V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

sputtering and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:55 AM

the dealship acutally just finished doing it for me... come to find out i didnt need that fuel injection cleaning and all that stuff... i need a new coil and new module. after is said and done almost $500.00. the module was like $300 they told me...
the coil was like 40 or something....

does each cylinder have a coil? if so is there a module for each coil?

i hope not...
Old 04-10-2004, 06:22 PM

Re: sputtering and loss of power

Originally posted by shadyyapper
my 98 V6 camaro, started acting very strange. when i get up to about 30 mph, and i give it gas, the car starts to sputter and has no power, and starts bucking... what are your thoughts on what this might be... the check engine light has also come on... i brought it to a dealer today to get fixed, im just curious of what everyone thinks it might be... any thoughts???

i will tell you the verdict later....

DEJA-VU!!!! I know exactly what your talking about. Mine was doing the same thing and you better fix it very soon. Your O2 sensors are probably bad, which in turn is messing up everything else. Here's the Domino effect in short:

1) O2's go out ( pcm reads wrong and sends too much gas to your plugs)
2) Ignition coils go out (thats where your rough idling is coming from)
3) Plugs foul out ( your gas is burning rich, thats why it hesitates when you "get in the gas") I aslo bet it straightens out when you let off just a lil bit huh?
4) plug wires will burn out (because your coils are not right)
5) Strong odor coming from exhaust (gas too rich)
6) this is the most important (i let mine go for too long with the O2's out so it started dumping raw fuel into my exhaust, causing my Cat to overheat and seem like it's clogged but it was'nt. this is very dangerous!!!!!! raw fuel spilling on hot metal and fumes= boom!!!!

Just get a full tune-up and you'll be fine. To staighten it out quickly (just for now), replace the bad coils, O2's, and wires and it should run like normal.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by shadyyapper
the dealship acutally just finished doing it for me... come to find out i didnt need that fuel injection cleaning and all that stuff... i need a new coil and new module. after is said and done almost $500.00. the module was like $300 they told me...
the coil was like 40 or something....

does each cylinder have a coil? if so is there a module for each coil?

i hope not...

I think there might be a module for each coil (makes sense), $300 for a new module? dang thats high. I hope i dont need one, thast justy crazy to spend $900 for three modules lol. I can buy a new 3800 II for that much, or be half way to an LS1 swap.