V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:11 AM

engine swap

i have a 96 v6 with to many miles on it. i am planning on doing an engine swap but i dont have a lot of money. i found a cheap v6 out of a 2000 camaro, will it fit? or what are some other good options. thanks for the help
Old 07-24-2003, 10:19 AM

If I were you, I would drive your 96 V6 engine into the ground, then worry about an engine swap only becuase you would be swapping a 3.8L for a 3.8L. You might wanna look into throwing a used v8 in there if you are going to do an engine swap. However, I know with an LT1 the bellhouseing bolts are a little different, I am not sure about an LS1.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by smurfman
If I were you, I would drive your 96 V6 engine into the ground, then worry about an engine swap only becuase you would be swapping a 3.8L for a 3.8L. You might wanna look into throwing a used v8 in there if you are going to do an engine swap. However, I know with an LT1 the bellhouseing bolts are a little different, I am not sure about an LS1.
he said his 96 had way too many miles, therefore i was assuming it was already driven to the ground. then he said cheap. throwing in an LT1 aint cheap even more expensive to throw in an LS1.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:21 AM

like i said...i have no money. i am still in high school so i dont have a bunch of money saved up or anything. i just got an offer for a 3.8 with 24k on it for a couple hundred. my engine is having major problems and i rather just replace it. i am aware that the engine is a little differant, such as the intake, and i wanted to make sure that i t would not be to difficult, or expensive, to swap it. i would absolutly love to swap out for a ls1, but it is just out of the question. if anyoine could let me know that would be great. thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 04:14 PM

when i was going to put in another 3.8 i was quoted $2400
Old 07-25-2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by smurfman
You might wanna look into throwing a used v8 in there if you are going to do an engine swap. However, I know with an LT1 the bellhouseing bolts are a little different, I am not sure about an LS1.
I know that for to put an LS1 into a v6 car, you need a large arrangement of parts, and it gets very expensive very very quickly.

The bellhousing and input shafts on the auto transmission are different, so you need a new one of those. Unless you the new bellhousing and input shafts can be made to fit the one you currently have, which I have no idea about.

You need new motor mounts, tranny mounts, and I believe a Kbar?

New springs, radiator, dashboard, possibly brakes..

Pedals, because the 3800 has an electronic throttle contol like the Corvette, while the F-Body LS1 has an old school mechanical one.

I believe that you also need the rear from a trans am/z28/ss. Not too sure on that one, but I believe so. If anyone knows for sure, lemme know.... The reason I know all this, is that I actually wanted to do this, so I was researching. It would be much cheaper and probably more reliable to just buy a Z or Trans Am.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:55 AM

dave, you are close but still very far off. the swap will only get as expensive as you want it to, but it is safe to say it can be done for under $5000. way less if you do the work yourself. dont even bother tring to keep your tranny from the 6. all places that specialize in engines for swaps include trannys as well. yes the older models have interchangeable bellhousings, but why bother?

"motor mounts,tranny mounts, k bar" what you need is a LS1 k member (engine cradle). that is where your new motor mounts come from. and you can probably pick one up for $100 from someone who has put in an aftermarket one. or you could pay $400 for an aftermarket one yourself.

"New springs, radiator, dashboard, possibly brakes.." i havent changed my springs and i am doing fine so far, but i did pick up some stock ones from a guy who lowered his car for $20. and you will need a LS1 radiator or you will have to modify your V6 radiator, but why bother? dashboard you can leave the same. you might want a LS1 gauge cluster. the V6 one will work but the tach will be off. brakes you can leave alone.

i had to get a gas pedal, but not all 3800 have electronic throttle - my friends 98 doesnt.

if you dont have posi i would definatly recommend it, but you dont need a Z28 rearend.

this might help you some
http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=16&t=001716
Old 07-26-2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by 1fastV6
dave, you are close but still very far off. the swap will only get as expensive as you want it to, but it is safe to say it can be done for under $5000. way less if you do the work yourself. dont even bother tring to keep your tranny from the 6. all places that specialize in engines for swaps include trannys as well. yes the older models have interchangeable bellhousings, but why bother?

"motor mounts,tranny mounts, k bar" what you need is a LS1 k member (engine cradle). that is where your new motor mounts come from. and you can probably pick one up for $100 from someone who has put in an aftermarket one. or you could pay $400 for an aftermarket one yourself.

"New springs, radiator, dashboard, possibly brakes.." i havent changed my springs and i am doing fine so far, but i did pick up some stock ones from a guy who lowered his car for $20. and you will need a LS1 radiator or you will have to modify your V6 radiator, but why bother? dashboard you can leave the same. you might want a LS1 gauge cluster. the V6 one will work but the tach will be off. brakes you can leave alone.

i had to get a gas pedal, but not all 3800 have electronic throttle - my friends 98 doesnt.

if you dont have posi i would definatly recommend it, but you dont need a Z28 rearend.

this might help you some
http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=16&t=001716
OK. that sounds much easier than what Ive been told. lemme know how it comes out..