LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Aftermarket tuning computers EZ EFI style

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Aftermarket tuning computers EZ EFI style

Hey guys,

I used EZ EFI a couple of years ago in my 85 vette and the product is the best thing I ever bought.
I went from trying to make the 85 computer and MAF work, dealing with unreliable tuners (that could tune the 85 chip), issues, etc, etc to a 10 second c4 for 850 dollars (ECU and harness for EZ EFI). Needless to say I can't say enough good things about it.

My 95 lt1 trans am has a lot of engine and chassis mods. The car runs good warm, little surgy cold (big cam, can't figure out how to get the tune down).
I would like to spray this car and make some changes and in the future run a sbc setup in there and would like to look at getting something like EZ EFI to work with this car now.

Several questions:
-Can EZ EFI work with opti currently? If not is there anything else similar to EZ EFI that does? My opti works fine and I am not looking at getting rid of it as long as I have the LT block.

-What about dash functions and other functions in the car? Can they be kept with deleting the LT1 computer?

I am sure someone has changed up the lt1 computer for something aftermarket so please let me know what you suggest.

I searched around and lots of opinions on there and stuff, just wondering if someone actually did it and had good results.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Re: Aftermarket tuning computers EZ EFI style

The FAST page for the EZ EFI setup indicates it "works w/ original, carb-type distributor." Doesn't mention the Opti inputs. Did you ask FAST? I interface the Opti to a MoTeC M48Pro, but that has a specific application for the Opti high and low res inputs.

The dash gauges - fuel level, oil pressure, coolant temp and battery voltage are not driven off the stock PCM. The speedometer is driven off the PCM, and I retained the stock PCM for that purpose. I suspect you could interface something like the Dakota Digital speedo calibration box to allow the stock VSS to feed the speedometer directly.... just a guess.

Since I feed the Opti signals to both the stock PCM and the MoTeC, I get the dash tach to indicate RPM. My Autometer 5" tach is driven off the MoTeC, and I would think at a minimum the EZ EFI would provide an output for the typical ignition fed tach. 93 F-Body tach was driven of the coil, so that would be another option.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Not exactly an aftermarket computer but I did the 24x swap in my blown LT1 car when it still had an LT1 in it. With a 234/250 114LSA cam the car idles perfect, no surging or other nasty surprises.

No opti.
All dash functions work (though the gas gauge is tricky to get working correctly)
Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Did the fuel gauge becomes a problem with the 24X conversion, because the late LS1's interface the gauge to the PCM?

The FAST unit appears to only control the injectors, not the ignition, hence requiring a conventional distributor. Is this correct?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 AM

The 411 PCM outputs the same PWM signal that the 93-97 gauges can interpret. I won't lie, the fuel gauge was annoying to get right. Took me almost a month and I ran out of gas once (luckily I coasted into a station). I can email you the table & config if you want to post it.