LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Washed Engine no start :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Washed Engine no start :(

Yeah I know its like the dumbest thread ever, Especially since I consider myself to know quite a bit about cars and I already knew about the OPTI on camaros.
There is 2 versions to this, the short and the long.
Heres the short.

OK so after a TON, and I mean a TON of work and aggrevation with this little bastard child I decided to wash the car and the motor since the motor was filthy from all the work.

Now Ive never had any problems with the ignition on my car, Ive washed the motor several other times and even drove through plenty of deep puddles and not a single hickup.

My car used to start within 1 second flat every time, its only got 100k on it. I litterally mean turn the key revrooooom just like that.

Yesterday about 10am
Ok imediatly after the car wash no start, not even a kick out of it. I sat and tried here and there for about an hour or so before the tow truck came and every time absolutely nuthing. Another reason I kept trying is because it was so cold water was freezing and I didnt want it to freeze in the opti, so I thought spinning it would help create some friction and hopefully prevent the water from freezing.
Also the motor wasnt that hot when I washed it, I started the car from dead cold and drove about 2 miles to wash so the motor only got to about 1/4 of the temp gauge. Gauge goes from 160-260.

I tried some more over a friends where I had the car in the garage with heat on the motor and heating the garage, it was about 70-80 in the garage. Checked spark and its there on the plugs.
No luck

Later on about 6-7 pm I disconnected both my batteries (yes I have 2) and hooked them back up and by luck she started up but ran real rough.
It was blowing some smoke which im sure was from all the unburned gas from trying to start it, and yes it smelled like gas big time.
The garage door was of course closed and Im the only one in there so jack *** me lets the car die and opens the door. I could have kept it running this Im sure of.
After that it never started again.
I cleaned 7 of 8 plugs since 1 is a real pita to get to and 2 were black, 3 were clean, 2 were soaked with gas. These are all new GM plat plugs with about 100 miles on them.
I was there until about 11pm trying

Next day sunday 11am
No start still and I was getting some kicks here and there and it winded up a few times like it want to start but in a short period of time the starter gave out from all the abuse.

Sunday 4pm
Replaced starter ($170 ouch). I get some kicks but nuthing real promising.
I charged up my batts again.
I finally checked the spark rythem while cranking and with my light it was real funky, like spark spark, nuthing, spark, nuthing nuthing nuthing, spark spark spark on front plug drivers side.
Then I thought maybe light isnt picking it up right or maybe form the motor kicking so I dc'd all the plugs and test a few of them.
I will call the plugs #'s but not the right #'s.
#1 - spark spark spark, nuthing nuthing nuthing, spark spark spark, nuthing nuthing nuthing, spark spark, nuthing nuthing, spark, nuthing

#2 - spark spark spark spark, nuthing, spark spark spark spark spark

#5 - sparks pretty consistantly but really weak spark

#6 - spark spark, nuthing, spark spark, nuthing, spark spark, nuthing

So if you ask me thats pretty random, with the motor spinning the same speed it should just be spark, spark, spark, spark etc....

So I think thats everything, does this sound like an opti, coil pack, ICM, ECM ?????? Maybe all of the above?

Im posting the long version in another thread, Ill edit and link it once Im done.

Last edited by megahyperion; 12-02-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Hard to say what it is...could just be wet wires..I would spray WD 40 all over the plug wires and opti..Do it a few times,it does wonders at displacing water..Hence the WD.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Washing engines and water kills opti-sparks. Thats what my bet is on
Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM

sounds like the opti to me
Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Ive always heard when an opti gets wet it usually dries out and works again but just doesnt work for like a few hours to a few days. So its possible to just smoke one with 1 shot?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM

interesting you write this, because my motor kinda has been doing this as it rained for the first time in a year yesterday in phoenix. im gonna let it dry out for 2 days and see what happens, but its also interesting that you say you smelled smoke.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator

My last comment to you other "Camaro nightmare" thread....
This weekend
Flushed core fixed heat problem and now temps back to normal (heater core effecting temps ????? Camaros rock <- sarcasim).
Enging all dirty from all the work time for washy washy.
Hopefully you are aware that when you "washy washy" the engine, you better not get the Opti wet.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by rasputin
interesting you write this, because my motor kinda has been doing this as it rained for the first time in a year yesterday in phoenix. im gonna let it dry out for 2 days and see what happens, but its also interesting that you say you smelled smoke.
smelled smoke? you mean I smelled gas? cause the motor was flooding from no spark I assume.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM

When I washed mine I wiped out the MAF.

Just another thing to look at after you dry out (or replace) the opi.

I was lucky, I was able to borrow another MAF and found out that's what it was. It will run rough and either really lean or really rich.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:39 PM

sounds like you got 'opti-mized'
Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by elisowski
When I washed mine I wiped out the MAF.

Just another thing to look at after you dry out (or replace) the opi.

I was lucky, I was able to borrow another MAF and found out that's what it was. It will run rough and either really lean or really rich.
I gots me a 93
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by megahyperion
I gots me a 93
Of course no one knew that, since you didn't bother to include that info in the original post.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Of course no one knew that, since you didn't bother to include that info in the original post.
What u in a bad mood today?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by megahyperion
What u in a bad mood today?
No.... he is not is a bad mood. It just happens all too often. Someone will be throwing their advice and knowledge out there just to find out that the car doesn't even have the part the person assumes is the issue. Information up front is the best way to get a good answer without attitude.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen97Z
No.... he is not is a bad mood. It just happens all too often. Someone will be throwing their advice and knowledge out there just to find out that the car doesn't even have the part the person assumes is the issue. Information up front is the best way to get a good answer without attitude.
honestly I didnt even think someone would suggest the maf, not that it was a bad suggestion,and I thought I had that it was a 93 in there somewhere, think I put it my other thread and forgot to with this one.

Quick Reply: Washed Engine no start :(