V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Dealer problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 11:39 PM

Angry Dealer problems

I took my car in today concerning my problem with the car running extremely rich. I get a message from the Tech on my cell phone explaining the following...
Apparently after examining my car they see that I've tapped into the O2 sensor wire for my Air/Fuel gauge and immediately throw up the BS flag. Then they claim that they find a plug wire "fused" to the manifold. After about a 20 minute message on how he's a "firm believer" on keeping a car stock he proceeds to tell me in the years and years of dealing with cars and aftermarket parts, things like aftermarket exhaust and other add on's can cause a car to have the problems I'm having. Now, tell me how an aftermarket exhaust can cause an engine misfire? Apparently the code was P0300 which being a misfire code leaves the possibilities to be quite numerous. I just don't understand how this suspected plug wire "fused" to my manifold can cause my car to run rich. (it can, but not in this case) Now when I say rich, I mean EXTREMELY rich. My gauge was pegged. I know what my car sounds like when it's only running on 5 cylinders and that's not what it sounded like. If you remember a little while back I replaced my wires and connected them in the wrong order. That's nothing like how it's acting now.
Anyway, I need to go in tomorrow to see what they've found. He said they took pictures of my wires and the connection I made to the O2 sensor. Why, I have no idea. Sorry I'm babbling so much, but I just needed to get this out. I'm so sick of dealing with scam artists. I preach so much about getting extended warranties, but it seems as though the service departments don't want to do the work. They want to take my Borg Warner wires off and put AC Delco wires in their place...(origional GM parts.) Then charge me 2.5 HOURS OF LABOR to install them!!!!! It only took me a little over an hour to do wires and plugs both!!! WTF!!
Like I said, I'm sorry to vent on everyone, but this is REALLY getting to me. This is the 3rd time in 3 months I've had to take this car in for the same problem. See where I'm coming from. I just hope someone can learn from my experience and have some "knowledgable ammo" to go into the service department with, and not have to deal with the kindergarden kids like I do.
Time to start driving the Porsche I guess...
Old 01-21-2003, 09:39 AM

Arrow

Not really taking any sides as to what could be wrong with your car, but just a couple of general comments.

If you have taken the car to the same shop for the same problem, don't you think it is about time to change the shop? I would've done that after the second time already.

Labor for changing the wires? That is probably what the GM book says and that is what they are going to charge and that is what they can charge you. No matter how long it takes in real life.

Good luck!

TS
Old 01-21-2003, 10:22 AM

Angry

F the dealers. I had so many problems with this one by my place that I told them to go f themselves. I've only had bad experiances with dealership service depts...
Old 01-21-2003, 11:07 AM

What you're saying is true about taking it to this F'ed up shop, but the only reason I continue to take it back there is because that's where I bought the car. My extended warranty is good for another 10,000 miles. Since it's been in the shop SO MANY times, I figured that since they've worked on it every time they'd have a history on the car. Instead of taking it somewhere and starting from scratch. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and take it somewhere else. Just for those of you in the Bay Area, DON'T EVER GO TO WOODARD CHEVEROLET in Fairfield California!!!
Thanks for your input. By the way, I just got back from there and they're removing my plug wires and installing the factory wires back on. We'll see if that fixes the problem.....it's doubtful though!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:50 PM

Just an FYI, I know it's frustrating but the dealer techs. only get paid for fixing factory related problems. If there is an aftermarket part causing a problem, the manufacturer will not pay the tech. for fixing a problem a non-gm part caused. The techs will not be paid for replacing non-gm parts with gm parts, it can cause BIG warranty problems at the dealer with their factory reps. Extended warranty companies are even more difficult for techs. to deal with.
That said, a missing cylinder will put alot of oxygen past the O2, making it read lean, causing the pcm to add fuel. The best suggestion, and not a popular one, is to put the car back to stock when returning to the dealer, or have a very good explanation why your parts would not cause the problem they claim it has. Any mods. to the emission system, wiring included, will raise a flag. The tech will have to return the vehicle to stock and start diagnosing from there. I agree, if you are not satisfied with the dealer, try another dealer. I have had to do this in the past. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2003, 12:31 AM

I have had my share of dealer problems and screw ups, like stollen emblems, K&N filter, lost wheel key, bent door hinge. However, i must say that i have had a wires melted to the manifold. Just make sure that they show you the problem in the car, and ask for the old parts back. They can be an exhaust put on a car that would cause it to back fire, However, they is no way in hell that any catback designed for am F-body would do that. if you ran 5 inch pipes on a 6 cyl back into a strangly configured muffler a funny equilibrium could cause the car to run funny
Old 01-23-2003, 08:52 AM

kahouna,
stick to your guns and your warranty. i dont fight much myself, but they have to be able to prove that your aftermarket stuff caused the problem. if not, then they have to fix it! i dont go to dealerships at all anymore after my warranty expired, but dont let them give you the shaft.

good luck
Old 01-23-2003, 10:58 AM

Well, here's "the rest of the story"........I went to the dealership the last day I posted on this topic and they showed me pictures of a wire melted to the O2 sensor. Therefore, I gave in and told them that I would agree to paying half the labor, and the owner of the dealership was going to pay the other half plus the cost of the new AC Delco wire set. They installed a brand new set of wires and gave me the other ones back. Sure enough, that freakin wire was melted to the O2 sensor. The black wire loom used to sort-a protect from the heat, melted all the way and the wire was cracked in half exposing the core. Needless to say, I definately bit the bullet on this one. And that's "the rest of the story......good day"!