V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Best Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 08:59 AM

well it seems you dont know that much so nows the time to start

i would go with 5w-30 (or 10w-30 in the summer) and synthetic is better for wear and frition but cost more that is the only disadvantage

filter anything but fram

jack up the car use jack stands!! even with ramps use the stands and parking brake!!! and chuck the wheels!!

pop hood pull out dipstick so it sticks way up (you do this so you dont forget about closing your hood without adding oil)

get under car look at the black oil pan bottem of engine theres one bolt at the bottem thats the plug undoit watchout it may splash

then after that is done use the oilfilter wrench to do the filter not hard just dont overtighten(tough hand tight is good) use new oil on the seal before you put it on so the seal dont bind

then add 4 quarts of oil lower your car let it run for about 30 secs make sure you have oil pressure then shut it off check your oil

should need another .5 of a court

dont understand the antifreeze while changing your plugs but however to fill it just take off the radiator cap and top it off close it run the car for a bit let it cool then recheck it
Old 03-21-2003, 11:29 AM

How many miles do you have on your engine? If you have a lot of miles, I wouldn't suggest switching to synthetic since you will likely see a leak. Synthetic has a way of finding leaks that dino oil doesn't.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:22 AM

Different and Dangerous are not one and the same. Fram is different. Doesn't make it dangerous.

When Ford swapped to dual overhead cams everyone thought Ford flipped their gord...different.

When the Pinto had the gas tank in the back it was dangerous. Not different.

Not here to promote Fram. But a posted e-mail reply (which completely addresses the alleged problem) from another forum is hardly credible evidence.

Then look at my case. Doubt you can say I am lucky.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Bliggida
If ya got ramps, ya don't even need jack stands or a hydraulic jack. And I'd spend more than 10 bucks on what will later save your life.
. But I use Fram Sure Grip filters.
You can always use a jackstand for safety. You can use it for rotating tires. You can use it to jack up the WHOLE car, all four wheels hanging. Ramps only offer ONE height. Just because a Jackstand doesn't cost $50 doesn't mean it is unsafe or will cost your life. It's a simple design, therefor "only" cost about $10 and it's smaller and more portable.

Fram is junk like IMPORT KILLER stated. Not only was there a thread he linked you to showing that, there was an actual test done on oil filters by some guy using it on his Chrysler car. I lost the link, but it was from a couple of years ago where he tested 10-15 filters. Fram was one of the ones at the bottom. Fram used to be good. Then they decided to up the profit margin and buy their filter from someone else and just change the look of the outside. Several other filters(again, forgot the names) out there have the EXACT same filter that Fram is selling, just under a differing "Look". Another thing discovered during this test was that Fram offered very little Filter element coverage. AC Delco, as I recall was among the best of them. AC Delco has almost TWICE the amont of Filtering element as Fram. It also offered superior construction.

Since all oil is about the same, with the exception to high performance oils (not bought off the shelf) I just use Pennzoil, which is a subsidary of Quaker State.
Wal-mart sells a 5-quart oil jug for about 6 bucks. And I believe it comes out to be about 1.08 per quart - still cheaper than running cheap coastal or AutoZone brand. And its in a one-time handy-dandy jug with a cool little "Next Oil Change" sticker...FREE

I also change at 5,000 miles to keep costs down. You can go up to 7,000 miles safely, but I figure with running the engine hard and racing I'll split it between 3,000 and 7,000 = 5,000.

I'm on my 25th oil change
All oil is NOT the same. Here is a COPY and PASTED thread from a while back:

"The standarized tests that most oil companies use (whether or not they advertise it) seem to be the ASTM D-2670 FALEX (which indicate wear, lower number are better) and ASTM D-4742 TFOUT (oxidation resistance, higher numbers are better). I don't know why they chose those two tests, but all the test data I get lists those numbers. I know years ago they used to use a "three ball" test, but it has since been phased out.

The Falex (pin & vee block) wear test, a rotating steel pin is compressed between two steel blocks with a V shaped grove in each. The test specimens are immersed in the test oil. The blocks are loaded against the pin with a force of 350 lbs for a five minute break-in period. After the break-in period the load on the rotating pin is increased to 600 lbs. The load is maintained at this level for 15 minutes. At this point, the wear on the pin and blocks is evaluated by counting the number of "teeth" on the wheel used to apply the load. A wear depth of 0.001 inch corresponds to 14.410 teeth on the loading wheel. The test is started at ambient temperature and the sample oil temperature increases from frictional heating. This is somewhat like "Cold engine start," which produces the highest engine wear rates. There are two ways to Fail the test, 1.if the pin and vee blocks sieze and shear the chuck pin that is a fail. 2.if the wear is so much that the automatic loading gear cannot keep up with the wear and keep it at the 600 lbs run load, then that is also a fail.

Like I said before, Mobil 1 is hard to beat, and it's available almost everywhere. Without trying to stir up trouble in this post, M1 beat the "exoctics" (I won't name names) that cost considerably more. M1 even beats LE in the TFOUT test -- although I'd rather give up some oxidation resistance for lower wear numbers. Since I'm talking mostly about M1 and LE, here are the numbers for the two (W=wear, lower numbers are better; O.R.=oxidation resistance, higher numbers are better):"

LE 8530 - W(6) O.R.(481)
Mobil-1 - W(12) O.R.(509)

Again, I don't want to get people upset about oils, but it's hard to see how good those two are without some comparitive numbers:

Castrol GTX - W(fail) O.R.(121)
Havoline Formula 3 - W(14) O.R.(193)
Honda - W(14) O.R.(323)
Mobil - W(16) O.R.(218)
Mopar - W(19) O.R.(237)
Motorcraft - W(fail) O.R.(207)
GM Goodwrench - W(16) O.R.(221)
Pennzoil - W(fail) O.R.(231)
Quaker State - W(11) O.R.(157)
Total Quartz 5000 - W(17) O.R.(219)
Toyota - W(14) O.R.(222)
Phillips 66 Tropartic - W(17) O.R.(153)
Valvoline All Climate - W(17) O.R.(247)
Valvoline Durablend - W(fail) O.R.(166)
Edit: Forgot to mention that all tests were on 5w-30.
Look at your lovely Pennzoil. $1.08 per quart?? If you wait every month for a sale at Kragen, it's ~70¢ a quart for Havoline.

Royal Purple Synthetic was another brand that's pretty popular with some people. They even put it in there trannies and diffs. The reason being that it actually has dynoed proven HP gains. But, the catch is, the oil breaks down FAST. I read somewhere around 1000 miles only.

JtJ2000: I recommend you use 10W-30, as STATED in your owner's manual. These numbers are simply the temperature range you expect your car to be driven in. 5W can go somewhere around as low as -40°, I think cuz I don't recall the exact #. and 10W can go to as low as around 0°. Again, this is an approximate. And 30, can go up to around the low 100° range, again I don't recall the exact #. You can use 5W-30, its no big deal, but if you have a slight leak, it will leak more with 5W-30. I speak from my rear main leak experience.

5W is thinner than 10W, so it's easier for you to start your car if you're in freezing weather. But as the oil heats up, it gets thicker, that's where the "30" in 10W-30 comes in. If it's 40 the oil can get even thicker.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:30 AM

I never said different and dangerous were the same...I don't even know where that came from. I am simply stating my opinion that I wouldn't use Fram filters for the fact that they use cardboard ends where other filters use steel and on my first hand experiance cutting open Fram filters and comparing them with various other brands. In my opinion, the build quality wasn't as good. As I said in my other post, to each his/her own. If you have had good results with Fram on 7,000 mile intervals, good for you.

I posted the link to give a general feeling of how Fram filters are thought of on that particular board but I wouldn't offer people's personal opinions as evidence. As proven here, different opinions for different people. I really don't trust what other people say until I can go out and see for myself, just as I wouldn't trust Fram's response or any other company responding about their products.

There...I'm done. OK..so my revised answer to the original question: Do the oil change yourself, get whatever type oil and filter you want and see how they work out. jtj2000, you've got mail!

EDIT: Oh...Havoline! Just reminded me! If you live near a Target, they have both Chevron Supreme and Havoline (which on the back of the bottle says "Product of ChevronTexaco" and have near exact #s) for .68 cents! I don't know if they would still have any since they went on clearance nationwide about two weeks ago. I cleaned out the local Targets in my area.

Last edited by ImportKILLER; 03-22-2003 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by ImportKILLER
How many miles do you have on your engine? If you have a lot of miles, I wouldn't suggest switching to synthetic since you will likely see a leak. Synthetic has a way of finding leaks that dino oil doesn't.
True dat. And, of course, it's a 96 so it's gotta have wear on it. Even if you don't drive much time has a way of aging things. And Chuck those wheels like Camaros-4-lfe said. If you jack on one corner, chuck the wheel on the opposite diagonal corner. If it's stick, put it in R along with the E-brake.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:49 PM

Well I think I really get how to change the oil. All I have to do now is find that screw. Is it the one that's in the center bottom of the engine, that has alot of gunk around it? One more thing, what do you mean by getting rid of the tires? Take them off so it's easier to get under? And one more thing - the brake rotors, how can you tell just by looking at them if they need to be replaced? Thanks so much!

Jason
Old 03-23-2003, 10:21 AM

Hey F1GT, or anyone. What is LE Oil? What brand is that?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:30 AM

Probably "Lubrication Engineers".

I use their tranny fluid in my truck.....GOOOOD STUFF!
Old 03-23-2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by All_InTheRED
Probably "Lubrication Engineers".
Yep
Old 03-24-2003, 08:40 AM

Once again...

- 125,000 raced and daily driven miles.
- Fram filter at 5,000 mile intervals
- My oil is just as clean as yours,
Now, if I've gone 125,000 miles (which is probably more than whats on your car) where is the reliability issue you're talking about???

Just because Fram uses cardboard doesn't mean its a bad filter automatically, because some other companies like to use a (just as cheap) piece of metal, yet charge you an additional 10 dollars because you believe you are getting a superior sealing ability. Which is all the cardboard (or metal) does. It has to do with sealing. Not the actual filtering. And in regards to the sealing ability of a Fram, I have never had one drip, never, once.

And, any oil you buy at XXX auto store is going to be the same. I am well aware of all the tests done, and there is an "inkling" of a difference between all of them.
Your choices are regular, synthetic, and racing oils.
The only one that is going to make a differance is a racing oil, and that you can't buy at XXX auto store.

If you don't like Fram filters fine. But don't say that they aren't safe to run, or that there is a reliability issue with them without evidence. My engine will prove you wrong.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:58 PM

Really...

I'd be interested to see this topic posted on that oil message board where there are a great number of people who work for various oil companies and guys who specialize in oil. I think they'd get just as good of a laugh out of the comment that "all oils are the same". Yup...all oils are the same. Run two identical engines for 100,000 miles under the same conditions...one with a cheap Car and Driver oil, a better conventional oil like Chevron and a synthetic such as Mobil 1 and I bet you'd see differences in the three engines in terms of wear. But...thats probably due to something else since oil is oil. I wonder why Mobil 1 is factory fill for some of the higher end cars...

One doesn't equal the whole...just because YOU haven't had any problems, doesn't mean there haven't been any. I wonder why there is such a big crowd against Fram? I don't see such a crowd against other filters.

I'm not saying your car will die if you use a Fram, but the quality isn't the same as some of the other filters. For the average car driver, a 3,000 oil change and a Fram filter should be OK. But for those who want something better, there is better out there. For 99% of the people who drive, most don't give the oil filter a second thought. They see so much Fram around, figure it must be good. Most people don't know what kind of quality they are buying. For that, all I can say is cut them open and look. Compare the quality. Can't tell how "clean" an oil is just by looking at it...thats what oil analysis is for.

I'd be interested to see the oil analysis of your car...then we'll see just how "clean" it is.

BTW, I'm only spending $1.97 on oil filters...

Last edited by ImportKILLER; 03-24-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:14 PM

Thats why my Olds 455 and the Camaro get AC Delco filters.

My truck gets a Motorcraft FL-1995 Filter (sucker holds 2 quarts in itself, out of 15quarts total). It actually costs less than the Fram crap fiter at Wal-Mart.

The Fords get Motorcraft filters...and GM get AC-Delco's....period.

U get what u pay for in everything in life.....this includes oil and filters.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:36 PM

Can't go wrong with stock...figure if they selected it to go on stock, it has to be half decent. They figure some people go extended drain intervals on them so they have to last longer than 3,000. I think the Delcos are 25-40 micron rated, aren't getting full catching sludge...ADBV but no bypass. I'll usually pick up Delcos when they go on sale...have to be careful though. There have been cases where the Delcos aren't real Delcos but imitations. Usually just cheap for the six weld spots.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:46 AM

CLICK ME IF YOU LIKE FRAM

Quick Reply: Best Oil Change