N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

tapping into plastic fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:13 AM
01Z

tapping into plastic fuel line

I have searched but did not find...

I need to tap into the fuel system in three places. One for my fuel supply to the solenoid, another for a fuel pressure sensor and last, for a fuel pressure safety switch.

I know I can use the fuel feed line schrader at the back of my engine and even use a Tee to get two connections but I'm wondering if I can use the barbed Tee that came with my kit. It looks like I would be cutting a plastic line and then pressing those barbs into a plastic fuel feed line. The barbed Tee comes with a couple of hose clamps but will they do any good on the plastic line?

I'm wondering if the plastic feed line is the correct inside diameter for the barbed Tee (it's a 3/8" line) and if it is even pliable enough to use. I know I had better know these things before I cut into it! Anyone have any experience with this and have some advice? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:06 AM

Re: tapping into plastic fuel line

Call Dave before you do any cutting.

I do not know the size of any of the connections, but my NX kit has a big long barrel nut that attatches to my fuel noid and the line runs to the schrader valve. On the sides of this adapter there are two (2) fittings that can be plugged or in my case you can screw your FPSS and guage into it.

I really would avoid cutting the lines if possible.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Could you run a 4an manifold straight off the solenoid and have a 4an hose connect that manifold to the scraeder valve? Then, the 4an manifold will have two 1/8NPT fittings that will allow you to screw in a FPSS switch and a fuel pressure gauge. That is how I did my setup.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...product_id=368

Last edited by 2000GTP; 06-09-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:14 PM

Yes^^^ One of those things, just that is attatched to my solenoid instead of the valve.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 AM
01Z

Good reply! That is the solution I think. How many 1/8 NPT ports are there on the manifold?

I made one at work today. Not as elegant or anodized but if it connects to the Zex control module, I'm home free. Thanks....
Old 06-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 01Z
Good reply! That is the solution I think. How many 1/8 NPT ports are there on the manifold?

I made one at work today. Not as elegant or anodized but if it connects to the Zex control module, I'm home free. Thanks....
The manifold has two of those NPT ports, it only shows one in the picture though I think.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 AM
01Z

Okay thanks.

Here's my final question on this topic. Is there any problem with connecting the -4AN flex hose end fitting to the schrader port?

The schrader threads are straight and not tappered (NPT) right?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

The Schrader valve threads are the correct threads for a -4AN fitting. The threads are straight. Nothing to prevent you from attaching a -4AN hose, or any other -4AN female fitting to the Schrader valve.

I don't know where the Schrader valve is on your LS1. On the LT1 engines, the Schrader valve is behind the intake manifold, pointing straight up at the cowl. Its a good idea in that case to use an NOS part #17535 -4AN 90-deg swivel fitting, to allow you to attach the fitting to the valve, aim it in the right direction, and avoid the risk of trying to over tighten whatever you are attaching to the Schrader valve and breaking it off the hard line.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM
01Z

Thanks Fred. I have the hose end lightly screwed in place now. Actually the schrader valve stem is tilted by 20 to 30 degrees in the direction of the driver's side where the line is coming toward it, on my engine. I already have the 90 swivel so I'll use my judgement on what to do. I read your past advice on how easily these things are destroyed by over tightening and that they aren't inexpensive so I'm being careful.

It's off topic for this thread so please look for a question I have on hooking up my fuel pressure gauge on the A pillar. Mostly where to tie into for the backlight. Thanks all!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 01Z
Thanks Fred. I have the hose end lightly screwed in place now. Actually the schrader valve stem is tilted by 20 to 30 degrees in the direction of the driver's side where the line is coming toward it, on my engine. I already have the 90 swivel so I'll use my judgement on what to do. I read your past advice on how easily these things are destroyed by over tightening and that they aren't inexpensive so I'm being careful.

It's off topic for this thread so please look for a question I have on hooking up my fuel pressure gauge on the A pillar. Mostly where to tie into for the backlight. Thanks all!
all you need for a back light is a positive 12 volt sorce and a ground- your so close to the headlight switch there on the a-pillar- run your wires down and figure out what wires are hot when you turn your headlight switch on...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:33 AM
01Z

I want the dimmer to work with the gauge so I need to tap into the feed wire after that device. I better make another thread for this. thanks
Old 06-18-2006, 09:59 AM
01Z

Here's my solution for the installation. The fuel pressure gauge seems to work fine after I bled the air out of the system. Take a look at what I did: