Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

totally unexperienced

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 02:06 PM

Question totally unexperienced

hi!

i am going to ask for help from anyone who is willing to help

i am completely inexperienced when it comes to cleaning, detailing, washing, waxing and etc.

What I usually do is take the car to a automatic car wash and then buy some towels and try to remove the stuff that the washer hasn't removed and just dry the car.
I usually choose the wax option too, when at the car wash.

(i must mention that using the automatic car wash method usually gives me some trouble of water leaking through the t-tops)

I usually vacuum the car after the wash and that's about all I do. (Well, I clean the rims too, but using only water & towels)

I have purchased this car just a week ago and I figured I should pay more attention to it than I did to my older mazda. It also has a dark leather interior.

So as you can see, i don't know almost anything about this, though I still try to keep the car clean most of the time.

The car's color is polo green. I do not have a garage because I am a college student, renting, so it pretty much stays outside (i try to keep it in some shadow since there's plenty of trees around). It looks like this color is not the best when it comes to dust gathering on it. Just a little dust and you can already notice it.

My question is, could someone write a simple pattern that I should follow for both exterior and interior and also, suggest some products for this?

Thanks a lot!

------------------
'95 z28, m6, most options
short shifter, single flowmaster
Old 08-01-2001, 02:48 PM

First you should be aware that car detailing requires fairly serious amounts of time, effort, and $$ for optimum long-lasting results. That being said, here's what I'd do in your situation. Drop by your local auto parts store i.e. AutoZone or Wal-Mart and pick up these essentials: 1 claybar (Mother's or Clay Magic), a swirl remover/polish preferably from 3M (part 39009) or Meguiar's, a final wax for durability i.e. Meguiar's Gold Class or Mediallion, a car wash soap preferably from your brand of wax products you choose, and a quick detailer i.e. Meguiar's. This is a good combination to get started in the detailing arena. Start with the claybar first to remove most contaminants and get your finish as smooth as glass. Then apply some swirl remover (maybe more than 1 coat depending on your paint). Finally, wax the paint for extended protection. The quick detailer is used with the claybar and also whenever you want to give your car quick touch-ups without washing. Since you leave your car outside it will need even more protection than "indoor" kept cars. So, frequent hand washings and polishings will help tremendously in fighting off the elements. BTW, those auto washes you go to probably hurt your car more than help, and the "wax" option is completely worthless, just another way for the company to get you to spend another buck. I would normally recommend Zaino products, but since you're just getting started I believe the above combination will work fine, for now. Actually Zaino would be better for your car since it protects much much better against sun, dirt, rain, etc and lasts way longer than store bought brands. If you do decide to try Z, go with Z1,2,5,6,7,& 18. All of these would be required of anyone just starting the detailing process. I know from experience that Zaino is well worth the effort compared to other brands. I really don't know how I put up with Meguiar's and similar products for so long. They require so much more effort...

Now, for the interior... I use Lifter1 on my carpet and seats(faric) to keep them in near showroom condition. Then a good vac to remove loose dirt is always necessary. I keep my dash and plastics looking great with Meguiar's interior protectant, and Armor All Wipes. And that's really about it on the interior, unless you have leather...

For some miscellaneous product suggestions to make the process easier (and less damaging in some cases), I'd recommend you pick up: a 100% cotton wash mitt, a 100% cotton detailing towel or two i.e. Royal Velvet brand or similar, an Absorber for fast scratch-free drying, and 100% cotton applicator pads.

Good Luck!
------------------
**Mike's 92 RS 25th**
92 RS 25th Anniv. Dark Red Metallic (Brillant Red)/ Flame Red
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953 H/U, Kenwood 4x6 Dash, Pioneer 4 way 6x9's
20% 3M Panther Black Tint
Lots O ZAINO

My ESP JH2 and Fenders

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited August 01, 2001).]
Old 08-01-2001, 03:21 PM

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

I do have leather, so any suggestions about taking care of it?

------------------
'95 z28, m6, most options
short shifter, single flowmaster
Old 08-02-2001, 08:32 AM

One suggestion that I can make, is to invest in a California Car Duster. Be sure to get one of the ones with a wooden handle, as the plastic ones (IMO) are more inferior. Anyway, they are great at lifting the dust, and light durt off of you car, without harming it's finish. I have one, and it's especially useful in the springtime, when the pollen is so bad. Good luck with your new car.

Brandon

------------------
94 Red Z-28 Hardtop A4, Superior 4.10 gears, T/A Rearend Girdle, Flowmaster Muffler, HPP+, B&M Shift+, !TB, !CAT, !AIR, !EGR, NGK TR 55's, Taylor 8MM wires, Clear front signals, Tailblazer brake light covers, TransAm T-handle shifter, Tinted windows.

This car is FOR SALE !!! Check out the pictures on my website.

Vettenut's Homepage