LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

in process of changing plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:09 AM

in process of changing plugs

Driver's side was simple. No issues getting to the plugs or routing new wires.

Passenger side on the other hand was/is a PITA.

Took the tensioner pulley off under the car, so I can get to the opti.

Took the alternator out so I can get to #2..(That one bracket still got me several times )

Obviously took the intake elbow etc out.

Anyway, I put a curse on whoever designed the wire routing on the passenger side. What was the thougth process wrapping around the corner and behind those pulleys?

I also put a curse on the gorilla that muscled the factory plugs SOOOO tight on the passenger side.

I've got the plugs in, and the wires "close", but it was getting late yesterday evening so I figured I'd put the tensioner and alt back on the car in the morning (so I'd be fresh, and could see the belt/pulley/wire clearance)..

Q: There has got to be one of those 4 wire "gathering" clips under the alternator bracket.. (I can't see it)... How is that removed? ie. Which way is it pulled? Reason I ask, is because I had to cut the old wires to get them off, and although I've routed the new wires in those "wire grooves" at the corner of the engine, I imagine that something to hold them back once they turn the corner would be "GOOD" given the screwed up routing.

Thanks for any info/advice.

John T
Old 03-05-2007, 04:19 AM

Too late. I double cursed them last summer when I was changing my plugs and wires!

The engineering marvel of a spark plug harness under the alternator bracket is a friction fit. You can snake the straight portion of the plug wire (the side that plugs into the opti, another outstanding moment of engineering brilliance) between the bracket and the block, then plug it in and continue your wiring. Being a contortionist is a help too.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:23 AM

Wish I could help....but I just ripped all those damn clips off along with the wires when I did headers, and routed them the simplest way possible....so I don't really know what was supposed to be where (can see my routing in the sig....I believe it's a common way....at least it "felt" like it would be). If you aren't sure if there is another routing location by observation, it probably isn't worth the time and effort if you feel you have them routed safely. You will be thankful if you ever get headers at the ease spark plug swaps are...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 AM

the fast fix for that is this.... http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=104 the LT1 spark plug wire kit towards the bottom i didnt even route my behind the alternator again that bracket you are talking about pissed me off too much. just my 2 cents
Old 03-05-2007, 09:29 AM

You can see the wire holder in this photo from Shoebox's site, it right where the letters "Sh" are in the photo: http://shbox.com/1/accy_brkt.jpg
Old 03-05-2007, 09:45 AM

thx all

I appreciate the feedback..

Yeah, that pic on shoebox's site says it all..

I found those clips to be a PITA to open even when I was looking at them.

I've routed the wires that way, and zip tied them so that they should stay back from the pulleys/belt.

Next time I'll go the OTVC route... looks better too..

Seat of the pants wise on the test drive it felt a lot better... quicker throttle response, smoother etc..

As a buddy of mine likes to say "runs like a scalded ape" now..

thx again

John