful where I do it, and never push over my limits when driving. You know yourself better than anyone. If you are responsible enough not to use all the 350 power all the time, then go for the v8. The v6 will get old pretty fast in my opinion. But do what you know you can handle. Not sure what else I could tell ya, but if ya had any questions or wanted my opinion or anything about the situation don't hesitate to PM or email me. Later man,
Stephen
Old 06-14-2003, 05:17 PM

As much as i'd love an 8 and I think I could handle it with an automatic. The insurance on one is what kinda drives me away that and my friend wrecked his 94 Z28 two days after buying it. I don't think he realized the power he had under the hood. 275hp is alot any more and well now his Z sits and I feel for the car. IF I CAN find a 94 Z28 I will get one no doubt about it. But there is no way in hell I will own any Z28 6 speed b/c I will get killed in it. That is the cold hard truth. Ok hit me up with somemore posts advice and questions. Peace
Old 06-14-2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by 94LT1Maro
As much as i'd love an 8 and I think I could handle it with an automatic. The insurance on one is what kinda drives me away that and my friend wrecked his 94 Z28 two days after buying it. I don't think he realized the power he had under the hood. 275hp is alot any more and well now his Z sits and I feel for the car. IF I CAN find a 94 Z28 I will get one no doubt about it. But there is no way in hell I will own any Z28 6 speed b/c I will get killed in it. That is the cold hard truth. Ok hit me up with somemore posts advice and questions. Peace
MHO, from what you have said. Just go with the 6. If you get used to the power and realize you want something more. You can sell her and get something else. Just my .02. The auto can get away just as quick. Maybe a LITTLE less likely, but the power is still there. I really respect the fact you admit that there's a good chance you would lose it in the v8 . Good luck with what ya get man. I wish ya the best.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:28 PM

Whats all this talk about how a auto is so much safer...i dont understand? Auto vs Stick is hardly any difference in speed wise that is for sure...i love racing sticks because i have a much greater chance for winning because people always mess up.

Quick Reply: V6 or V8 For First F-Bod