Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

95 Z28 Vs. 04 Cobra.... oh wow...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 05:48 AM

95 Z28 Vs. 04 Cobra.... oh wow...

Now i know this guy probably wasnt the greatest driver in the universe, he was just some punk kid that daddy obviously bought him the car..... assuming the car was his at all..... but i pulled up to a stop sign today with a brand new.... supercharged....4.6L mustang cobra.....6 speed? 5? im not sure, but i know it was a stick... im almost positive it was a 6 though (not big on mustang trivia) but anyways, so i launch it..... he launches it.... and i neglected to see that he was even a cobra..... it was at night, and the car was black.... so it was hard to see much detail... but my friend pointed it out later and i stopped and asked him if it was a cobra and he affirmed it... even admitted to it being supercharged.... i will not try to say i beat it... but god DAMN i was close.... for my car with what it has? i was only about 2 car lengths behind him after the (estimated) 1/4 mile mark....( from start to finish i counted to 14 and estimated how far he was with an average 1/4 mile time... i know its flawed but hey, either way, he wasnt 5 cars ahead of me...) i was disappointed at first, because i thought i just got ripped by a stock GT... because when we first pulled to the light all he said was it was stock with exhaust... and didnt mention it was a stock cobra.... but i was stoked when i heard what it was... i HELD with a SUPERCHARGED COBRA!!!!! that made my firday night something special... i know i didnt beat it, but i know without spending a whole lot i know i could tear some paint off of one of those.... i figure with a new stall converter... flywheel... and full exhaust (headers, and some type of catback system) i would be able to take him..... and no i dont want bob cosby in here talkin mess about how i shouldnt and couldnt have been able to hang as i did with that car, because i have a flesh and blood witness to it, and if i ever see the mustang dude again on the street ill tell his *** to come on here and affirm it for you..... im sorry but im proud that an auto 95 Z28 can run with an 04 cobra... and still get smoked... but nowhere NEAR an embarassment like i thought it would be.....i was just relieved to hear that it wasnt a GT that smoked me.... i was beginning to wonder if i was losing power.... you know how when you drive a car with no current mods on it for a long time it just doesnt seem that fast anymore after a while? yeah.... i figured if i just got blown by a stock GT with exhaust... there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with my car mechanically... but hey... cant argue with how it went down tonite i can handle that...

Last edited by ZeeDub; 09-25-2004 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 AM

Re: 95 Z28 Vs. 04 Cobra.... oh wow...

ROFLOL. You know, mentioning me in your post is not a smart thing to do. I'd of been more than happy to read your post, get a little chuckle from it, and then go on. But oh well.

There was likely nothing wrong with that car. With a poor driver, even your wore out LT1 with a grey hood could stay with it (which is why I have no problem believing your story). Don't pat yourself on the back too hard though, an 03/04 Cobra is a high 12 second car in stock form with a a good driver, which is quite capable of obliterating a lightly-modded low 14 second LT1. Not a slam - just a fact.

You have also discovered how nice it is to have an A4 against an M6 (all 03/04s are M6s). All you have to do is stab and steer. The other guy actually has to have skill (which was obviously lacking in this case).
Old 09-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
ROFLOL. You know, mentioning me in your post is not a smart thing to do. I'd of been more than happy to read your post, get a little chuckle from it, and then go on. But oh well.

There was likely nothing wrong with that car. With a poor driver, even your wore out LT1 with a grey hood could stay with it (which is why I have no problem believing your story). Don't pat yourself on the back too hard though, an 03/04 Cobra is a high 12 second car in stock form with a a good driver, which is quite capable of obliterating a lightly-modded low 14 second LT1. Not a slam - just a fact.

You have also discovered how nice it is to have an A4 against an M6 (all 03/04s are M6s). All you have to do is stab and steer. The other guy actually has to have skill (which was obviously lacking in this case).

True that.
A half decent driver would make your car look like a Honda, no ifs and's or buts.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:17 AM

I raced one out at the track last night. My only loss of the night. It was naturally quite a bit faster but due to his inability to cut a decent RT and a bad 60 ft., it was actually a good race. He nipped me by less than a car. My buddy with a '95 Talon TSI returned the favor a couple passes later.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:18 PM

the way i see it... yeah all i REALLY have to do it hit the gas, but there IS a small bit of technique in driving an auto... like how high to bring your revs up before launching, and how much gas to give it so you dont lose traction... things like that.... when he launched? he had decent traction... and i would have assumed that with him changing gears and not missing (as in he seemed to have the gears where they needed to be when they needed to be there) his car even with a bad driver wouldnt lose 2 seconds in the 1/4....... granted it WAS a street race... so he probably wasnt going "***** out".... but then again..... neither was i....
Old 09-25-2004, 02:34 PM

Good run, but an '04 Cobra is a high 12, low 13 second car. With a better driver in the Cobra, it could have been an ugly loss. But it wasn't, so cogratulations.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:37 PM

Bottom line is a race is a race. Even if the almighty cobra missed a shift, or if it was a bad driver. None the less, u hung with him and didn't get smoked that time. Nice race.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ZeeDub
.....even with a bad driver wouldnt lose 2 seconds in the 1/4.......
I've seen (with my own two beedy little eyes) brand new 03 Cobra's run 14.5 @ 104 mph. That's about 2 seconds and 8 mph off what a well driven Cobra is capable of running.

Ya, a bad driver (with a manual) can have a HUGE effect on the outcome of a race. Good or bad.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:50 PM

Zeedub,
See what you can do about cleaning that sig up a bit. Too much whitespace...

So you're sandbagging the 04's eh?

-Mindgame
Old 09-25-2004, 09:51 PM

Drivers make all the difference in the world. I raced an 03/04 cobra at the track last weekend. I ran a 13.5 to his 14.1 !!!!! His mph was like 108 but could not launch. His best for the day was a 14.0... can you believe that shiznit?? In all reality I should have lost; but I did'nt. To the victor go the spoils.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:07 PM

He should have annihilated you, but this is proof anything can happen on the street...FYI all 03/04 cobras are 6 spds, and all cobras are stick...good runs

Last edited by Antz97ZNJ; 09-25-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:42 AM

a race is a race is a race he still hung with him...thats like saying well gohliath won cause he is much stronger then david...even though david killed him...it should not have happened!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:51 AM

thus my point.... whether or not he SHOULD have won (which he did, but really not by much and i KNOW it would be a little bit worse if he was better..) but come on now man... neither of us were going all out, i didnt floor it off the line and neither did he.. it was a semi rolling start... and he hooked up just as good as i did.... so with his hp/tq he should...and i mean SHOULD have smoked me bad..... but here is how i see it.. if a new cobra... supercharged and everything was running a 14.5...... he had to have been SO BAD as to have been stuck at the starting line roasting his tires.... OR he was at half throttle damn near the whole race... COME ON GUYS! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!?!?!? thats from high 12s to 14.5??!?!?!? that takes a PROFESSIONAL IDIOT to pull off.... you gotta actually TRY to screw up in order to make a run at 14.5 in a car capable of running high 12s.... granted i DO know a driver makes a difference.. mainly in how they hook up off the line... after that? its just shift speed... and he didnt miss any shifts... and since we had a semi-rolling start... (which i see to be a speed of 5 - 10mph before actually stomping the throttle) so i dont see how a whole lot of his driver skill was being used, when he had no traction issues and didnt miss a shift.... i mean maybe he was shiftin a bit slow, and maybe he was too small to reach the pedal for WOT.... who knows... a lot of factors could be considered, but only one of em is worth looking at....... the fact that on a timeslip i would have proof that i wasnt too much slower than a new 04 cobra...

and btw, someone mentioned an 03 cobra? were those even supercharged? it was to my knowledge that the SC version only came out in 2004+.... cuz when i worked at the hospital, the engineer had a 01 cobra, and it was cool, but nothing to blow your skirt up.... and he got his 04 cobra when it first came out... and said he only got it because they added an SC to it... so... why even use an 03 as ammunition? its a dud...

you guys seriously underestimate my car man.... this isnt my first car..... its my 10th.... and my 7th camaro....ive built 4 of those 10 cars... im not just sayin my car is fast because ive been driving a ford festiva all my life..... im sayin its fast because its faster than any car ive had.... including the 72 nova i restored... that had a 97 corvette 350 in it.... (of course, you have to consider it had a carburator conversion, and was in a 30 year old nova... so it wasnt really a whole lot of competition for another 97 vette.. so im not saying it was lighting fast..) but that car was damn quick, and this one? would eat it alive... i dont know WHAT it is, or WHY its like that, but the car says it has 150k miles on it (false due to gears, probably more like 125k) and with things like shift improvement, gears, ECM tuning, and intake.... this car is FUH-KING FAST!!!! nuff said...
Old 09-26-2004, 07:38 AM

You'd really do a lot better if you'd just learn when to shut up. Unfortunately, though you claim to "know enough" about cars, you certainly don't know enough about how the rest of the world turns.

Line item time....

Originally Posted by ZeeDub
thus my point.... whether or not he SHOULD have won (which he did, but really not by much and i KNOW it would be a little bit worse if he was better..) but come on now man... neither of us were going all out, i didnt floor it off the line and neither did he.. it was a semi rolling start...
So neither of you were going all out? Perhaps you were racing and he was not? And what is a "semi rolling start"? Either you were rolling, or you weren't. Either you were racing, or you weren't.

Simple, really.

and he hooked up just as good as i did....
My 04 hooks perfectly damn near everytime. Then again, I don't street race. Hey...maybe we're on to something here! See above statement that ends with "and he was not".

so with his hp/tq he should...and i mean SHOULD have smoked me bad.....
Correct.

but here is how i see it.. if a new cobra... supercharged and everything was running a 14.5...... he had to have been SO BAD as to have been stuck at the starting line roasting his tires.... OR he was at half throttle damn near the whole race... COME ON GUYS! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!?!?!? thats from high 12s to 14.5??!?!?!? that takes a PROFESSIONAL IDIOT to pull off.... you gotta actually TRY to screw up in order to make a run at 14.5 in a car capable of running high 12s....
Those "professional idiots" were Ford Executives that brought a couple of 03 Cobra convertibles to the 2003 NMRA Columbus race last year. They had probably never even been to a dragstrip - to say nothing of running down one.

You know - they probably had something in common with you - never been to a drag strip. Does that make you a "PROFESSIONAL IDIOT" too? One could make a pretty good case for this.

granted i DO know a driver makes a difference.. mainly in how they hook up off the line... after that? its just shift speed...
Sorry, but that last statement shows you know squat about getting a manually-shifted car to accelerate quickly.

Stick with you stab-n-steer car, Jr.

and he didnt miss any shifts... and since we had a semi-rolling start... (which i see to be a speed of 5 - 10mph before actually stomping the throttle) so i dont see how a whole lot of his driver skill was being used, when he had no traction issues and didnt miss a shift....
Well, at least we defined "semi-rolling". So its rolling, just not rolling very fast? Thus "semi-rolling?" Got it.

As for driver skill...again, you know not what you speak of. Wouldn't it be interesting to put you in my 99 and watch you go a full second (or more)slower than I do? But its just shifting. Right?

i mean maybe he was shiftin a bit slow
How do you know this? Were you timing him?

and maybe he was too small to reach the pedal for WOT.... who knows...
Who knows indeed. The point is that you do not.

a lot of factors could be considered, but only one of em is worth looking at....... the fact that on a timeslip i would have proof that i wasnt too much slower than a new 04 cobra...
A) To get a timeslip one must visit the racetrack
B) Pat yourself on the back some more - a car that would normally fry you was driven poorly and allowed you to stay close.

and btw, someone mentioned an 03 cobra? were those even supercharged?
Yup.

it was to my knowledge that the SC version only came out in 2004+....
Which once again proves your depth of knowledge. Or not.

cuz when i worked at the hospital, the engineer had a 01 cobra, and it was cool, but nothing to blow your skirt up.... and he got his 04 cobra when it first came out... and said he only got it because they added an SC to it... so... why even use an 03 as ammunition? its a dud...
No, you're a dud - the 03 is virtually identical to the 04.

Hey, perhaps you raced an 02? Those were only semi-supercharged. You'd have stayed close to that one I bet.

you guys seriously underestimate my car man....
Not likely.

this isnt my first car..... its my 10th....
Seeing as you are 21, that is a rather scary thought.

and my 7th camaro....ive built 4 of those 10 cars...
Really? Did you used to work at one of GM's assembly plants or what?

im not just sayin my car is fast because ive been driving a ford festiva all my life..... im sayin its fast because its faster than any car ive had....
Wow.

including the 72 nova i restored... that had a 97 corvette 350 in it.... (of course, you have to consider it had a carburator conversion, and was in a 30 year old nova... so it wasnt really a whole lot of competition for another 97 vette.. so im not saying it was lighting fast..)
Wow #2

but that car was damn quick, and this one? would eat it alive...
If your low 14 second car would eat this Vette-engined Nova alive, then that that "damn quick" car was likely a 15 second ride.

A good race for your local Honda boys, but not fast.

And I just can't pass this one up....do you know what engine comes in a 97 Corvette?

You really should think before you type. Making things up on the internet is dumb - and makes you look the same.

i dont know WHAT it is, or WHY its like that, but the car says it has 150k miles on it (false due to gears, probably more like 125k) and with things like shift improvement, gears, ECM tuning, and intake.... this car is FUH-KING FAST!!!! nuff said...
In your world, and from your perspective, I'm sure it is.

Have fun.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Yeah, the LTSZR2 engine came in the 1997 Corvette.
Thanks! I was trying to remember the designator (I'd of put it in my post if I could).

Quick Reply: 95 Z28 Vs. 04 Cobra.... oh wow...