Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Front Control Arm Bushings!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 PM

Front Control Arm Bushings!

Alright, so I'm rebuilding my car, engine, tranny, suspension, etc. and have run into a little hiccup. I just ordered/received the Energy Suspension bushing set from Summit racing for my 1994 Trans AM. After taking my front control arms apart and removing the existing bushings (I got the car used just awhile ago, but they seem like they were originals with 230,000 on them) I began "assembling" the Energy Suspension ones. After staring at the instructions as though they were written in Greek, I attempting to understand/fit the pieces together. But I don't understand what I'm supposed to do exactly, has anyone done this before, no of a site to go with "good" instructions, or just offer some advice? I would much appreciate it! This is for the Front Lower Control Arm Bushings.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Administrator

I did the complete ES "Master Set" on my 94, and the instructions were crystal clear. What part are you having a problem with - upper or lower a-arms? If its the revised design in the horizontal lower control arm bushing, the metal "can" needs to be hammered out of the lower control arm, and the various ES parts need to be assembled using a very strong C-clamp to force them together.

Its more than 10 years since I did the install.... but post the specific questions and I'll try and help you as best I can.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Injuneer:
It's the lower A arms. Yes, it said that the metal "can" as you said needs removed, but I wasn't sure if that was right, or how to remove it and not cause damage. Also it said to use the inner rods (metal part of the bushing where the bolts would slide through) from your old bushings. However, they are one piece, and in the diagram/instructions it shows them "unscrewing" or something but they wont. do I need to purchase/can I purchase new ones? Oh, and I got the master kit as well and am replacing everything!. thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator

I burned the old bushings out with a propane torch, and the metal ferrules that the bolts push through just required a little extra heat to remove them from the old bushings. Then clean them up.

The cylindrical can in the lower A-arm, for the vertical bushing came out simply by hammering the outer edges into the empty hole. There were no welds that I can recall.... just a lost of rust. And that was after only 5 years on a car that seldom saw rain/snow/salt. Appeared to just be pressed into the A-arm.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Injuneer:

Thanks for the help, you were right, the can was just pressed in, and cam out easy with my press. The torch Idea worked well and everything is put together perfectly now! You have a good memory!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately, I'm getting so d@mn old that its not going to last much longer......