LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wiring the New Fans tommarrow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:19 PM

Wiring the New Fans tommarrow!

Im finally going to wire in the aftermarket fans tommarrow.
Here is a pic:

So the question is they only have one plug to wire into on their. Im wondering if I wire the fans into the low fan if the two new fans will stay on all the time
Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Eff

Re: Wiring the New Fans tommarrow!

That would be my guess. how many wires are on the plug?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:56 PM

2 Wires, Im guessing one is a positive and the other is a ground...
Old 01-10-2005, 08:49 AM

Those look like the Flex-a-lite fans that I wired up on a buddy of mine's car. I just wired them up on a pair of relays so they'd run any time the key is on. I used two relays (one on each fan) as a failsafe in case one of the relays failed.

Are you familiar with how to do the wiring? If not I can explain it to you.......
Old 01-10-2005, 08:51 AM

Any Info would be helpful...
Old 01-10-2005, 09:15 AM

Ok here goes. You'll need the two relays I was talking about before, some wire that is the same thickness of the wire coming off of the fans (lookes like 12 gauge) and you'll need some smaller wire, connectors and some fuseholders.

I'm just going to give you the wiring for one relay/fan, just do the same process again for the second relay/fan.

Decide where you want to route the wires to, either drivers side or passenger side of the engine bay. This is where you'll put your relays. I would suggest either Bosch 30 amp relays or DEI. You can get DEI relays at car audio shops sometimes since DEI makes viper- get the 30 amp ones. You'll see some blade terminals coming out of the bottom of the relay, they are marked with numbers. I'm going to give you the specifics of what wire goes to which terminal, it will be up to you to route the wire neatly and secure it away from any moving/hot parts. Fused constant power input from the battery (you can also get it from the red plastic power distribution on the passenger side side fenderwell marked + ) needs to go to "30" on the relay. Run a wire from "87" on the relay to the white power wire on your fans, this is the +12 volt power wire to run the fans when your key is on- This wire needs to be the same gauge as the wires coming off of the fans. Run a small gauge wire from "86" to ground. Run a fused small wire from "85" to the underhood fusebox on the drivers side- locate about a heavier orange colored wire and connect it to the wire you have just run over from the relay. This wire powers up and kicks the relay on when you turn the key on letting power through to your fans. Lastly you will need to take the black wire coming off of your fans and ground it. Make sure the ground is suitable because if the ground comes loose at any points your fans will stop.

Let me know if this isn't clear. I work at a car audio shop where I'm wiring stuff up all the time and I tend to fly through this stuff a little quickly.....