Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

sphon torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:03 PM

Question sphon torque arm

getting ready to order one and saw that when putting it on you have to adjust the pinion angle....can anyone tell me what that might be and how hard the arm is to put on and get the angle on the pinion right? Does it come with a gauge?

thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 04:28 PM

Re: sphon torque arm

Originally Posted by RUFST
getting ready to order one and saw that when putting it on you have to adjust the pinion angle....can anyone tell me what that might be and how hard the arm is to put on and get the angle on the pinion right? Does it come with a gauge?

thanks
it will have paper work with it on how to adjust it with a angle gauge. take it to a shop with lift ( ake sure it lifts with the tires and not the frame, the rearend should be at the ride height location).
Old 05-19-2006, 04:37 PM

As mentioned above, the torque arm comes with a instruction manual that outlines the pinion angle adjustment. Also, it does come with a very nice pinion angle gauge.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Good product... the Spohn arm is great, as are the instructions and the included angle finder. Its a little tricky to make sure you understand how to subtract the angle of the pinion shaft and the angle of the drivershaft, but as long as you know the pinion shaft and the DS should form a " \/ " pointing down, you'll be OK. Its a bit of a drag to crawl under the car, but the rear axle can be supported by jackstands to put the components in the correct relationship to measure.

Second item.... please limit posts on LT1/LT4 Engine Tech to engine-related topics. I'll move this to the "Suspension....." forum for you.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:24 PM

thanks....yeah i know it has to be at a "V" .....so the car does not have to have the tires supporting the weight, it can be on 4 jack stands or what?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:28 PM

the rear axle has to be loaded, it had to support the weight of the car
if you use jackstands u must position them under the axle
Old 05-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RUFST
thanks....yeah i know it has to be at a "V" .....so the car does not have to have the tires supporting the weight, it can be on 4 jack stands or what?
Originally Posted by Injuneer
Its a bit of a drag to crawl under the car, but the rear axle can be supported by jackstands to put the components in the correct relationship to measure.
Seemed clear to me The rear body-to-axle has to be in its normal, loaded postion. Putting the jackstands under the rear axles does that. It doesn't matter what you do at the front of the car..... on jackstands or on the ground. You could also put the rear of the car on ramps. The important thing is the body needs to be at normal ride height over the axle assembly. That means either the wheels on the ground or on ramps, or the rear axle supported by jackstands directly under the axle tubes.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:10 PM

thanks guys that cleared it up and i think i can do this now....esp. after looking at your website...Injuneer...and seeing yours! looks good