LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

overheated now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Unhappy overheated now won't start

was driving the other day normal driving about 65mph my temp gauge read normal suddenly it spiked to the H and died, I towed it home it blew the head gasket for sure is blown (the oil looks like chocolate milk) but it will not start it sounds like its trying but it will not, I checked for spark on each plug and I have it, I can hear the fuel pump prime and there is pressure in the rail, I checked the ecm fuse and its good I replaced it anyway and still no luck, could my ecm have died?
Old 01-28-2018, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Re: overheated now won't start

If your head gasket is blown, there could be oil, coolant, or both in the cylinders. As the pistons move up and down, they’ll be splashing fluids all over the spark plug. If that’s the case, there’s no way it’ll combust.

Furthermore, if you did somehow manage to start it in that case, there’s a very strong change of hydrolocking the motor, and that usually means a bent rod.

So, please, don’t try to start it until you’ve drained the oil pan, pulled the top end, cleaned everything out, and reassembled with new head gaskets. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Also, your sig says you have a '96 LT1 5-speed. That’s not a thing. From 1993-2002, V8 F-bodies came with a four speed automatic or a six-speed manual.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
If your head gasket is blown, there could be oil, coolant, or both in the cylinders. As the pistons move up and down, they’ll be splashing fluids all over the spark plug. If that’s the case, there’s no way it’ll combust.

Furthermore, if you did somehow manage to start it in that case, there’s a very strong change of hydrolocking the motor, and that usually means a bent rod.

So, please, don’t try to start it until you’ve drained the oil pan, pulled the top end, cleaned everything out, and reassembled with new head gaskets. Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up I dropped the motor today and started disassembly today the plugs were practically flooded I hope it is not a cracked block, the main thing I was worried about was if ecu went bad I hate buying things like that from ebay you never know if it will work or not, I plan on rebuilding the entire motor I will know more in the next day or so.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:25 AM

Also, your sig says you have a '96 LT1 5-speed. That’s not a thing. From 1993-2002, V8 F-bodies came with a four speed automatic or a six-speed manual.
I have no idea how it got a 5 speed but there it is sitting in the garage most likely a swap from a RS model
Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ShawnP001
I have no idea how it got a 5 speed but there it is sitting in the garage most likely a swap from a RS model
In that case, the "no mods" part of your sig is wrong.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Administrator

If it’s really a T5 from a V6 RS, better budget for the cost of an upgrade before you make any serious mods to the LT1.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 AM

In that case, the "no mods" part of your sig is wrong.
not sure what the deal is man but I don't need to be flamed for asking a question no one else is doing this but you.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If it’s really a T5 from a V6 RS, better budget for the cost of an upgrade before you make any serious mods to the LT1.
I don't plan on making any mods except to paint it, I got the engine back together and everything seems fine but its still acting up when starting had a friend check it out and he said the fuel pressure regulator is most likely the culprit so I will get on that asap
Old 02-01-2018, 11:04 AM

Check the fuel pressure before you throw money at parts. I take it you are saying the engine is back together after replacing the head gaskets?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Administrator

not sure what the deal is man but I don't need to be flamed for asking a question no one else is doing this but you.
Calm down. No one flamed you. He was making an obvious joke....

Not off to a good start here.

Fred / Moderator