LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Searched and could not find a definitive answer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Question Searched and could not find a definitive answer.

Finishing up my 383 install, actually would have been done earlier this week but my local performance shop was so busy with the Gator Nationals last week that they forgot to order my plug wires which is all I am really waiting on. Anyways on to my question.

I have a March under drive crank pulley and matching alternator pulley to maintain as close to stock charging as possible. I am thinking about ordering an ATI Damper, 917071, to replace my stock damper and I just wanted to make sure that all I have to do is exactly that. Just bolt the ATI Damper to my under drive pulley just as my stock damper is now. I'm pretty sure this is all I have to do but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Buy the smaller diameter ATI damper then throw the UD pulley away.

With a 383 you probably have a larger cam and higher idle so the OD alternator pulley should be unnecessary. The higher idle should bring alternator rpms up near stock despite the UD damper.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

The ATI comes with a new crank hub, and it doesn't have the same bolt pattern as the stock damper. You can't use the U/D pulley. Question really is, why would you want to? Very little HP to be gained, and by speeding the alternator back up, you've already given back some of the limited HP savings. The WS6.com U/D pulley dyno test netted a peak HP gain of 0.7HP, with a 4.4 avg HP gain. But that's with a stock alternator pulley.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 AM

The part number I gave comes with no hub, and I would use the UD pulley because I have it kinda thing.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 AM

The ATI damper you bought is a light weight UNDERDRIVE.
What sort of complete lack of comprehension would cause you to add weight by putting a second underdrive on under it?

You obviously make absolutely no attempt at understanding what you are trying to do, very poor strategy.

Would be really good to look into what Injuneer is saying about hub bolt pattern too.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

You may not understand what you bought. The part number is for "shell assembly less hub". That doesn't mean it fits your stock hub. It means you need to select either the steel or aluminum ATI hub to goes with it. But they only offer the aluminum hub for that model.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...ts/damserp.htm

Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The ATI damper you bought is a light weight UNDERDRIVE.
What sort of complete lack of comprehension would cause you to add weight by putting a second underdrive on under it?

You obviously make absolutely no attempt at understanding what you are trying to do, very poor strategy.

Would be really good to look into what Injuneer is saying about hub bolt pattern too.

Any post I have ever seen you make is nothing but slander so you can just stay out of my thread.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You may not understand what you bought. The part number is for "shell assembly less hub". That doesn't mean it fits your stock hub. It means you need to select either the steel or aluminum ATI hub to goes with it. But they only offer the aluminum hub for that model.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...ts/damserp.htm

I have not purchased this yet because like I said in my earlier post I was not sure if what I thought was correct or not.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Back off.... both of you, or this thread gets closed.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:27 PM

So I guess let me clear this up a little bit for my self.

When you put a crank underdrive pulley on your car you bolt your stock damper to the front of the pulley to keep everything "balanced." I want to put an ATI Damper on my car, didn't know the part number I posted was an underdrive damper but that shouldn't matter because underdriven or not it still serves the same purpose. But you can not use the stock hub with the ATI damper? Is this correct? So basically I would be better off buying a full damper and hub assembly, rather than the shell and then buying a hub?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:34 PM

What you bought is a full damper and is an underdrive and according to the picture Fred posted wont fit the stock hub so you need to get a hub too.

You are more worried about being offended than being helped. Listen you have two people trying to help you IF you are willing to be helped.

Telling you you have no comprehension is NOT slander it is an accurate statment of an obvious fact, you have to see it yourself before you can fix this problem and get the right parts.

The sooner you accept your mistake the sooner you can get the right stuff ordered and enjoy the new mill.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 PM

I guess you didn't see that I have not purchased this because I was not sure about it.... so yeah... try again.

Thanks for your help.