LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Trouble Installing new LT1 Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 06:45 PM

Re: Trouble Installing new LT1 Thermostat

Originally Posted by Injuneer
And it's the aftermarket controller that's set at 185°F? Sounds like the aftermarket controller is not working.

The PCM only monitors the signal side of the fan relays. If the relays switch when the PCM applies the ground the PCM assumes the fans are running.

I'm surprised you only found 2 fan relays in the underhood box. In late 94 and all 95’s have 3 relays. The relays are wired to turn both fans on low speed (226°F in stock program), and switch both fans to high speed at 235°F (stock). The earlier 2 relay setup simply turns on fan #1, then fan #2.

http://shbox.com/1/fan_schematic_1995.jpg
Long detailed response below!

Thank you for the helpful insight! The fan controller definitely works. I spent a lot more time looking into this instead of responding without context.

The temperature probe supplied by the Davies unit is my main focus now. With your info, I tore into the CSR pump wiring first and I can confirm the original owner may have lurked these sites as he installed the stand-alone relay properly.

Relay Wiring:
BLK-grounded to radiator core (I wizzed the metal and took the time to professionally redo 3 grounds sharing this point)
YLW-found this wired to the A/C fuse instead of fuse#11-Ignition (both only stayed hot at Start/EOR)
RED-Wired to positive multi-trunk on passenger side

Pump Wires:
Black was grounded at pump relay as normal
Was it Orange(?) for pump power

I stated earlier I painstakingly disassembled the 2 garbage fan controllers completely from the engine bay and installed the Davies dual unit, to the letter per instructions. I set the unit to 82* C (179.6) and at that time, the probe was in the upper section of the radiator. Here's where the fun starts. I mentioned with my infrared temp gun, every spot I would target would range from low 130* to around *180 (this includes radiator upper hose (cool return(?), lower hose, upper hose before thermostat housing, thermostat housing, pump, pump housing. The last 4 ALWAYS are hotter than other targets of course.

Before I did the thermostat and found the original owner installed a standard Chevrolet V8 Tstat, there was a 30* difference from the actual upper hose at the water neck and the thermostat housing itself, even though they were inches apart. That issue is no longer.

So I feel the temp probe is the "culprit." My radiator is a big case dual core aluminum unit amd that beast doesn't get hot unless it's hot out. If the probe is only reading say...137* from the fins but the PCM is seeing 200* in the housing via the ECT sensor, the controller is lagging far behind, allowing the internal coolant temperature to reach "unsafe" levels. I data logged again on Sunday and same thing, I was able to watch the ECT temps rise to 195* just before home. I then targeted all the same areas with the gun and again, fan controller probe when I shot it showed 152*. Once the engine was off for a couple mins, the probe hit 180* and the fan came on once and the temperature never went over 178* again.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Re: Trouble Installing new LT1 Thermostat

I really can’t comment on the Davis controller, the probe, or the whole setup. Just too far removed from the factory system which is very reliable. I don’t understand why people feel the need to trash it.

I ran the stock PCM/relay fan controls (Fan1/Fan2), reprogrammed fan on/off temps. My max fan2 on temp was 192°F, based on the dyno tuning on an engine dyno. Only non-stock components were a Hypertech 160° ‘stat and a Griffin aluminum radiator. Never had a problem of any kind with coolant temperatures, and that included ~800 HP nitrous assisted pulls on a chassis dyno. Street and strip use never showed any issues. I did not have A/C, so no condenser to block the radiator. The Griffin had the stock oil cooler connections, cooler was retained, Had a stand alone fan assisted trans fluid cooler, because when I bought the Griffin I was still running the T56, so no trans cooler. When we went to the TH400 it needed a cooler.

I had dash/pillar mounted gauges for engine oil and trans fluid temps, and monitored the PCM coolant temp reading with a Scanmaster LT1 digital readout.

https://www.camaroz28.com/g/picture/28411029

https://www.camaroz28.com/g/picture/30343406

https://www.camaroz28.com/g/picture/8152781