Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Is Zaino really all that great?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:01 PM

I tried Zaino, and applied it like 6 times. The shine was OK, but it wasn't as smooth as when I finish with the Meguires Gold Class. For some reason, Meguires leaves my car's paint much smoother. IMO, the meguires left the same shine and it left the paint smoother. I use a big, white bath towel, and the meguires comes off pretty easily. Just in case, my car is silver, maybe thats why the shine didn't change much.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by JJ's95B4C
I tried Zaino, and applied it like 6 times. The shine was OK, but it wasn't as smooth as when I finish with the Meguires Gold Class. For some reason, Meguires leaves my car's paint much smoother. IMO, the meguires left the same shine and it left the paint smoother. I use a big, white bath towel, and the meguires comes off pretty easily. Just in case, my car is silver, maybe thats why the shine didn't change much.
Did you clay bar the car before you applied zaino? Also did you know you can only apply 3 coats max at a time. Not saying you don't know what your doing but just that alot of people don't notice anything because there missing out on a step application or something along those lines.

but normally its either a hit or miss with most people you either like it or you don't
Old 03-03-2004, 11:29 PM

I am sold on it...

as for application, I put a coat of z5 on usualy let it sti on for a few hours, take it off, put on z6, let it sti for a good 45 minutes then put another coat of Z5, let sit fe hours, then do a cotat of z6, then let sit like 8 hours(usually overnight) then put on a coat of z2, and then a coat of Z6....
Old 03-04-2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by 97BBlackZ
Did you clay bar the car before you applied zaino? Also did you know you can only apply 3 coats max at a time. Not saying you don't know what your doing but just that alot of people don't notice anything because there missing out on a step application or something along those lines.

but normally its either a hit or miss with most people you either like it or you don't
Yup....washed the car with dawn before I used the clay bar. I left it perfectly clean. I only applied two coats the first day, and would apply more coats after I would wash the car. Again, this was my personal experience. I'm not saying it wasn't smooth, just not as smooth as the meguires.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by JJ's95B4C
Yup....washed the car with dawn before I used the clay bar. I left it perfectly clean. I only applied two coats the first day, and would apply more coats after I would wash the car. Again, this was my personal experience. I'm not saying it wasn't smooth, just not as smooth as the meguires.
for some reason I can see it not working well on silver though...
Old 03-04-2004, 07:58 AM

I have seen several cars with Zaino on them, The shine doesn't seem to be a "wet" shine, seems more plastic looking than anything. Also I have heard that Zaino isn't the best for light colored cars(white, silver). I was using Liquid Glass reguarly and loved the shine and durabilty in the Florida weather. I switched to NXT a few weeks ago. I'm still not overly impressed with NXT, but i want to use at least half the bottle. I am switching to Wolfgang products to see how they are.
There are a ton of high end waxes and polishes out there, Klasse, Vanilla Moose, PS21, Zaino to name a few. There is a good website if you would like to get some car detailing info info to the extreme..

www.autopia.org

Check it out.

Last edited by gol10dr; 03-04-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:02 AM

All I can say is that after a northern indiana winter, my car looks like I just polished it. I never had that with any other product.

ZAINO ROCKS!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by gol10dr
I have seen several cars with Zaino on them, The shine doesn't seem to be a "wet" shine, seems more plastic looking than anything. Also I have heard that Zaino isn't the best for light colored cars(white, silver). I was using Liquid Glass reguarly and loved the shine and durabilty in the Florida weather. I switched to NXT a few weeks ago. I'm still not overly impressed with NXT, but i want to use at least half the bottle. I am switching to Wolfgang products to see how they are.
There are a ton of high end waxes and polishes out there, Klasse, Vanilla Moose, PS21, Zaino to name a few. There is a good website if you would like to get some car detailing info info to the extreme..

www.autopia.org

Check it out.
I have Zaino on my white Monte SS... no problems at all. I love it.

Can see pics on page two:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/466733
Old 03-04-2004, 11:47 AM

First let me say prep is the most important step. A good wash, micro fibers, dry ect is the key over any product.

I have over 20 coats of Zaino on my car. If my car was kept outdoors I think I would not use anything else. Its protection is very good, better than conventional store bought waxes.

I am not impressed with the overall shine. I like a more wet look verse a plastic like shine I feel I get with the product. Now remember I said if I did not have a garage or covered parking at work I would use nothing else. Having the benefit of these features I feel there are many better items out there for the wet look. Most do not last as long, some last almost as long so it all comes down to what your looking for.

I am looking for a wet shine, doesn’t have to last more than 2 weeks at a time so that takes me out of the “normal” user.

I personally like products like blackfire, poor boys, and PS21. I also feel there are benefits to other products. I feel PS21 makes a great wheel cleaner. It is gel like, I think sonax makes the best car wash so explore.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:50 PM

That makes me think of another question. Is it safe to use other products on the car after it's been originally treated with Zaino? I'm pretty certain I'm going with Zaino after what I've read. But I keep seeing how it doesn't leave that "wet" look which I also really like a lot. I think it's Eagle One that has this product. But it's in a black spray bottle and it's basically just called wet shine. Not only does it work wonders on my car but it also somehow smells really really good. I go cruising for the night after I've applied it and amost every person who comes over to comment on my car also makes a comment about how my car smells good for some reason. A bunch of my friends use it because of me now. It's mainly an applicator for just before you go into a show, or before you leave the house to go cruising. It doesn't last more than a couple days. But it sure looks good when it's done. After it washes off the car still looks good, just not that deep wet shine like when you first put it on. My car is black btw and I feel that color or anything similar probably looks the best when it comes to polishing shine.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:01 PM

I know on the autopia BB all of Zaino users top off their zaino with a pure carnuba wax(poor boys, vanilla moose) to get the wet shine. The Eagle one "WET" isn't the best, I've tried it and didn't like. So far from what I've used Liquid Glass is the best, the jury is out on NXT.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:39 PM

Actually you do not want to top zaino. I love pure carnaubas for a wet look, but topping Zaino will yield very little gain. Even those at autopia.org will agree it is not worth toping zanio.

I truly believe if it is an outdoors car, no garage, no car port, get Zaino and use it. The protection outweighs the lack of wet factor. If your lucky, have a garage, have covered parking at work, then you have more options because the environment is not playing as much of a toll..

Example, my buddies black truck I am going to Z2 this weekend. Why, it sits outside, needs a lot of protection and is black. If he had a garage I would be all over poor boys products or PS21…
Old 03-05-2004, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Jay-Roll
That makes me think of another question. Is it safe to use other products on the car after it's been originally treated with Zaino? I'm pretty certain I'm going with Zaino after what I've read. But I keep seeing how it doesn't leave that "wet" look which I also really like a lot. I think it's Eagle One that has this product. But it's in a black spray bottle and it's basically just called wet shine. Not only does it work wonders on my car but it also somehow smells really really good. I go cruising for the night after I've applied it and amost every person who comes over to comment on my car also makes a comment about how my car smells good for some reason. A bunch of my friends use it because of me now. It's mainly an applicator for just before you go into a show, or before you leave the house to go cruising. It doesn't last more than a couple days. But it sure looks good when it's done. After it washes off the car still looks good, just not that deep wet shine like when you first put it on. My car is black btw and I feel that color or anything similar probably looks the best when it comes to polishing shine.
Have you tried Z6?

I feel my car has an awesome wet shine(pics in sig)... It lasts a decent amount of time, but its not as nice when you first apply it, but overall is much better then if you didn't use it... I read up about using it between coats of z5, and z2.

I didn't really use much my first major zaino day, then I used alot of it my second day and I think it looks wonderful.

As for zaino and light colored cars I somewhat agree its not the best for shine... My expereince comes from my rims... I put alot of zaino on my rims, along with the Z6, they do look wonderful but its not as big of a difference as it did on my car... Maybe it has something to do with it being rims, and not my car but it is clearcoated silver paint. But the zaino does make them a breeze to clean now
Old 03-05-2004, 12:50 AM

I think if you don't put on quite so much layers you may get a more even shine. This is something that I've discovered recently.

If you are like me, a compulsive waxer/polisher, then what is the key is a little break in between layerings. I would try putting on two or three layers at a time, then go between with a polish enhancer like z6?. If you can give the polish enough time to set in and thin out a bit, then I think you will eventually get the wet shine you are looking for.

In my case, I will put a lot of wax on, but in increments of a layer or two at a time. If the wax isn't thoroughly stretched in your final buffings after a while excessive layers will not have the optimal clarity and shine that a few would otherwise have. It also depends on your routine and your tastes. In time, you will need to remove the excess deposits and start fresh if you really want the best finish year round.

My problem is that (although I tell others that a little wax is enough) I never feel that I have enough wax on. A good way to measure your shine quality and consistency is to take photos in between layerings (a good camera will tell you things that your eye tends to block off). When you start to see that your layers are not quite as sharp as the beginning layerings of polish or wax, then its time to just coast and use a thin layer of touch up, until you're really sure its time for more polish/wax.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by gol10dr
Also I have heard that Zaino isn't the best for light colored cars(white, silver).

You have heard, not seen. Important difference. I detailed a 2002 silver Jetta straight from the dealer showroom floor. It was the beginning of 2002 by the way. I clayed it and put only 2 coats of Z2 on it. I cannot emphasize this enough, with the sun out around 11am-2pm, you could not look directly at the car if you were standing outside it (ie when it was parked); driving didn't cause problems.

But the shine was incredible.

Quick Reply: Is Zaino really all that great?