LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

intake elbow

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:29 PM

intake elbow

this may sound really sutipd but does this intake elbow do anything besides jsut look better or does it really make some litle pre6formence gain
Old 01-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Re: intake elbow

What elbow? Either way the gains will be fractional, you'll just get rid of that hideous donkey dong and perhaps get a bit louder intake sound. Just a bit less interference with incoming air flow.

-Dustin-
Old 01-08-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by badasschevy625
this may sound really sutipd but does this intake elbow do anything besides jsut look better or does it really make some litle pre6formence gain
Can you rephrase the question?

(you must be referring to the 1LE)
Old 01-08-2005, 08:41 PM

If you are talking about the trickflow or vortech metal elbow, then you might actually lose some power. The reason being since it's metal it gets heat soaked and heats the incoming air. The warmer the air coming in, the less power you'll make.

If you're talking about the 1LE, it's pretty much the same as the stock elbow minus the donkey dong. A change in outside temperature will have more effect on power than putting one of these on. It's easier to just take out the donkey dong on your stocker.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:00 PM

can you tell me what in gods name the donkey dong is that you are talking about ? and yes i am referring to the 1le elbow
Old 01-09-2005, 02:43 PM

The donkey dong is the long resonance chamber that hangs off the stock elbow just in front of the throttle body. The 1LE elbow has a provision for it, but it's not punched through. If your stock elbow is in good shape and not torn, you can plug the hole where the donkey dong went with I believe a Pert shampoo bottle cap (the hole is oval), and wala, you now have a 1LE elbow!
Old 01-09-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLean
you can plug the hole where the donkey dong went with I believe a Pert shampoo bottle cap

GENIOUS!!!
is that how you have yours plugged?
i was actually tryin to think of ways how to do this.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:40 PM

The stock and 1LE elbows are prone to tearing when being installed on the TB. It's easy to fold the lower lip over while installing. A metal elbow, with a thick silicone coupler will stand up to many installations.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:59 PM

My Trick Flow elbow is great. It's metal, but it's ceramic coated. I have never noticed it becoming any more hot than the stock elbow. You won't be able to feel anything, but it could possibly add a fraction of hp, plus it looks sharp!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by AxeGrinder30thZ
My Trick Flow elbow is great. It's metal, but it's ceramic coated. I have never noticed it becoming any more hot than the stock elbow. You won't be able to feel anything, but it could possibly add a fraction of hp, plus it looks sharp!
I got the same one. I dont care if I lose or gain a little hp with, it looks COOL !! I also have ceramic coated headers and chrome valve covers. The ceramic elbow did the trick. Engine bay looks awesome. It didnt seem to hurt anything when I added this past summer, thats when I clicked off the time in my sig.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ninety3Z
GENIOUS!!!
is that how you have yours plugged?
i was actually tryin to think of ways how to do this.
Haven't done it myself, just heard it's possible as the Pert shampoo (or conditioner) has an oval top that's the right size for the hole. I guess you could just measure it then head on down to Walgreens or Longs and check out the hair products. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:43 AM

i used the bigger bottle of panteen...with the flip top lid...and a ton of glue/sealant/superglue/jb-weld.

then, on top of that, i used some aluminum tape on a well cleaned and sanded area of the inside to smooth the air. i dont really think it's necessary...but it was done
Old 01-10-2005, 04:13 AM

Sucks that my elbow was all torn up, I had to spring ~$60 for a new 1LE!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:14 AM

i would have paid another 20 for a trickflow/vortech unit.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Severous01
i used the bigger bottle of panteen...with the flip top lid...and a ton of glue/sealant/superglue/jb-weld.

then, on top of that, i used some aluminum tape on a well cleaned and sanded area of the inside to smooth the air. i dont really think it's necessary...but it was done
I would never, ever put tape or anything else in there that could get sucked into the engine. Some people have even had their Pert bottle caps sucked into the throttle blades, holding them wide open.

The silencer is more of an annoyance than doing any harm, IMO. I would just wait until the time has come when you need a new elbow and then get the one of your choice.

Quick Reply: intake elbow