V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Eek! Fake dual pipe exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 02:50 PM

Exclamation Eek! Fake dual pipe exhaust?

I was recently informed that the right pipe coming out of the muffler on a dual exhaust V6 camaro..basically Y87's.... were blocked. Only exhaust fumes come out of the left pipe. Pretty cheap eh? Take a flashlight and look into the right pipe... it's easier to see if you have straight tips or Z28 tips instead of the ones that bend down... I talked to my friend who has a 1995 Z28.. he says even on his Z there is only a single left pipe... his right pipe is blocked... clearly the dual pipes are for looks and perhaps sound... but performance... don't think so! What is GM doing???!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 03:00 PM

im sorry..

umm.. dood... the other pipe that is "blocked off" -- goes into your muffler, then from the muffler it goes to a I-pipe that goes over the axle... both pipes put out exhaust..just one more than the other..

heheh..

Last edited by 94Camaro; 12-09-2002 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:02 PM

why don't you take a big sniff on the other pipe and reevaluate that statement
Old 12-09-2002, 03:48 PM

Cool

That was a good one...I needed the laugh.

Ever see a dual fired up outside when its cold out? See the exhaust coming out of both tips?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:57 PM

I've started it up in the cold and saw the exhaust coming out of both pipes
Old 12-09-2002, 05:19 PM

No, there's exhaust from both....

Save the world is proof of that........he's been inhaling it, while admiring your car at a stop light, while his mother jerks his leash telling him to sit.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:16 PM

Wink

Sorry guys for startin a riot!
I thought it was weird that two people I know, one a friend and one a member here, see his webpage:
http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/camaro2k2
said the same thing.
He's got a damn sweet 2002 RS and he said that he looked in the right pipe with a flashlight and saw it blocked off. My friend's dad's Z28 supposedly has the same setup.

I don't doubt that there will be smoke coming out from both pipes, as the water or moisture trapped in both pipes are prone to be heated up from the pipes when the car is turned on... anyone got a confirmation? I can't cause I have a single oulet exhaust. I understand that both the right and left pipes are connected to the muffler.... I can see that...

Oh, and SAVE THE WORLD:

"GM doesn't put useless things on are their cars just for looks."

What about those supposedly "functional" hood vents on the 1993-1997 camaro hoods?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:37 PM

What are you smoking?

They aren't blocked on any cars period.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:46 AM

I know I havent posted on here in...like a year? Lol, I was actually looking up something for my friends 99' rs...but dude...ALL GM's Factory dual outlet mufflers are just that...DUAL outlet..save those on lt-1 corvettes which only one side of each muffler is fuctional
Old 12-10-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by 3.8knightrider
He's got a damn sweet 2002 RS and he said that he looked in the right pipe with a flashlight and saw it blocked off. My friend's dad's Z28 supposedly has the same setup.

I don't doubt that there will be smoke coming out from both pipes, as the water or moisture trapped in both pipes are prone to be heated up from the pipes when the car is turned on... anyone got a confirmation?
Tell your friend with his "fake" dual outlet muffler to sit in his car while the car is running. Put your hand over the drivers side exhaust tip and do your best to completely seal off its flow. You could also just plug this tip with a towel or something. Now have your friend rev the engine up and put your hand near the passenger tip. Feel that exhaust coming out, must be magic.

GM wouldn't advertise "dual outlet" exhaust and leave one of them blocked.

If you still don't get it, go buy yourself a Z28 takeoff muffler from SLP for $99.00 and cut it open. Don't be surprised though when both outlets are functional.

Last edited by 96fbirdA4; 12-10-2002 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:15 PM

Talking

Here's the image of the blocked right exhaust pipe I got from the guy who owns the 2002 RS. There is a little crack underneath the panel, but he said it does not move out when the car is started or let out fumes.... his left side lets out exhaust smoke while the right does not.... this isn't a modified camaro either, it's a 2002 RS with Y87... Z28 tips... dunno... I knew I wasn't smoking something...

Tell me what y'all think.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:29 PM

um....thats not stock, i have the Z28 takeoff muffler on mine, looks nothing like that either you doctored the pic up or you are trying to be cute.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:49 PM

Man...I am starting to wonder about you....thats one of those dumb *** flapper things that is supposed to help aid in fuel economy..atleast thats what it looks like...I dunno it sure as hell is NOT stock. Not even gm would do somehting that sloppy
Old 12-10-2002, 11:23 PM

I'm the owner of the 2002 Camaro RS tailpipe that you see pictured there. That pic is TOTALLY, 100% GM STOCK. I haven't done anything to the engine/exhaust at all. That is welded in there from the GM factory at St. Therese. I'm the one and only owner of the car. I bought it with 0 mi. on it from the dealership back in August of 2001. If you want to see more pics, I would be more than happy to walk out to my car and take them for you. We're talking about this on this message board because it's so unusual. But there are at least 2 verified cases of this on 2002 model Camaro RS's with the dual tailpipe +5hp option. Check back tomorrow, I'll attempt to take the tip off and get some better pics for you all. I'd do it tonight, but it's past midnight, and freaking cold outside. - Ryan
Old 12-10-2002, 11:30 PM

Totally stock GM Exhaust huh?? Stock from back in 1984?? With used 4th genZ28 tips added??
That's an OLD looking, RUSTY, F-body with clamps on the tailpipe.

Quick Reply: Eek! Fake dual pipe exhaust?