LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ticking/Knocking noise from passenger side of engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:41 PM

Ticking/Knocking noise from passenger side of engine

Like the title says, ever since i got my new tranny installed the ticking or knocking noise has gotten a lot worse. it changes with the RPM and goes away sometimes when i shift it into gear. also it goes away while cruising but comes back when idling. i thought it was the exhaust hitting the floor board but it's not. checked all the spark plugs, they're tight, idk what else it could be. i also did a search, help, this is really getting to be annoying.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 PM

Re: Ticking/Knocking noise from passenger side of engine

Your rocker arms are coming loose and ticking. The passenger side is the harder side to get to...you have to take off your alternator, then remove your valve covers(4 screws). Then you have to put your alternator back on in order to start your car and listen to the ticking. you Must to this even if you can tell which one is loose because you will have to tighten it down to the correct amount(zero lash).

But before you do all this, make sure it sounds like its coming from the valve cover. If so, then go ahead and remove it and see if you can tel which one is loose(sometimes it obvious, sometimes its a lil harder to tell...depending on how loose it is)

If it sounds like your rocker arm, then post back and ask how to find zero lash(or ask)...i cant remember the exact way..but I think its you tighen the bolt down till it stops clicking, then tighten it another half of a turn.(all this is done with the engine at idle ofcourse)
Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 PM

It's an obvious ticking above the engine when you're just standing there looking at it, but when you put your head in front of the front tire on the passenger side, it gets even louder. I'll check the rocker arms, and i know how to set the zero lash without running it too so i'll do that. According to shoebox you just spin the pushrod with your fingers until you JUST START to feel it drag on the rocker arm, then tighten it another half a turn. I'll let you guys know.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 PM

Both an exhaust manifold leak and a spark plug wire arcing will make a ticking noise.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:43 PM

I was thinking it might be the exhaust manifold but the engine was hot at the time and now it's dark. And as for spark plug arching, i don't think so, it's not THAT loud or doesn't have that tinging noise that an arch does. It's just a ticking noise like someone is tapping metal against metal or knocking wood. and it happens in sequence like it would be the rocker arms or something. i just hope i don't have something broken or faulty that needs replacing....
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
It's an obvious ticking above the engine when you're just standing there looking at it, but when you put your head in front of the front tire on the passenger side, it gets even louder. I'll check the rocker arms, and i know how to set the zero lash without running it too so i'll do that. According to shoebox you just spin the pushrod with your fingers until you JUST START to feel it drag on the rocker arm, then tighten it another half a turn. I'll let you guys know.
Aweosme, I need to adjust mine. I'm going to try this method. It took several heat cycles to burn the oil off of my manifolds. Its was nearly undrivable with all the smoke!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Black1995Z
Aweosme, I need to adjust mine. I'm going to try this method. It took several heat cycles to burn the oil off of my manifolds. Its was nearly undrivable with all the smoke!
one reason why i'm going to do it with the engine off.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Just a reminder that when you set your lash that you need to have the valve/s closed on that cy i.e. the cam should be on the base circle.

Once you set it, you might as well run it to see if it quiets down with your adjustment and if it doesn't you might want to give it another 1/4-1/2 turn to see if that quiets down. JMHO
Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 PM

Run the car with the valve cover off and see if any of the rockers are making noise. If they all look to be moving smoothly and not dancing around, its probably an exhaust manifold leak.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:49 PM

My vote is for exhaust manifold leak too.. My passenger side exhaust manifold was cracked when I first bought my 94 z28 a couple years ago, which is probably pretty common, since the EGR crap is all on that side.. Turned out to be the best thing ever though, because the Jet-Hot long tubes solved the whole problem and made the car sound and drive soooo much better

But I wouldn't mess with the rockers if you hear the noise louder by the passenger front tire.. That definitely seems like that exahust manifold leaking..

Or, if you think it's more of a metal hitting metal sound, maybe you should check out your engine mounts, since they could be wore out, letting the engine move to new places..

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:59 PM

Pick up a cheap stethoscope at autozone or you can use a large screw driver (just make sure you put the "handle" to you ear and the pointy end on the valve cover.) I carry my steth with me so that I can check the rocker noise every so often. JMHO
Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 PM

I'm having the same problem, did you fix it?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
Both an exhaust manifold leak and a spark plug wire arcing will make a ticking noise.
Very true.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:16 AM

I am also experencing this problem with mine, although i thought it was an exaust leak. Im going to check this weekend if i get a chance.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:05 AM

yeah, i was about to ask about this also, i have the ticking sound when i rev the motor or i pull open the throttle body while under the hood, definitely coming from the valve cover, so im pretty sure it has to do with the valve train on that side.

ill have to check to make sure nothing is loose then.

does this affect engine life at all or is it just something that is annoying?

Quick Reply: Ticking/Knocking noise from passenger side of engine