LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Theft deterant and starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 08:22 PM

Theft deterant and starting problems.

I write this merely to provide some information that I had never seen here before.

I had just dropped my motor back in the car with a bunch of other upgrades including a FAST computer that involves about 50 spliced wires.

When I went to start the car I got no spark. Although I THOUGHT I smelt fuel, further investigation found no fuel pulse.

Of course I went through all the usual suspects. Wat a drag and never made any progress.

I happened to drop by my local GM dealership for some parts I needed and mentioned to a mechanic my problem. This guy is REALLY good and after some thought he suggested that I reset the theft deterant system.

He told me how to do that and sure enough it solved my problem.

Fully 24 hours later the penny dropped. A friend of mine had installed the starter motor and for some reason the battery was connected and he mistakenly touch wires and the starter turned over and turned over the car.

This was just the long block installed. Not even the intake was on.

In hindsight THAT is what set off the theft deterant feature as the key with the chip was NOT in the ignition but the motor was cranked over.

So there you go guys. Read this and remember it as MAYBE it might help you one day

NOTE: To reset the theft deterant I was told that one of the TWO following processes worked.

Turn the key to the CRANK position, meaning, try and start the car. Then leave the key "ON" for 30 mins. -- put the battery on a charger by-the-by.

The second way is to do the same thing as above except do it three times but for 10 mins each, waiting 20 seconds between turning the key OFF and back ON again.

Hope it helps someone one day.