LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Something weird just happened....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:10 PM

Something weird just happened....

Went to lunch about 2-3 miles down the highway. Went in ordered my food and about 10 minutes later I head back out to the car. Put the key in and it starts right up like normal. Throw it in reverse and it dies. Tried to start it right back up and it fired for half a second.... RPMs never got over 700 and it sputtered and died. Tried again and it just turned but never started up. Waited about 2-3 minutes and tried again and it did the same thing. Started for just a second then sputtered and died. I thought it had to be the fuel so I got out of the car and turned off the radio. Turn the key to run and listened for the pump to prime.... heard nothing. Since I purchased the car I havent been able to hear the pump prime. Probably on its way out i'm thinking. So I go back into the place and make a phone call to the wife to come get me so I can go back to work. (work out tow truck later) I wait about 15 minutes... go back outside to lift the hood... maybe its something I can see. I get in the car to pull the hood prop and said screw it... let me try to start this thing. Cranks right up like nothing ever happened. I drove right to the gas station and filled up. Car was between E and 1/4 tank. I let it run the whole time I was filling it. Anyone think it could be something other than the fuel pump? Car has 98k on the clock. Has been getting pretty bad mileage.... 18 on the highway and about 12 in the city. Only thing I can think of is fuel.....
Old 10-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Re: Something weird just happened....

My 97 did that to me and the inake elbow was torn a little. I got a maf code, but all I did was fix the elbow and no more code.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 PM

Unfortunately I didnt get a code from my car.... just didnt start. I'm beginning to think this thing is cursed.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 PM

I suppose i'll check the fuel pressure and post up. Maybe someone will have an idea. Should the fuel pump be very audible? I always thought it should.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 PM

gas cap?

could be a weak fuel pump
Old 10-23-2006, 07:52 PM

Gas cap looks original.... no issues up until now but I will replace it to be certain. Might as well get a new fuel pump too. It's had enough.... 100k miles almost.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:08 PM

i might be able to help ya look at it...but id guess fuel pump...or vac leak
Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Ya if you got a minute or two on Friday or Saturday i'd appreciate it. Got a fuel pressure gauge by chance?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 AM

Ok it started its crap again.... on the way home im cruising along. 12 or so miles later im taking an exit and coming to a light to get onto the next highway and the car starts to cut out and sputter again. I pull over and wait about 10 minutes and it starts but is running really rough. Get about 2 blocks and it dies. I pull into the gas station and call a tow truck. So after about half an hour I get in the car and decide to give it a try. Starts right up and full power. Haul butt on the highway to get home as im about 3 miles away. Car cuts out on my exit so I wait again and basically limp it home. Seems to be heat related?! If this thing has good fuel pressure im assuming ICM, coil, or opti.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:23 AM

sounds like pump to me see what the pressure is let us know what you find
Old 10-24-2006, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

That's that GM quality for you. It could be a number of things honestly. Just don't throw money at it. Besides not hearing the pump what makes you think it's the pump? Do you have problems accelerating etc? You can always get a loan tool fuel Pressure gauge from autozone to check pressure.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 AM

my fuel pump did the same thing....do yourself a favor and change the pump and keep the car near home so you dont have to pay the tow fees.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:40 AM

I think you answered your own question. It seriously looks like the fuel pump.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 AM

Most likely the fuel pump... mine started doing the same crap back when I had the stocker. Wouldn't start.. let it sit for a while, would fire right up.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
sounds like pump to me see what the pressure is let us know what you find
I'm going to jack with it on Friday or Saturday.... I hate doing fuel pumps. LOL

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
That's that GM quality for you. It could be a number of things honestly. Just don't throw money at it. Besides not hearing the pump what makes you think it's the pump? Do you have problems accelerating etc? You can always get a loan tool fuel Pressure gauge from autozone to check pressure.
I think it's the pump as when I do get it started it spit and sputters. There is a slight hesitation and pop when it gets moving... kind of like running out of gas.

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
my fuel pump did the same thing....do yourself a favor and change the pump and keep the car near home so you dont have to pay the tow fees.
What pump did you use? I think I am going to get the racetronix. While i'm at it i'll go ahead and get the Accell opti.

Originally Posted by chrism400
I think you answered your own question. It seriously looks like the fuel pump.
Dont you hate it.... fuel pump dies and I JUST filled the tank. LOL

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Most likely the fuel pump... mine started doing the same crap back when I had the stocker. Wouldn't start.. let it sit for a while, would fire right up.
This is the first Camaro that has actually broke down on me.... kind of surreal. I've had 4 LT1 f-bods and this is the one to kick me in the nuts. haha

Quick Reply: Something weird just happened....