Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Opinions on QA1's with Pro Kit springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:09 AM

Opinions on QA1's with Pro Kit springs

Im trying to get my suspension in order. I just ordered the Eibach Pro Kit and i'm wondering how these are with the QA1 Gen F's. If anyone is running this combo, please chime in and give your reviews. TIA!

Lekan
Old 05-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Re: Opinions on QA1's with Pro Kit springs

I did the QA1/HAL shocks with the Eibach Pro-Kits. Didn't like it at all. I was very careful to match the front spring seat height to the stock spring seat height, but the front end dropped 1.8", which was a bit too low. Simple matter of adjusting the front height, but seemed strange it dropped so far. The back only dropped about 1".

Then there was an extremely jerky/choppy motion in the back end of the car.... sort of like an S-10 pickup slammed on the rear axle. I wouldn't mind a very firm or harsh ride, if it contributed to handling, but this was just an annoying "chop". I tried playing with the QA1 adjustments, and the only way I could get rid of the weird choppy motion was to loosen the shocks up to the point where they really didn't control the way they should.

I eventually realized you really don't want to lower a 1/4-mile car, and switched to the Eibach Drag Launch springs in the back and QA1 springs in the front.

You are aware you need a modified spring seat for the front springs to fit the Eibachs on the QA1's? I have an online procedure for the install, and a drawing of the seat mods, if you are interested.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:56 PM

i don't like my eibachs either. they really suck for the LT1
variable rate seems like a good idea on paper, but in reality it's bouncy and doesn't contribute to a nice ride at all.

that's why i ordered ground control coil overs for the front/500# and will run stock springs in the rear for now
Old 05-27-2005, 04:04 PM

So do you all suggest I dont go with the QA1's or the Pro Kit?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:37 PM

If you like cornering, the QA1's aren't the shock for you. I ran them for 2 years with both the Eibach Pro springs and the QA1 drag shocks (up front) and the car cornered poorly. At the time my goal was weight transfer for drag racing but I've switched my goal to have a mean street machine which means good cornering. I like my Eibachs matched with a set of revalved Bilsteins. Talk with Sam Strano at stranoparts.com. He can help you pick a setup for your driving style. Steve Spohn is another good authority on suspensions.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:46 PM

ok.. i have the qa1(well putting in soon) but for strait drag.. there good right?!?! i dont care how well i corner.. as long as it gets the job done, and done well in drag...

thanks
cory
Old 05-27-2005, 09:42 PM

The QA1's will provide weight transfer on launch to help get the weight on the rear wheels. The standard 12 way adjustable shocks reduce dampening for both up and down movement, so a lower setting makes the shock easy to rise and fall. This produced a problem for me as my track had a very short "run off " area after the quarter mile, so I had to get on the brakes hard. This produced a nose dive and I would rub the tops of my tires on the fender liners I believe QA1 now sells a shock with independent adjust for up and down dampening...a better choice.