LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Weird condensation about long hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM

Weird condensation about long hibernation

I left the car without being started for maybe 5-6 months. Just sitting there, no prep work.

The battery was, of course, dead, but the after that was taken care of, the car started right away.

Several issues:

- it was smoking a lot till the temps got higher; I assumed a lot of water had accumulated in the exhaust due to repeat hot/cold every day. This is not happening any more. I put my hand there, I got water droplets, but no coolant.

- the cap of the oil filler as well as the PCV valve had lots of droplets of that brownish liquid that looks like water and oil mixed. Oil looks fine though.

so, obviously, there is water somewhere in the system. I assume it'll evaporate.

now, the new thing:

Smoke is coming out of the dipstick, not a lot, but I can see it; I assume, again, there is moisture in the crankcase, but the oil does not look diluted.
when I rev the engine, the smoke goes more 'straight' indicating some blowby. I never checked that before so I have no idea if it was like that before.
I plugged it with my finger while reving and I don't really feel pressure, but I have a breather as well and the PCV valve is working too, so I am not sure.

I would assume blowby cannot develop as the car just sits; Am I correct with this assumption?

Is it normal to get that much moisture everywhere after not using the car? (I am in LA, so it's not particularly wet around here).