V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Best Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by ImportKILLER

Fram isn't a bad filter in that if you put one on your car it will do horrible things. It is just that there are better filters for a little more $$$ or some that are around the same price range. I'm sure for the average driver who doesn't really give a second thought about filters, a Fram would work just fine. With that said, there are those that want the best or something better for their cars.

Will you feel/hear/see a difference? Odds are very good that you won't. So again we are here with the those that really don't care and those that want the best or something better. I prefer a oil that has lower oxidation levels and lower wear #s. Most probably don't give a crap, but I do.

Any synthetic (with the exception of Syntec) will give you better protection than a conventional oil. That is a fact. Far greater temp range of protection, lower pour points and longer drain intervals. There are differences between Synthetic A vs. Synthetic B and Conventional A vs. Conventional B. Whether or not it is a big deal, well...thats up to everyone individually.

BTW, I really do like this thread. Been a long time since there has been a good thread. Not the usual "how do I make my car go faster" or "can my 3.4 camero beat a 3.4 mustang?"

Later guys, the beach and some coronas are calling my name.

EDIT: I totally agree with keeping up with maintenance. Even if you use the most expensive filter with the most awesome oil you can find, if you don't change it regularly you are no better off. I go no more than 3k on conventional and 5k on synthetic. I'm sure I could go push both further but I like the peace of mind.
Very good point.

Just like how cars have standards they need to meet or exceed(safety, pollution, etc), so do filters and oils. Some just meets it, while others EXCEEDS them.
For example: Nowadays emission standards set by the gov are getting stricter. Some cars meets the LEV standard. While others more than meets them and are labeled as ULEV. While others EXCEEDS ULEV and are labeled SULEV.

Fram and all filters have a standard they need to meet and pass.
So does oil. If you choose an oil, make sure it has an API symbol in the back of the container showing it has pass the SAE standards. Again, some exceed the standards, while others just meets them.

Think of your car as a start-up company in need of new employees. Would you hire a programmer who graduated with a BS degree with 4.0 or someone who graduated with a BS degree with a 3.0 average?? How about an MS in CS?? Yes, sometimes you pay the more qualify applicant a higher salary, like synthetic compared to coventional oil. But, sometimes you don't, like the AC Delco compared to a Fram.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:40 PM

Red face

I don't believe this. You idiots are fighting about a damn OIL CHANGE!!!!! Wow is all I can say. You guys need something better to do than to bicker about changing oil in your V6s. I'm blown away at this thread.

As for the ORIGINAL poster, your best bet is to learn doing it yourself. That way you will save money which can be put towards more mods, or other things in life besides your car.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by slvrbird2000
Wow is all I can say. You guys need something better to do than to bicker about changing oil in your V6s. I'm blown away at this thread.
something better such as???

such as posting a reply to this thread?

This is actually an informative thread...
Old 03-26-2003, 03:59 PM

Once again, if you don't have anything to contribute in this discussion please don't post. It's obvious you haven't been reading. Within the last 10 posts there have been numerous amounts of information posted...for your benefit. Please respect those of us who are here to help out.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by CamaroGirlz28
something better such as???

such as posting a reply to this thread?

This is actually an informative thread...
Are you blind? Look at the 2nd statement I made. Your reply helped alot.

Originally posted by Bliggida
Once again, if you don't have anything to contribute in this discussion please don't post. It's obvious you haven't been reading. Within the last 10 posts there have been numerous amounts of information posted...for your benefit. Please respect those of us who are here to help out.
See the above statement.