N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Dual Stage vs Progressive Controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 AM

Dual Stage vs Progressive Controller

Let's say we are talking in the range of a 200-300 shot on a smallblock car(lt1 for example). Would you rather go with a dual stage setup or a single stage with a progressive controller?

I've heard a lot of people say they thought the initial big hit which doesn't necessarily have the best distribution really puts a strain on the motor. Obviously with a progressive controller this could be avoided while running just as much nitrous. What do you guys think?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Re: Dual Stage vs Progressive Controller

Good question. Anyone with an answer?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:58 PM

Dave sells an awesome 2 stage progressive controller (I have one) which is the best of both worlds. You can set it up any way you want it.

That being said most guys that race want the full hit out of the hole. On the street the progressive is nice because its a little easier to hook (talking small shots lol, not 300 on the street) and is of course easier on the motor.

Progressive controllers are hard on your solenoids though. NOS ones are not recommended at all, NX seems to be one of the better choices for progressive.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jsetzer
NOS ones are not recommended at all, NX seems to be one of the better choices for progressive.
Can you clarify what you mean by that. I have used NOS controlers on street cars and now others that have and had no problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:27 PM

i have no xp with the nos controllers, but i would assume that he would be talking about the type of pulsing on the solenoids.

I would personally disagree with a progressive controller be used more on the street though over a dual stage. The progressive system is great for being able to run very consistent track times. If you wanted to spray moving though, the progressive doesnt do much for you.

Dual stage is nice for anyone interested in starting to play with N2O.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 PM

I think jsetzer was referring to the NOS solenoids (probably the little power shot style) and not the NOS controllers.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Joe, I think a progressive setup would be better for all around traction and ET just about anywhere, as long as you set the ramp(s) appropriately. Progressive controllers are so damn tunable now, and offer many other functions besides a progressive hit. I'll be running the NOS mini controller, but you might look at the FJO too - among it's other functions you can map the the curve on a laptop anyway you want, based on rpm or time. Both are a little over $200.00 and both will control two stages of spray. So it doesnt really have to be a matter of Dual stage or Progressive - you can do both (if you've got the cash )

If you're planning on a little street racing though, a two stage setup definitely rocks. Advertise one stage and hide the other. You have the option of using both stages, or if you're out in front, only single staging it (then set the other guy out a little and setup another race )
Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by speedmiser
Joe, I think a progressive setup would be better for all around traction and ET just about anywhere, as long as you set the ramp(s) appropriately. Progressive controllers are so damn tunable now, and offer many other functions besides a progressive hit. I'll be running the NOS mini controller, but you might look at the FJO too - among it's other functions you can map the the curve on a laptop anyway you want, based on rpm or time. Both are a little over $200.00 and both will control two stages of spray. So it doesnt really have to be a matter of Dual stage or Progressive - you can do both (if you've got the cash )

If you're planning on a little street racing though, a two stage setup definitely rocks. Advertise one stage and hide the other. You have the option of using both stages, or if you're out in front, only single staging it (then set the other guy out a little and setup another race )

Yea, I had pretty much made up my mind on the progressive setup, but I wanted to hear other opinions. This car might see some street action, but nothing for any big money to be worth hiding a kit.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Sorry, I was refering to the NOS brand noids not likeing progressive controllers, don't know what it is about them but people say they don't like the abuse.

The FJO is awesome for the money. Everything all in one.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jsetzer
Sorry, I was refering to the NOS brand noids not likeing progressive controllers, don't know what it is about them but people say they don't like the abuse.

The FJO is awesome for the money. Everything all in one.
Thats odd I've never had a problem running controlers on NOS solenoids. In fact I have talked to a lot of people and they never had a problem either.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:38 PM

You have to understand that on boards, respected folks (people who run 10's or better usually) have a lot of highschool nutswingers regurgitating their information as if it was their own information. Get one or two respected guys saying they had a problem with NOS noids and you get a bunch of kids pimping NX noids as if they were sponsored by them.

NOS wouldn't still be here if their products weren't any good...
Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 PM

Some of the NOS products are better than others. Over the years, I've personally had problems with the little NOS power shot nitrous solenoids sticking - 2 stuck closed - 1 stuck open (that's without progressive use on 2 different 2 stage systems). I won't use the power shots again. (Also had problems with the small compucar nitrous noids) The larger NOS cheater solenoids have worked fine for me though.

I definitely would not recommend using power shot noids on a progressive setup - IMO you're asking for trouble. Use a larger solenoid. Maybe it's a problem with the smaller coil packs on the power shots... dunno... Maybe one of the site nitrous sponsors will chime in on this.

I'm a little to old to be an NX pimping kid, but with the larger solenoid bodies and orifices, along with a nice warranty and refurb policy, I really can't see how the NX noids would not be a better choice than the power shots, on a progressive setup.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:14 AM
LBJ

I too was concerned about stepping up from a 125 to 175shot on my stock block just using a window switch......... getting the "big bang" at 3000rpm was making me a little nerves so I bought the FJO from nitro dave along with a NX iceman pureflow noid (NOS/NX 5177 Dry kit) to take the abuse. The software is great and easy to use and the wiring is very easy and simple......not my first n20 install though. I have mine coming on at 2700rpm 5% and by 4000rpm 100%............ not a punch in the face just a little bitch slap
Old 06-18-2006, 08:51 PM

I use dual 100 shots and have the 1st stage on a window switch and the second stage on a push button on my hurts T-Handle. I like it because on the street I can wait a bit longer to activate the second stage, or not use it at all if the race is easy to win. I usually keep the window switch set higher on the street. At the track, I get more aggressive.