LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Removing EVAP canister and solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Removing EVAP canister and solenoid?

Is it possible to remove the evap canister and the EVAP solenoid? This is on a race car where emissions are not important.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Re: Removing EVAP canister and solenoid?

You can remove anything. You'll get a code for the missing EVAP solenoid, and for the vacuum detector switch. Cap the vacuum nipple on the side of the throttle body. Remove everything back to and including the charcoal canister. Leave the vent line from the tank/pressure relief valve and put a cloth filter over it so dirt won't get sucked back in as the fuel cools down and the pressure drops. I'd program out the codes and program out the EVAP flow, since it can try and operate the system at WOT.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You can remove anything. You'll get a code for the missing EVAP solenoid, and for the vacuum detector switch. Cap the vacuum nipple on the side of the throttle body. Remove everything back to and including the charcoal canister. Leave the vent line from the tank/pressure relief valve and put a cloth filter over it so dirt won't get sucked back in as the fuel cools down and the pressure drops. I'd program out the codes and program out the EVAP flow, since it can try and operate the system at WOT.
I did this over the winter just as described above. A issue I was concerned about though (because my car is still in storage and I havn't had a chance to drive it yet) is rather or not when you fill the tank, can gas potentially come out the vent line that I placed the filter over? What is it that keeps fuel from making its way from in the tank to out of that hose?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:44 PM

I am not really worried about SES lights....eventually I will have all after market gauges anyway.

Thanks for the help.

James
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 PM

I just disconnected all of the hard plastic tubing from underneath the car because Im upgrading the fuel lines, now what do I do with the vent tube from the EVAP cansiter? Cap it off or?

-B
Old 04-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator

You need a vent from the fuel tank. The stock cap is "unvented". By leaving the vent line from the tank, through the pressure relief valve, to the rear fender liner, and simply putting a filter of some sort on the end of the hose, you have "vented" the tank.

If you keep the canister, and want to know what to do with the nipple that the line to the EVAP solenoid was attached to, that nipple becomes an additional tank vent, and I would just put a cloth sock over it so nothing can get into it, pr cap it off.

Can fuel come out of the vent..... sure... if you completely overfill then tank to the point where its up to the top of the tank. But most race applications you wouldn't put more than 5 gallons in the tank.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:33 AM

You need a vent from the fuel tank. The stock cap is "unvented". By leaving the vent line from the tank, through the pressure relief valve, to the rear fender liner, and simply putting a filter of some sort on the end of the hose, you have "vented" the tank.

If you keep the canister, and want to know what to do with the nipple that the line to the EVAP solenoid was attached to, that nipple becomes an additional tank vent, and I would just put a cloth sock over it so nothing can get into it, pr cap it off.

Can fuel come out of the vent..... sure... if you completely overfill then tank to the point where its up to the top of the tank. But most race applications you wouldn't put more than 5 gallons in the tank.

Thanks Fred! I'm a little confused.. is there a diagram? I disconnected the line that is in the fuel line bundle thats underneath the driver's side door and that line goes to the back of the car. Im wondering what do I with it. Hopefully that clairifies things.

-B
Old 04-11-2006, 05:29 PM

ttt for fred to see!

-B