LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Quick cam question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 AM

Quick cam question

im goin to get a cam soon and i want something aggressive as hell...my car is basically a weekend cruiser with the occasional drag visit and a few street races...gas i really couldnt care less about and im basically not caring about emissions anymore either...i know the the cc306 is great and the gm847 but what would be the best bang for my buck...also i really wouldnt want to do my heads but i could go for the LE2 i think.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by TBSPW
im goin to get a cam soon and i want something aggressive as hell...my car is basically a weekend cruiser with the occasional drag visit and a few street races...gas i really couldnt care less about and im basically not caring about emissions anymore either...i know the the cc306 is great and the gm847 but what would be the best bang for my buck...also i really wouldnt want to do my heads but i could go for the LE2 i think.
If you just want it for "sound". And do not care about drivability, gas, or anything for that matter go as big as you like. But remember, if you buy a huge cam that requires 7000 rpms, then you just wasted cash. The stock bottom end can only take so many rpm's. Keep this in mind. Your max I would go is a gm847, and I would not put that in my car if it was stock. Others have done it though.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
If you just want it for "sound". And do not care about drivability, gas, or anything for that matter go as big as you like. But remember, if you buy a huge cam that requires 7000 rpms, then you just wasted cash. The stock bottom end can only take so many rpm's. Keep this in mind. Your max I would go is a gm847, and I would not put that in my car if it was stock. Others have done it though.
ANY CAM will work on stock bottom end! BUT it will only meet its full potential with the correct supporting mods!

I have a stock bottom end with a GM847 and it is very streetable drives just fine. But I decided on that cam because I was envisioning where I wanted the Camaro to end up performance wise. EX: I would rather buy a gm847 now than have a hotcam because if I had the hot cam I would have to buy another cam further down the road as my engines performance progressed, and THAT WOULD BE WASTED CASH. So you need to decide your end goal and slowly work towards it. Keep in mind you can't just skip steps. If you are going to go with a big cam now (stock bottom end or not) you have to build the rest of the valvetrain to support it. EX: you cant run stock valve springs and pushrods on an 847.

So in the end it all comes down to what you have planned for your car and then you continue to build it to that point.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MadMike 97 Z28
ANY CAM will work on stock bottom end! BUT it will only meet its full potential with the correct supporting mods!

I have a stock bottom end with a GM847 and it is very streetable drives just fine. But I decided on that cam because I was envisioning where I wanted the Camaro to end up performance wise. EX: I would rather buy a gm847 now than have a hotcam because if I had the hot cam I would have to buy another cam further down the road as my engines performance progressed, and THAT WOULD BE WASTED CASH. So you need to decide your end goal and slowly work towards it. Keep in mind you can't just skip steps. If you are going to go with a big cam now (stock bottom end or not) you have to build the rest of the valvetrain to support it. EX: you cant run stock valve springs and pushrods on an 847.

So in the end it all comes down to what you have planned for your car and then you continue to build it to that point.
Well, from what he has told us, he mentioned nothing about doing anything else to the engine. If he plans to rebuild sometime, then a cam such as that would be more reasonable.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:13 PM

im deffinetly leaning towards the LE2 package but not much more...the bottom end is stock but still pulling massively strong...i basically have a full bult on car and a bunch of suspension work i just dont put in my sig...i thought a LE2 would give me plenty of power...any buddy have a idea on what i would make with that set up?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 PM

im deffinetly leaning towards the LE2 package but not much more...the bottom end is stock but still pulling massively strong...i basically have a full bult on car and a bunch of suspension work i just dont put in my sig...i thought a LE2 would give me plenty of power...any buddy have a idea on what i would make with that set up?
the stock bottom end wouldn't be able to spin high enough to meet the full potential of that setup but it will still be probably in the high 300's
Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM

well i know i would never rev it that high...hell i usually dont crack 6300 on my tach so im not too worried about all the higher up horsepower...mainly i want to be in the upper 300 horsepower with a stock bottom end.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 AM

AI or LE packages are the way to go if you go h/c

if you go cam only I'd recommend the cc503
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM

yeah i was looking around at the cc503 and like it quite a bit...but wouldnt it be worth it just to call up lloyd and get at least a LE1 and have him make a cam for me...with a stock bottom end is it worth doing a LE2 or should i just even go cam only at this point?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 PM

it's all what your budget and goals are

if you can afford to and want to go h/c then by all means, if your budget only allows for cam-only and you believe you'll be satisfied with it then go ahead

how many miles are on your stock bottom end? don't be disillusioned by common belief that motors explode at xxx,xxx miles. I have 146k miles on my cammed LT1 that has seen tons of abuse with and without a bottle, and my friend just ran 10's last sunday on his 180,000 mile LT1
Old 12-20-2008, 02:04 AM

money really isnt a problem here...i would rather do things in one shot and spend alot now than little by little spending even more...im thinking the LE2 is gunna be my best bet...my car has like 93,000 miles and i might go nitrous in the future...never a big shot just something to help me out when i need it.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

well i know i would never rev it that high...hell i usually dont crack 6300 on my tach so im not too worried about all the higher up horsepower...mainly i want to be in the upper 300 horsepower with a stock bottom end.
You have conflicting reuirements.... a cam that is "aggressive as hell" is going to have a weak bottom end, and require 6,500-7,000rpm to make power on top. Definitely not a "street racer". If you aren't going to run higher RPM (and the required upgrades to support it) you aren't going about this the right way.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM

like i said i want the best set up for what i have now...thats why i want the LE2...i might do bottom end work but only when something blows.