LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

quick question about ebay air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM

quick question about ebay air intake

Just wondering if anybody sees any problems with this short ram air intake setup i found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...7158QQtcZphoto
Old 12-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Re: quick question about ebay air intake

The difference between that intake and most of the commercially made ones is just the location. That intake will leave the filter sitting up in the engine compartment, while the commercial ones usually relocate it all the way down into the "air box". The commercial intakes also usually include a block off plate.

Probably no difference in actual performance though :P
Old 12-22-2005, 04:39 PM

I've got the same thing on my car (also purchased on ebay). It adds good power but you get what you pay for. When mine arrived the air filter was bained up and the air intake tube wasn't perfectly round (the tube was also filled with shavings from when it was cut, so make sure you clean it thoroughly). Something I also noticed is that with the screen at the end of the filter is basically where all of the air gets sucked through. This is because the filter is so restrictive and the screen doesn't catch a whole lot. So, if you do choose to go with that kit I highly recommend you don't use the provided filter otherwise you may get debris in your engine.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM

thanks for the info, there is another kit that uses a k & n for around 35$ so i will go with that instead
Old 12-22-2005, 05:27 PM

yeah $35 plus how much shipping?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:16 PM

Those filters are total crap. Get a real K&N filter or stick with your stock air box and a FRAM filter. I got shavings in my motor 6 months after installing one of those cheap filters. the tube looks ok.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:10 PM

There are other kits on ebay which include that pipe + a peice of straight pipe which will put the filter inside the fender well (where you want it), and it comes w/ a k&n cone for like $100.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mourningyou
The difference between that intake and most of the commercially made ones is just the location. That intake will leave the filter sitting up in the engine compartment, while the commercial ones usually relocate it all the way down into the "air box". The commercial intakes also usually include a block off plate.

Probably no difference in actual performance though :P
There is a noticable difference, the air inside the fender well is much colder especailly w/ the block off plate. What the point of a Cold AIR Intake if it gets hot air from the engine bay?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:14 AM

Just for ****s and giggles, I ordered a similar CAI for my Expedition a few months ago. It was ~$15.00 plus ~$30.00 shipping.

Well... You definetely get what you pay for. Even though the box had a label that it is for "97-02 5.4L F150/Expedition", there was no way in hell that thing would even remotely be suitable for that application.

The seller stated in the description that "professional installation is recommended" and "we do not provide any service", so when I sent them the pics trying to installa it, they just said "too bad, get professional help, no refund" etc.

Filed a complaint with Paypal and after a few weeks got all my money back. I was out of shipping it back to them, though.

All in all: don't expect much. :blah: I'd suggest saving a few more bucks and getting a "real" CAI (K&N, Moroso, GMPP etc.) instead. You'll be much happier if you did.

Sorry for the long rambling...

TS
Old 12-23-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 95GRNZ
Just for ****s and giggles, I ordered a similar CAI for my Expedition a few months ago. It was ~$15.00 plus ~$30.00 shipping.

Well... You definetely get what you pay for. Even though the box had a label that it is for "97-02 5.4L F150/Expedition", there was no way in hell that thing would even remotely be suitable for that application.

The seller stated in the description that "professional installation is recommended" and "we do not provide any service", so when I sent them the pics trying to installa it, they just said "too bad, get professional help, no refund" etc.

Filed a complaint with Paypal and after a few weeks got all my money back. I was out of shipping it back to them, though.

All in all: don't expect much. :blah: I'd suggest saving a few more bucks and getting a "real" CAI (K&N, Moroso, GMPP etc.) instead. You'll be much happier if you did.

Sorry for the long rambling...

TS
on ebay you can tell by just looking at the pic if it will work w/ an lt1.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:17 AM

The "stage 2" intake has pics of it installed on an F-Body. It has the second tube dropping it out of the engine bay.

Pretty simple device since it just makes one turn and then goes down into the fender.

I would make sure you get the one with the K&N Filter.