LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

same amount of money on civic and LT1, which one is faster

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:36 PM

There is no substitution for cubic inches!
Kenneth
Old 04-16-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Sunray
There is no substitution for cubic inches!
Kenneth
I agree to a certain extent... but the "substitution" is called "boost" or if you prefer... nitrous. Both are good at packing the cylinder with more oxygen than can be induced "normally".

-Mindgame
Old 04-17-2003, 10:20 AM

hmm, many comments, few with actually thinking involved.

In my town of Roanoke VA, a guy named nathan kidd sold his 98 cobra (pretty respectable cobra to) for a 96 civic hatchback. he upgraded his cam, added a turbo, nitrous shot, and some other internal engine parts. He told me he spent less then $6k but he did most of the work himself (and he wasn't that smart when it came to imports, just did the right research). Now take my car, I run 9.1s & 9.2s (1/8th mile times) consistantly. He didn't have the nitrous bottle in his car but we ran from a dead stop. I pulled him by like 1-1/2 cars and I was starting to laugh. By the time I thought I was winning, he went by me like he had a running start. I'd honestly say he could run about 3-4 cars faster then me in the 1/8th mile.

I saw a 99 civic SI around town for a great price. It was red, full greddy exhaust, lowered, 20k miles, and mint paint job (factory that is, perfect). They guy wanted 13,500. Since I get good deals on all types of parts for Fbodies and other applications, I almost sold the Z to him and got the Si.

just my response to a few points already made...
"honda engines aren't built for turbo's or nitrous" You are somewhat correct, but the guy wants to spend $10k on a car. Do you think he gives a flying **** how long it will last stock? He is building an engine for speed, not any other reason.

Displacement is a huge part of faster ETs. But weight is a huge factor also. Take a vehicle that weighs 3000 lbs w/300 HP vs a 2000 lb car w/200 HP. If you look it by #'s, its the same car.

Personally, I think a V8 is better with chargers whereas most imports use nitrous b/c its the best means of HP (per $$$). Most of you slam imports for using it but hello stupid, you pay less for nitrous then anything else. BOTTOM LINE, NITROUS MAKES HP even if YOU DON'T like it. Isn't the WHOLE name of the name to make HP and be the 1st one across the line? Then why knock someone using nitrous?

hahaha I think I might get the Si and spend about $3000 and stomp some of ya V8 owners. Last I checked, NHRA has a 4 cyl class to.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:41 AM

White Z 4 Show, the whole point of this is upgrades, you say he spend $6K on his car to beat your stock but the CAI Z, you spend $6K on your engine and you can beat his aZZ again by 2-3 cars, same money the LT1 will be faster hands down.

If I had it, I would offer up the money to see the 2 cars both with $10000 and see who wins, my money would be safe betting on the LT1.

Not hating here but the only Upgrade in your sig is a CAI, and you count the Altezza as an upgrade, do us a favor and sell your Z get you a civic and let the inner ricer come out of the closet.

The only way a civic gets a better 1/4 time is when you drop it off a cliff.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Banned

Lets compare

Building platforms

Camaro

RWD
4.5x the displacement
cheaper parts
Easy to do gear swaps
Posi with solid rear axel
Basically designed for the strip
Civic

FWD
1.3L
More expensive parts
Almost impossible to do gear swaps
Almost impossible to get locking front diff
Basically disigned AGAINST strait line performance

on top of it, the camaro is already starting out with a FULL 3 SECOND HEADSTART, not to mention it is INCREDIBLY choked up and will respond to mods 5x better than that car

Not to mention 95% of speed shops out there are VERY familiar with a small block chevy. How many know anything about V-tec? Or care for that matter. Everything has been done over and over again. The few ricer shops there are are mostly stickers, guages, wings and GFX.

What the hell kind of stupid *** question is this? The only advantage the civic has is wieght, and honestly, weight isn't that big of a deal int he 1320.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by BackInBlackZ28
When i read this post i was disgusted. Anyone who has been to a real track and seen the ricers come out of the woodwork knows that this is a joke. I could beat a civic with my trans stuck in first and my parking brake on. adding about 7 g's to the civic MIGHT make it as fast *** my car now. What i would do is essentially spend 9500 on my car for fun, run low 11's or high 10's against the civic. Then, with the 500 left over, i would by an old Blazer K5, and run over the civic so that it can never be "raced" again. Just a few angry thoughts....
way to dig up a 6 month old post
Old 04-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by White Z 4 Show
hmm, many comments, few with actually thinking involved.

In my town of Roanoke VA, a guy named nathan kidd sold his 98 cobra (pretty respectable cobra to) for a 96 civic hatchback. he upgraded his cam, added a turbo, nitrous shot, and some other internal engine parts. He told me he spent less then $6k but he did most of the work himself (and he wasn't that smart when it came to imports, just did the right research). Now take my car, I run 9.1s & 9.2s (1/8th mile times) consistantly. He didn't have the nitrous bottle in his car but we ran from a dead stop. I pulled him by like 1-1/2 cars and I was starting to laugh. By the time I thought I was winning, he went by me like he had a running start. I'd honestly say he could run about 3-4 cars faster then me in the 1/8th mile.

I saw a 99 civic SI around town for a great price. It was red, full greddy exhaust, lowered, 20k miles, and mint paint job (factory that is, perfect). They guy wanted 13,500. Since I get good deals on all types of parts for Fbodies and other applications, I almost sold the Z to him and got the Si.

just my response to a few points already made...
"honda engines aren't built for turbo's or nitrous" You are somewhat correct, but the guy wants to spend $10k on a car. Do you think he gives a flying **** how long it will last stock? He is building an engine for speed, not any other reason.

Displacement is a huge part of faster ETs. But weight is a huge factor also. Take a vehicle that weighs 3000 lbs w/300 HP vs a 2000 lb car w/200 HP. If you look it by #'s, its the same car.

Personally, I think a V8 is better with chargers whereas most imports use nitrous b/c its the best means of HP (per $$$). Most of you slam imports for using it but hello stupid, you pay less for nitrous then anything else. BOTTOM LINE, NITROUS MAKES HP even if YOU DON'T like it. Isn't the WHOLE name of the name to make HP and be the 1st one across the line? Then why knock someone using nitrous?

hahaha I think I might get the Si and spend about $3000 and stomp some of ya V8 owners. Last I checked, NHRA has a 4 cyl class to.
please, no more talking. its quiet time for you

Displacement produces torque, something 4 bangers dont have.
And incase you missed reality- it just passed over your head. Your acceleration is defined by your torque curve, not your peak hp. to say a 3000lb V8 car is = to 200hp V8 car is beyond dumb. Why is that the Civic SI gets ROMPED by an LT1 then stock for stock?

275hp and 3600lbs
200hp and whatever it weighs.

Rich Krause has a 4000 lb car that i'm sure would not follow your rule.

You are also missing traction issues.
FWD CAN NOT HOOK. Pick up an import mag. 9.77 @ 164mph. They make supras look like AWD vehicles.

I have under $16,000 worth of parts and labor installed in my car RIGHT NOW INCLUDING audio, appearance and maininance (brakes, rotors gasket leaks), taxes, shipping, wrong parts, machine work, AND THE COST OF THE CAR ITSELF etc. STock heads, never even been on a dyno.

Go buy you $13,000 SI, pay the tax, get your Nitrous and come down to the street or strip with me. Bring your title.

Why in God's name you would sell a fast car designed to go fast to buy a slower car that barely even responds to mods that was not designed to go fast is beyond me.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:46 AM

This is a joke right?

Chezfrog is the fastest Civic I've seen, he was making about 540HP, and the car was probably stripped. Besides the fact that he just blew up his engine, keep in mind a front wheel drive car with power wont hook worth a damn until you get off the gas, or are at speed already. Bad choice for a drag platform.

Stick with something that has cubes, thats how you go fast. This is the same reason that alot of 240Z guys go with a V8, it takes some work to make a turbo car as powerfull, the powerband wont be the same, and there is always more headroom with a V8 - turbo a V8 and you have much more potential than a 1.6L engine.

If you are willing to do some work, and want to save dough, you could throw a V8 in a 240 (2200 pounds about) and be fast right off the bat. Cage strongly advised, its a unibody. 240Z with a stock LS1/T56 just ran a 12.07@118 recently, these guys get 10s easily, low 10s. There is at least one person running 9s on a stock R200 rear.

Last edited by Dr.Mudge; 04-17-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr.Mudge
This is a joke right?

Chezfrog is the fastest Civic I've seen, he was making about 540HP, and the car was probably stripped. Besides the fact that he just blew up his engine, keep in mind a front wheel drive car with power wont hook worth a damn until you get off the gas, or are at speed already. Bad choice for a drag platform.

Stick with something that has cubes, thats how you go fast. This is the same reason that alot of 240Z guys go with a V8, it takes some work to make a turbo car as powerfull, the powerband wont be the same, and there is always more headroom with a V8 - turbo a V8 and you have much more potential than a 1.6L engine.

If you are willing to do some work, and want to save dough, you could throw a V8 in a 240 (2200 pounds about) and be fast right off the bat. Cage strongly advised, its a unibody. 240Z with a stock LS1/T56 just ran a 12.07@118 recently, these guys get 10s easily, low 10s. There is at least one person running 9s on a stock R200 rear.

or u can get a TT v10 and own everyone
Old 04-17-2003, 11:55 AM

Sure you can make a civic faster than a LT1 but you can make a LT1 wayyy faster & more reliable than a civic. Look at it this way.
Civic + exhast + shifter + NAAWWS + Turbo kit = low 12's high 11's and the motor won't last long. How much do you have left? $2500 give or take a few. Put that into a rebuild that won't break and you have a low 12 high 11 1/4 mile car.

Now take the LT1, pull the motor, build a fully forged 383 with low compression. Add a D1 or vortec T-trim and run 10's on street tires. The choice is utimately up to you but why not go faster, more reliable AND have a better sounding car. I dunno, but the choice is easy in my mind.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
or u can get a TT v10 and own everyone
BBC is easier, V10 wont be cheap to obtain either. There is a Jag V12 240Z, and its not only heavy, but those V12s suck. He makes about 450 HP and weighs discustingly more than any other 240, without a water bed in the thing I have no idea how he gained so much weight. At least he put a T56 in there though, yay.

BBC, throw a solid axle in there, maybe toss some nitrous on there, run 9s easily. Now you can go get your NHRA license. I'd rather stick SBC though, LT1 would give you the FI "advantage" and be cheap to throw in, make about 500HP off it and run some deep 10s with hookup, dont have to swap the rear for that. Or if you want dirt cheap, pickup a 5.0 or L98, not my flavor of choice but the L98s run easy high 12s. My own car with the stock 82 Turbo engine is worth a high 13/low 14, AC and PS has of course been removed, and my car is much lighter than the car it came off of. 2.8L and 7psi boost off a T3, 29MPG. It wont be stock for long, but I plan to make power in increments of 50# or so, it'll be awhile before I see over 400 HP or TQ.

240Z with some mods $1500
82 Turbo car 70k miles $150 (rear main looks new)
Engine hoist $24/day, 1 day to swap

Last edited by Dr.Mudge; 04-17-2003 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by hsyr
Sure you can make a civic faster than a LT1 but you can make a LT1 wayyy faster & more reliable than a civic. Look at it this way.
Civic + exhast + shifter + NAAWWS + Turbo kit = low 12's high 11's and the motor won't last long. How much do you have left? $2500 give or take a few. Put that into a rebuild that won't break and you have a low 12 high 11 1/4 mile car.

I'd say it would run 13's mayb high 12's. I got a buddy that did an motor swap in an 2 door HX (suppose to be the lightest civic) and on the bottle he clicked off a 14.7 @ 95-97. I don't think the turbo would help enough to take it to the low 12's and if it did I would be supprised if he could drive the car home after a few passes.

White anything can happen on the street when cough bad driving cough is involved.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:47 PM

LT1>Civic Si, Simple as that
Old 04-17-2003, 01:48 PM

13.9 @ 100 MPH stock '97 Formula

However, I think that $10,000 into a Foxbody Mustang will beat both an LT1 F-body and a Civic
Old 04-17-2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by 93Z286Speed
LT1>Civic Si, Simple as that
no ****...........whoever was even considering a civic needs to go get their head checked, because it looks like they have dog sh*t for brains.

$10g on an LT1 gives you reliable, daily driven, full interior pump gas 10sec car.

not gonna happen on a ricemobile.

Quick Reply: same amount of money on civic and LT1, which one is faster