LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Throwing P0172 Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Throwing P0172 Code

Hey guys,

About a month after I installed my FIPK I have been throwing this code intermittenly, which some of you may know as:

P0172:
Fuel trim system rich Bank 1

So, I was wondering what could be causing that. It seems to happen only on wet days and then after about a day of driving in dry weather it goes away...but about four days ago it threw the code again when it was completely dry, the only thing that was different with the engine was that I had let the temp run up to about 210 instead of keeping it below 185-190.

I've heard of faulty MAFs causing this condition that the computer picks up on...could it be that my MAF is getting wet from the weather? Any imput will help.

Thanks,

~Kevin

P.S.
Anything you guys want me to check I won't be able to until tomorrow...car is in the shop right now getting my SPEC installed.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Re: Throwing P0172 Code

Something is causing the drivers side of the fuel control system to pull out fuel, driving the average long term adjustment down below the -9.4%, and the normalized weighted value down below -13.3%. You need to check the long term fuel corrections on the passenger side as well, because they may also be cutting fuel, but not yet reaching the threshold value that sets the code (P0175) for the passenger side.

If you have a problem ONLY on the drivers side, it isn't likely to be the MAF. That would affect both banks of the engine. Same with excessive fuel pressure, leaking EGR, etc.

You need to determine if you have a problem that's affecting only the drivers side, or both sides.

Since the problem appeared when you installed the FIPK, is it possible you seriously over-oiled the filter, and its caused an oil buildup on the MAF.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:01 AM

When I got the FIPK the filter came pre-oiled, it didn't seem too much either, seemed like the normal amount I usually put on my drop-in filters.

Right now I don't have any diagnostic tools, I got the code pulled from Autozone. As soon as I have the money I will buy something to diagnose my car, what would you suggest? I was thinking of getting the cable for my laptop and then purchasing LT1_edit. Would that work?

Also until I buy this I guess I can't figure out whether it is only affecting the driver's side or both sides...so I guess when I do get these things I will get back to this post and give further information that can help you guys out.

Thanks Injuneer, as usual your posts are always helpful.

~Kevin
Old 01-11-2005, 10:09 AM

check your o2 sensor- i was throwing that code for a while then i started getting multiple cylinder misfires - then my o2 finally threw a code-

threw a new o2 sensor in and changed plugs and she ran perfect and got rid of the code -
Old 01-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Flmac02Z
Right now I don't have any diagnostic tools, I got the code pulled from Autozone. As soon as I have the money I will buy something to diagnose my car, what would you suggest? I was thinking of getting the cable for my laptop and then purchasing LT1_edit. Would that work?

~Kevin
No, you can not scan with the OBD-II version of LT1_Edit. It is only "programming" software, not a scanner. The OBD-I version of LT1_Edit comes bundled with pcmcomm, which is scanning software.

You need AutoTap.