V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Car misfires all the time.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 PM

Unhappy Car misfires all the time.

Alright. It's a 97' RS V-6 3.8L Auto. New plugs, wires with heat shielding, and that's all i've had enough money to do so far. Coil packs are fairly new.

At first it would only misfire when presseing the accelrator more than 1/4 throttle at any time. When in park i could rev it freely out to the rev-limmiter no problem. But, when placed in park with the brake depressed, if i press the accelerator up to 1,400rpm it's fine, but at 1,500rpm is begins to misfire constantly with a rev-limmiter like sound.
Now, it misfires all the time, at an idle it misfires and when accelerating it only gets worse and there's no power.
I quickly tested full-throttle at a 40mph roll and it barely moved, it actually slowed down.

I was told it could be a Cam sensor, Crank sensor, or my MAF sensor.

If anyone could clue me in on what it could most likely be, and how much it might cost i'd appreciate it!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:30 PM

Re: Car misfires all the time.

Sounds like the general miss fire that I experienced 2x this summer

Both times it was wires, still have factory plugs.

It was a bad design, but sounds like you need more new wires, get it to a mechanic and have someone scan it, I'm pretty sure this is your problem.

~Chris
Old 09-28-2004, 08:57 PM

Thanks man i'll try it. This is driving me nuts, i can barely drive the car.
Glad i know how to control my temper. My car would be in a thousand pieces at the hand of a sledge-hammer for the amount of BS it has given me.

I'll try it out and post out-come.
Thanks again
Old 09-29-2004, 02:28 PM

Check your wires. Try rerouting them. If some of them worn/burnt they even can be temporary repaired. Can it be moisture getting to ignition module through seals under coilpacks (I had this problem)? Plugs gapped correctly? Try scanning for codes, that will narrow down the problem. BTW, you can clean your MAF very easy with electric contacts cleaner, give it a try. If it's bad coilpack(s) let me know, I have two good ones somewhere in garage.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:46 AM

wires

i just put taylors on my car 8mm and like them allot allot smoother performance
Old 09-30-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by valter
Check your wires. Try rerouting them. If some of them worn/burnt they even can be temporary repaired. Can it be moisture getting to ignition module through seals under coilpacks (I had this problem)? Plugs gapped correctly? Try scanning for codes, that will narrow down the problem. BTW, you can clean your MAF very easy with electric contacts cleaner, give it a try. If it's bad coilpack(s) let me know, I have two good ones somewhere in garage.
Thanks for the offer, i'm not sure if it's coil packs yet or not , i couldn't buy new wires but i did a "ghetto test" and they're all flowing like they should be. I'm going to check out my MAF and see if ti's that. If not i'll call around to see who will charge me the least amount for a scan, because the cheapest do-it-your-self scanner i could find was $150...way out of my reach lol. I'm hoping it's something cheap and simple. I.E. cam/crank sensor or something along those lines.

I've gotten my self into this wonderful never ending cycle: No job to get money, no money to fix my car, no car to drive to get a job. Woohoo!

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 97'RSTurd
Thanks for the offer, i'm not sure if it's coil packs yet or not , i couldn't buy new wires but i did a "ghetto test" and they're all flowing like they should be. I'm going to check out my MAF and see if ti's that. If not i'll call around to see who will charge me the least amount for a scan, because the cheapest do-it-your-self scanner i could find was $150...way out of my reach lol. I'm hoping it's something cheap and simple. I.E. cam/crank sensor or something along those lines.

I've gotten my self into this wonderful never ending cycle: No job to get money, no money to fix my car, no car to drive to get a job. Woohoo!

Thanks for the info everyone.
Ironic I'm in your same situation with a 1997 Camaro RS. I love my car but it's in the shop because the tranny went bye bye.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:19 AM

If not i'll call around to see who will charge me the least amount for a scan, because the cheapest do-it-your-self scanner i could find was $150...way out of my reach lol..
Your car is 97 it's OBDII, Autozone should scan it for free
Old 10-01-2004, 03:31 PM

I had that problem too...changed plugs and wires, within a year and a half i had to do them 2 more times. The last time i finally figured out that one of my coil packs were shot. I changed those and my ignition module and i haven't had any more problems. That problem cost me a lot of money! Good luck
Old 10-08-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by valter
Hey my father and i finally figured out what the problem is. My middle coil pack is dead after a ghetto 'take the wires off one at a time and run-it' test at night with a flash light and a long well-insulated screwdriver to make sure each pack is sparking. And turns out 2nd coil pack is bad on one side.

Valter i was wondering if i could possibly take you up on your offer. Seeing as how the new packs are in the $50 - $65 range and i have a whole $13 to my name. I'm a bit far away and money is scarce in the rest of my family also. So if u are able to donate to the "97'RS6-BucketTurd fund" i will be forever thankful and will be sure to repay you for shipping, and the rest of the coil pack value in the future.

If not, i appreciate your in-put because your mentioning of the coil packs is what led us to our discovery.

Thank you, for your time,
Anthony

(I have also sent you an e-mail.)

Last edited by 97'RSTurd; 10-08-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:21 PM

Hey my father and i finally figured out what the problem is. My middle coil pack is dead after a ghetto 'take the wires off one at a time and run-it' test at night with a flash light and a long well-insulated screwdriver to make sure each pack is sparking. And turns out 2nd coil pack is bad on one side.

Valter i was wondering if i could possibly take you up on your offer. Seeing as how the new packs are in the $50 - $65 range and i have a whole $13 to my name. I'm a bit far away and money is scarce in the rest of my family also. So if u are able to donate to the "97'RS6-BucketTurd fund" i will be forever thankful and will be sure to repay you for shipping, and the rest of the coil pack value in the future.

If not, i appreciate your in-put because your mentioning of the coil packs is what led us to our discovery.

Thank you, for your time,
Anthony

(I have also sent you an e-mail.)
go to that store and buy 1 new plug that plug is 99.9%% shot to hell from all the fuel
Old 10-08-2004, 03:13 PM

They're all new plugs, car hasn't been moved since i installed them except for test runs (probably 350ft total distance, more than likely less) up and down the street. And starting the car for a maximum of 1 minute at most to test problems (only about 5 times). i'll be sure to check the plug before hand though, it's realtively easy to get to. Also, that is counting from when the problem first started when it was barely misfiring, till it came to this point where it doens't fire at all on that cylinder.

Last edited by 97'RSTurd; 10-08-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:41 PM

Success! It was the coil pack. all set and done. Runs great and does peg-leg burn-outs like a champ once again. Friend works at Autozone and when i took the coil up there he grabbed one from the back and gave it to me and took the old one and threw it away. FREEBIE! Shhhhhh

I bet someone would make a decent amount of money off plastic covers for the damn things to go over all 3 coils. With downward facing vents on the sides and rubber-surrounded holes that press together for the plugs on the side. Would save us a lot of trouble ehh?

Last edited by 97'RSTurd; 10-08-2004 at 07:50 PM.