Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Help me choose a wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 11:12 PM

Help me choose a wax

I want to wax my car this weekend and i know all you guys recommend Zaino but there is no way i can get zaino this weekend, so i will have to use something i can pick up at a local store, so please tell me what is my next best alternative, i think i want to clay bar the car also.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:15 AM

For clay get Mother's or Clay Magic, for wax you could get Mother's Gold Carnauba, Meguiar's Gold Class, Liquid Glass to name a few.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:50 AM

Smile

If you have a CarQuest or NAPA nearby, you might look for DuraGloss products. Their polishes, #111 and #101 are excellent products, as is their QD spray, and car wash.......and the prices are pretty good too. These products will be more durable than most others you can find locally.

Also, you might try Mother's Cleaner/wax or Mother's 3 step (cleaner, polish, wax). Their cleaner wax is actually a pretty good product, since it's relatively cheap and easy to use. Meguiar's makes a comparable 3 step and cleaner wax system too. Finally, Liquid Glass is a product that has been around for ages that has a decent shine and a little better durability than the carnauba products.

For clay, look for either Mother's or Clay Magic.

Happy waxing!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:40 AM

Ok i think i will go for Meguir's gold. Any tips on how to use a clay bar i have never done it before. Also i have road tar on the lower part of my cars body near the wheel wells what is good for that.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:31 PM

Well just got back from washing and waxing the car took me 3 hours but it was worth it, saw a lot off heads turn and and lot of amazed looks thanks to that deep gloosy shine and the cameleon's refelctive blue green paint. I used Wd-40 to remove tar from the lower parts of the car it worked but scratched the clear coat which realyy ticked me off but some scratch remover fixed that problem. Then i used Clay magic clay bar that was followed by Meguiars cleaner wax and then by a coat of Meguairs Gold. Personally i think the car looked better with the cleaner wax, next time i am going to put two coats of the cleaner wax and forget the Gold. So im Happy but very tired, now its time go for another ride.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:45 PM

Sounds like it came out pretty nice. I'm gonna go the whole route of some SERIOUS detailing this next week cuz I'm going home on leave and I get to see my car and I'm stripping off all the old wax and puttin on some Meguires Gold Class.

So after three hours you get one coat or you do a couple?
Old 06-14-2003, 06:50 PM

In three hours i was able to wash then do clay bar then 1 coat Meguiars cleaner wax then 1 coat Meguiars Gold. So thats a total of 2 wax coats
Old 06-15-2003, 11:22 PM

Here's what my 2k bird looked like after i hit her up with the clay bar and zymol wax, let me know what you think

http://www.vzavenue.net/~ngeorg/
Old 06-16-2003, 01:54 AM

Very nice this Zymol stuff looks just as good as Zaino. Your car shines like a mirror. What products did you use and what was the process for applying Zymol. Also where do you buy this stuff.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:58 AM

Unfortunately, the Zymol can't begin to offer the same level of protection or durability of Zaino.

It's VERY, very easy to make a product shine, but if it has no durability or protection, what good is it really?

Old 06-16-2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by DarCwuN
Very nice this Zymol stuff looks just as good as Zaino. Your car shines like a mirror. What products did you use and what was the process for applying Zymol. Also where do you buy this stuff.
I used the extra bubbles amorol car wash to get the paint for the most part smooth and most of the dirt out, then used the clay bar all over the car, then put about 4-5 coats of zymol where stuff hits from driving like the nose and hood and side mirrors. Then did just 2 coats of wax on the rest of the car. It shines up real good, I got turned on to it from a few corvette friends of mine after seeing their cars up close it looked amazing. I've used liquid glass in the past and it does a good job too, i've never hit up zanio but have always wanted to try it out but so far so good with the zymol.