V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Eek! Fake dual pipe exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 11:32 PM

Lucky for me, I get to live in Ohio, and drive my Camaro in the snow. It's been through one winter already last year. This will be winter #2. - Ryan
Old 12-11-2002, 12:24 AM

Definatly not the stock set up. Looks like a flap to keep water out. Clearly this flap has no purpose being here is not a factory peice. If no exhaust comes out the pipe, then why is there black residue on the inside of the pipe?
Old 12-11-2002, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by 3.8knightrider
Here's the image of the blocked right exhaust pipe I got from the guy who owns the 2002 RS. There is a little crack underneath the panel, but he said it does not move out when the car is started or let out fumes.... his left side lets out exhaust smoke while the right does not.... this isn't a modified camaro either, it's a 2002 RS with Y87... Z28 tips... dunno... I knew I wasn't smoking something...

Tell me what y'all think.
Looks to me like you added an electronic cutout, there is a wire running to that thing stuck in your tailpipe. GM didn't put that there.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Camaro2k2
I'm the owner of the 2002 Camaro RS tailpipe that you see pictured there. That pic is TOTALLY, 100% GM STOCK. I haven't done anything to the engine/exhaust at all. That is welded in there from the GM factory at St. Therese. I'm the one and only owner of the car. I bought it with 0 mi. on it from the dealership back in August of 2001. If you want to see more pics, I would be more than happy to walk out to my car and take them for you. We're talking about this on this message board because it's so unusual. But there are at least 2 verified cases of this on 2002 model Camaro RS's with the dual tailpipe +5hp option. Check back tomorrow, I'll attempt to take the tip off and get some better pics for you all. I'd do it tonight, but it's past midnight, and freaking cold outside. - Ryan
Your 100% Full of it
Old 12-11-2002, 11:27 AM

You (kind gentleman), that wire doesn't run to the exhaust, that's part of the wiring for my neon undercar kit. This isn't some stupid trick (gentlemen). No one has ever touched the exhaust system. We just thought it was wierd that the cars have blocked exhausts. Mine's not the only one, remember?

Last edited by All_InTheRED; 12-11-2002 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:59 PM

You stupid F, that wire doesn't run to the exhaust, that's part of the wiring for my neon undercar kit. This isn't some stupid trick retards. No one has ever touched the exhaust system. We just thought it was wierd that the cars have blocked exhausts. Mine's not the only one, remember?
If no one has touched your exhaust then why do you have Z28 tips?
Kevin
Old 12-11-2002, 01:11 PM

You stupid F, that wire doesn't run to the exhaust, that's part of the wiring for my neon undercar kit. This isn't some stupid trick retards. No one has ever touched the exhaust system. We just thought it was wierd that the cars have blocked exhausts. Mine's not the only one, remember?
Gee, thats so totally obvious based on the camera angle.

How about this, go to your nearest GM dealers parts department and get me a part number for this supposed "blocked exhaust" piece. If it came on your car from the factory, it will be in their computer system. Until then, I'm still calling

Yours isn't the only one huh? I've got a Trans Am which came with the stock (non WS6) dual outlet exhaust system. Its the same system that came on the Z28's just with different tips. My mom has a 99 Z28 Convertible which came with the standard exhaust system. Neither of our cars have your supposed "blocked off exhaust pipe".

I can show you thousands of Z28's with the stock exhaust which don't have your blocked pipe. So did the Ste. Therese plant or SLP decide to make yours special?

Go get a part number, then I'll start believing.

Last edited by 96fbirdA4; 12-11-2002 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by nikkev
If no one has touched your exhaust then why do you have Z28 tips?
Kevin
SLP put a Z28 takeoff muffler on the 2002 RS's and bumped hp to 205.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:45 PM

Your saying your car is 2002????

That thing looks like something of 1902...its all rusty as hell

Thats no factory part!

Did you actually see the new car window sticker on your car??? Cause there is "some ting wong heer"
Old 12-11-2002, 02:13 PM

Something to think about>>

The crossflow muffler design on the 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies do not have one of the pipes blocked.

If you have smoke coming out of only one side at idle after you start it, a probable cause of this is the car is not level side to side (due to the road, etc) and the hot gas tends to go out the side which is higher.

Have someone rev the engine, and you'll see it come out of both sides.

-Dave C. '97 Z28

PS: Also, SLP had nothing to do with the Camaro RS.

Last edited by Dave C. '97 Z28; 12-11-2002 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:24 PM

LMAO!!!!

Stock huh.....yeah and my car is stock also.....LOL

OK guys put down the crack pipe because you have already burn't too many brain cells.

#1 Look at the picture, it has a space below the "plate" which means even if it did come there, which it didn't, that it still flows exhaust through there.

#2 2002 cars don't already have the under coating coming off and the paint showing through do they? Man GM did a crappy job there if they did.

#3 Z-28 tips form a 93-97 Camaro, You didn't do it huh, Got it with Zero miles huh.....LMAO If you didn't do it someone did.

#4 Look inside again see the clamp, see how the plate follows the contour of the clamp..............Shouldn't the clamp go on the outside of the tip to hold it on to the exhaust tube?????
Old 12-11-2002, 02:41 PM

please. um. do the board a favor and act a little more mature. calling people a "stupid F" will only get them angry at you..now.

serious questions:

#1) why is the picture of the exhaust not on YOUR homepage, but on someone elses.

#2) why does your "new" car that you have on your page (in your profile) not show chrome tips (like the one in that pic, which if they are chrome, are obviously aftermarket as GM doesnt make chrome tips, please dont try to call bs on this one - they dont. the Z28 tips have always been and will always be BLACK)

just curious thanks. o yea, if you start calling me names, that will prove that you are bull****ting. cause this is a serious honest respectable set of requests, and i am in no way calling anything on you, nor am i calling you names. just remember that when you reply. try to be civil.

thanks

-R
Old 12-11-2002, 03:02 PM

This is a great thread...I enjoyed my laugh for the day

That sucka came straight from St. Therese, with 0 miles on it!

So if GM did do that...why would they go through all the touble of putting the 2nd exit exhaust pipe there and then just..."Oh why don't we just block that bad boy off! We only wasted money, who cares?!?"

Long live the dual outlet, one functional side exhaust!!!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 03:03 PM

His post has been properly modified to genuinely describe the general membership of this forum.....and what he really meant to say, versus what slipped out of his mouth.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:18 PM

The picture is a 100% fake

#1- Look at the weld quality

#2- Pipe has been cut after the " block "

#3- Thats a 2002 ?

That isn't the clamp in side it's heat discoloration from the weld. This is not a factory option call SLP and ask.

Quick Reply: Eek! Fake dual pipe exhaust?