V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Heat issues messing with my computer

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Heat issues messing with my computer

I posted this in here, hoping for some help... figuring that although you are v6 guys due to our similar years.. mine being a 94 that you could help.

Here it goes....

Anyone have experience protecting wires from heat? I think that the wiring harness that goes from the passengerside ecu along the back of the motor in the tunner over to the driverside is getting too hot.

I am looking for products to help me cover wires and hopefully kill this heat. Got any suggestions?

After adding a vortech blower and 3200 stall with headers I think that my underhood temps are getting too hot and my stock ECU is losing the transmission signal to send to my auto transmission. Therefore, when my car has been running for 20-30 mins I begin losing ignition signal (what the cel says) to the ECM which causes my transmission to slip.

I have a brand new tranny and converter. This problem happened before and after.

I am 99% sure this is heat related. I have everything wired fine, new grounds, no wires that show signs of shorting or exposed because they are too close to heat sources. I have gone through the engine for 2 years now checking and rechecking possible causes.

I also think its heat because when I ride in the country I don't have problems, probably due to more air and faster speeds keep the temps cooler. When I get back into the city and more stop and go it happens. I have to shut the car off and wait for it to cool . Once its cool I don't have any problems again until that 20-30 minute mark.

To futher complicate things I have megasquirt hooked up controlling ignition and fuel. All of this wiring is safe. During these "spells" the motor runs fine, that never changes.

My dash tach works fine and so does megasquirt. Both never lose ignition signal. One thing that does happen is my speedo will go haywire. Bounce up and down during the spells.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Re: Heat issues messing with my computer

Heat isn't going to affect current and voltage in the wires, unless it's melting the insulation. Some electronic component in your system is probably heat soaking.

What is the code that is turning on the SES light?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Interesting. The two codes are:

36- 24x signal circuit error

82- Ignition Control 3x signal circuit error

Replaced the 3x and 24x even after testing becuase I was worried about them being faulty.

What do you think is getting heat soak? I can send you a pic of my engine bay.

Just a thought- I do have a basic lighting relay 30,85,86,87 style on the passenger side wheel well. That is ginition related. Basically the car starts using factory timing, then after the engine fires the relay switches it to megasquirt control. I'm open to other suggestions? What else could it be?

If it matters, my ignition coil pack (firing cylinders 2 + 5) have bruned up once on me. First time I had a msd dis 4, heard a loud pop and the car went dead. The msd coil and setup was gone. After that I put just the 3 coils on, no msd box and then the following year the same coil burned up! Grounds look good... what else?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 PM

that relay has the ignition control bypass, a wire to megasquirt, a switched 12 v- hot in run, and ground wire if that helps. it was a basic relay like $8 from autozone