Old 06-09-2004, 01:03 AM

Ken/Bret,

Are you keeping the stock hood?

What kind of TB are you using?

Ryan
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by SStrokerAce
Moss,

The LT1 intake lacks in what is called intake pulse tuning in the RPM range we run them in. Intake pusle tuning is basically physics at work making fake boost at certain RPM and cramming more air/fuel into the cylinder therefore making more power. You can see up to 5-7psi extra so in essence it's like a blower. If you ever wonder why a 500cu in Pro Stock motor makes 1350hp on gas and carbs with no extra help it's because they make very good use of this "faux boost". In fact F1, MotoGP, NASCAR motors which all have very high Volumetric Efficiency use this intake pulse tuining to their advantage. For a definition of Vol Eff go here http://www.auto-ware.com/combust_bytes/eng_sci.htm

Here is some more stuff on VE http://www.epi-eng.com/ET-VolEff.htm

A quote from that is what we are tring to shoot for here:
"For contemporary naturally-aspirated, two-valve-per-cylinder, pushrod engine technology, a VE over 95% is excellent, and 100% is achievable, but quite difficult. Only the best of the best can exceed 110%, and that is by means of extremely specialized development of the complex system comprised of the intake passages, combustion chambers, exhaust passages and valve system components."

This is how a Nextel Cup motor with 358cubes and a flat tappet cam can make more TQ than most 383 LT1's. 540ft lbs and they are tring to build HP with those motors. On top of that they are restricted to certain intake sizes due to rules on the intake manifold castings they can use.

Bret
Maybe its just cause its late or that I didnt read that closely, but are you saying this intake will basically make boost? How would this work with a stock internal LT1?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 96speed
Ken/Bret,

What kind of TB are you using?

Ryan
Yes you can use a stock hood, but he is getting a WS6 hood.

His TB is a AS&M Monoblade, but any 58mm would work great.

Bret
Old 06-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SS Mark
Maybe its just cause its late or that I didnt read that closely, but are you saying this intake will basically make boost? How would this work with a stock internal LT1?
The best way to explain this is in some old advanced tech posts on Intake Pulse Tuning.

What happens is that the intake runners act like a organ pipe in essence. They tune for a certain frequency, and with that cause a pressure wave that if you put a gauge on the intake/head port would show a increase in port pressure much higher than atmosphereic pressure, akin to what a blower would put out. That's why I call it "faux boost" it's not really a blower at all, it's just doing the job of a well tuned intake manifold much much better than the LT1 version can do. Because we allow the motor to make much higher VE's than the stock intake does.

You can still run more compression etc.... just like any NA motor, so don't be worried about that, this "faux boost" is happening in your motor now, but at a higher RPM and at lower pressures, we are just increasing that to make more power. What's wrong with that?

That help?

Basically it's like if you had a extra 50hp, so however the stock bottom handles that. It's RPM that kills motors not HP.

Bret
Old 06-09-2004, 02:11 AM

So basically, if I don't build a custom intake for my car, the best that I can do with my lt-1 intake is port match it, and go. Is this a restriction? I want to make around 400+ rwhp n/a. If there is some easy horsepower in the intake, I'll try and get it. I skipped that part during the first build, but not this one.

I've already port matched it to the heads.

I can build an aluminum intake, I have the fab stuff, so if there is a thread somewhere on the best way or blueprinted directions on how to make one, let me know.

D Moss
Old 06-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by dmoss69
I can build an aluminum intake, I have the fab stuff, so if there is a thread somewhere on the best way or blueprinted directions on how to make one, let me know.

D Moss
This thread comes to mind-
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=205408
Old 06-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by 96speed
Ken/Bret,
Ryan
Like Bret said, it should be fine with a stock hood from everything we have looked at and measured... but I wanted to straighten and shorten the intake track as much as possible so I bought a ws6 hood and intake.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 AM

Is there any benefit from this for a forced induction motor?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Birdie2000
Subscribing...
Old 06-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by Birdie2000
From the other thread:
the FI setup cares about flow, it does not care about intake pluse tuning, it can't because any of the faux boost created by making the intake runner lengths the correct length and correct area is negated since they are opperating in a higher than atmosphere environment. A good intake tuning pulse can be up in the 5-7psi range but a FI setup is going to be above that most likely. That's my point. That's why if someone wanted one for a FI car I would steer them away from it because I don't think it's worth the money for them when a LT1 style intake could be set up properly instead for about 1/2 the money.

Both flow and plenum volume can be beneficial to a boosted setup but the runner length and size is almost negligible.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:52 AM

Ok, I must have missed the original thread on this thing.

Is this a modded LT1 intake or is this a custom fabbed piece???

Is it supposed to be a "bolt on" in the essence of bolting the intake to the heads???

Do you have any estimations on what this intake will do to a powerband, area under the curve, and top end???
Old 06-09-2004, 10:59 AM

The best way to explain this is in some old advanced tech posts on Intake Pulse Tuning.

What happens is that the intake runners act like a organ pipe in essence. They tune for a certain frequency, and with that cause a pressure wave that if you put a gauge on the intake/head port would show a increase in port pressure much higher than atmosphereic pressure, akin to what a blower would put out. That's why I call it "faux boost" it's not really a blower at all, it's just doing the job of a well tuned intake manifold much much better than the LT1 version can do. Because we allow the motor to make much higher VE's than the stock intake does.

You can still run more compression etc.... just like any NA motor, so don't be worried about that, this "faux boost" is happening in your motor now, but at a higher RPM and at lower pressures, we are just increasing that to make more power. What's wrong with that?

That help?

Basically it's like if you had a extra 50hp, so however the stock bottom handles that. It's RPM that kills motors not HP.

Bret
Not a thing wrong with that, if it works I would be up to buying one. I meant more how would it work with the stock heads/cam however.

Last edited by SS Mark; 06-09-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Ok, I must have missed the original thread on this thing.

Is it supposed to be a "bolt on" in the essence of bolting the intake to the heads???

Do you have any estimations on what this intake will do to a powerband, area under the curve, and top end???
No, it is not an LT1 or LT4 Intake. I'll let Bret answer your questions though.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Banned

IT does start off with a casting but not a LT1/4 casting.

Yes

I do have some ideas and that's the reason I am going thru all of this to get it done because I feel that it is really worth it. However I always feel that like JPE understate what you think it will do and then blow people away with the numbers. The point of this new intake is to get improvements from low in the RPM band to 7,000. With big gains in TQ and HP.

Bret
Old 06-09-2004, 12:22 PM

Bret, I emailed you twice this morning. Hit me back.

Quick Reply: SStrokerAce, update on LT1 intake?