Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Paint blisters on the roof of my '96 Z28

Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Paint blisters on the roof of my '96 Z28

Hey guys, My much loved '96 Z28 has developed two weird paint blisters on the top of the cab. At first, there was just the one and it looked a bit like a blade of some sort had created a slit in the paint. Over time, the black paint blistered up to a rough circle of 2.0" to 2.5" where the black paint simply peeled away. It's not rusted one bit. Then, a second, slightly smaller occurrance made an appearance, about 4 inches away from the first incident.

Questions:
  • I'd read that leaving a car cover on the car, out in the sun, after a heavy rain, could overheat the top and perhaps cause these issues. Have you heard that?
  • Is there a writeup on prep/paint to repair the tops of our cars?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Re: Paint blisters on the roof of my '96 Z28

On My car the clear coat started peeling on roof right behind both T tops dead center about the size of a dime .... had the top repainted for 400 dollars
my car sets under a car cover and a carport ... I think its just old age catching up ????

Last edited by parkers Z28; 07-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Re: Paint blisters on the roof of my '96 Z28

I believe the the roof is fiberglass bonded to the chassis. Could be wrong tho. Doesnt matter tho.

You shouldnt have to have any shop do it for you. Prep is easy. Use 600 grit wet and get all the high and low spots out. You can tell when its nice and level, there wont be any shiny spots left. For the blistered areas, sand with the same grit until all the the affected area is feathered out to the rest of the good paint. Use a filler primer(spray can) to either spot prime or you can prime the whole panel(up to you). Then block sand with 600 grit wet again. Obviously tape off everything you dont want to get paint on.

Finish coat: you can use Duplicolor spray cans. Black pt# BUN0100 and any clear will work over that. Apply 2 light to medium coats, possibily 3 depending on coverage. allow to dry for 10 mins between coats. After final color coat allow to dry 30 mins they apply clear coat. Clear should be 2 light coats then 1 medium coats to avoid runs. Allow to dry over night. If there are any runs in clear, follow next step until the clear is nice and level. If there is any unwanted orange peel, then use 1500 grit wet followed by 2000 wet until all the "shinys" are gone. Then you can compound, polish, and glaze(in that order) with a variable speed buffer followed by a coat of wax.

Can be done in a day. This is something everyone can do to there car with a little bit of patience and time. Adds a nice personal touch to any car. You dont have to do black. You can pick any color that you feel accents the main color nicely. You can also do the side mirrors, door handles and just about any black trim piece the same color.

These instructions apply to anything that you would want to paint, whether it be little spot repairs to complete refinishing. Or just to add your own personal touch to you pride and joy.

edit: make sure after sanding and before painting that you wash the area, dry completely. blow out any corners and edges, wipe with tack rag and use a surface cleaner before painting. lacquer thinner is not surface cleaner. It will leave a residue and the paint will end up bubbling again. You need to use a wax/grease remover.

Last edited by Zfbod94; 07-31-2013 at 11:48 AM.