General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Wanting to clean the engine bay a llittle

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:53 PM

Wanting to clean the engine bay a llittle

ok i was wanting to take the valve covers off and clean them up and a little bit of paint on them and re paint the intake manifold its red and i want to keep it red just want to touch it up because the paint is chipping and make it look a little neater

how hard is it to do this task to take everything off and put on and what is the best paint for this application?

also is there a way to hide a few of the wires so i dont look to cluttered i dont want to a full wire tuck
Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 AM

Re: Wanting to clean the engine bay a llittle

No one .....
Old 12-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Wanting to clean the engine bay a llittle

You have to be a bit patient. We ask that you not push your posts back to the top until 24 hours have passed.

Valve covers are simple to remove and replace, once you have pushed all the stuff above them out of the way, and unplugged the plastic elbow in the passenger side cover. Any high temp paint will work. You may also need new gaskets for the valve covers, although not always.

The intake manifold is a major undertaking. Wiring harness had to be moved out of the way, fuel rails and injectors need to be removed and flipped out of the way. The TPS, MAP and IAC need to be unplugged. The MAP sensor connector in particular is prone to crumbling. EGR riser pipe needs to be removed from the back of the manifold, EGR solenoid unplugged. EVAP connection needs to be removed - both electrical and hoses. Throttle body either needs to be removed from the manifold, or the coolant lines need to be removed from the throttle body. To paint you need to remove the EGR components, throttle body, MAP sensor, vacuum hoses for Opti, PCV, AIR, brake booster, etc.

Once you pull the manifold and clean/paint it, you will need new intake manifold gaskets and ultra high temp sensor safe RTV for the walls at the front and back of the block. Extremely critical that the RTV is installed properly, manifold is set very carefully on the RTV beads, and the RTV is allowed to cure for 24 hours. Failure of any step will typically result in a serious oil leak, usually at the back of the manifold.

For removing the intake manifold, see Shoebox's guides to cam removal and install, since removing the intake is one of the steps.

4th Gen LT1 F-body Cam Removal

4th Gen LT1 F-body Cam Install